U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 08:19 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is a pretty good summary.

I'd add that while there was and still is some racism in Quebec towards black people (including Haitians), the classic stereotype associating black people with crime (and especially the dangerous young black male who poses a threat) is largely absent here. The most persistent negative stereotype about Haitians/black people here is that they're lazy.

I find this is a stark contrast between Quebec and the U.S., and even places in Anglo-Canada not that far away from Montreal like Toronto and even Ottawa.
Having lived in both Montreal and Toronto I would say this is true for the most part. Though I would say that Haitians do have a bit of a bad rep in MTL for being involved with crime. The biggest street gangs in MTL are known to be Haitian. I would still say though that Haitians are not viewed as negatively in MTL as Jamaicans are in Toronto. I also didn't hear Haitians complain as much about racism as you do from Blacks in Anglo Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 08:24 AM

3,768 posts, read 2,554,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
It's not like it did Haiti any good in the long run. It's slightly poorer than even Guatemala, and that's pretty damn poor. Guatemala is also looked down on by it's neighbors. It is in a similar boat as Haiti.

I understand why some Indigenous Guatemalans feel the way you do but indigenous people treat each other pretty bad too. I have seen it with my own eyes. Not to mention they love Mexican culture more than their own and are evangelical religious fanatics.
Haiti was poor because other countries France and the US actively worked to make sure it wasn't successful. France made Haiti pay for the war with billions and billions they didn't have forcing Haiti to stay in poverty. The US under Thomas Jefferson actively worked to block sugar from Haiti so it wouldn't be successful, and give ideas to other black people in the Americas. Haiti wasn't successful not due to itself, but to it's neighbors who didn't want it to be successful.

Last edited by sean1the1; 01-24-2019 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-24-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Haiti was poor because other countries France and the US actively worked to make sure it wasn't successful. France made Haiti pay for the war with billions and billions they didn't have forcing Haiti to stay in poverty. The US under Thomas Jefferson actively worked to block sugar from Haiti so it wouldn't be successful, and give ideas to other black people in the Americas. Haiti wasn't successful not due to itself, but to it's neighbors who didn't want it to be successful.
True, I am aware of this. But it's neighbors? You mean Dom. Rep and Cuba? How exactly have they held Haiti back>?

Old 01-24-2019, 08:53 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Having lived in both Montreal and Toronto I would say this is true for the most part. Though I would say that Haitians do have a bit of a bad rep in MTL for being involved with crime. The biggest street gangs in MTL are known to be Haitian. I would still say though that Haitians are not viewed as negatively in MTL as Jamaicans are in Toronto. I also didn't hear Haitians complain as much about racism as you do from Blacks in Anglo Canada.
There is also the fact that the hypercharged acrimonious rhetoric stateside resonates moreso in Anglo-Canada (incl. with the black population) than in Quebec.

So the fact that blacks in Anglo-Canada complain more about racism might not necessarily be indicative that there is more there than in Quebec.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
There is also the fact that the hypercharged acrimonious rhetoric stateside resonates moreso in Anglo-Canada (incl. with the black population) than in Quebec.

So the fact that blacks in Anglo-Canada complain more about racism might not necessarily be indicative that there is more there than in Quebec.
Oh for sure, was not trying to say that.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Oh for sure, was not trying to say that.
I know.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:44 PM

632 posts, read 286,012 times
Haitians do very well in sports in Quebec, especially soccer and boxing. However, even in swimming and hockey Haitian Quebeckers are doing their thing.

Jennifer Abel has represented Canada in the Olympics and other international competitions as a diver.

In hockey, that whitest of all sports (right?), Quebec has or has had Maxime Boisclair playing for the Saguenéens de Chicoutimi and the Draveurs de Trois-Rivières; Francis Bouillon as defenseman for the Montreal Canadiens; Anthony Duclair getting his start with the Remparts de Québec before going bigger; Maxime Fortunus also getting his start with the Ligue de hockey junior majeur du Québec; Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre starting out with this League as well; Georges Laraque playing for the Montreal Canadiens; Claude Vilgrain playing with the Voisins de Laval before joining the Vancouver Canucks.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:46 PM

295 posts, read 180,695 times
Quote:
You're largely right, though Quebec is most definitely part of the "West".

I'd say that there are concentric circles of political correctness. The innermost one encompasses the core Anglosphere countries and a few others from northern Europe that are of the Protestant tradition.

I'd argue there is another one level up from theirs where you'd find a lot of countries of the Latin Catholic tradition - much of central-southern Europe would be there, as would Quebec.
Yea the West is the only place you'll get political correctness cause the concept was made there.Even East Asian countries can have a no filter with their policies.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Yea the West is the only place you'll get political correctness cause the concept was made there.Even East Asian countries can have a no filter with their policies.
Russia and the Slavic world are not particularly PC.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:15 PM

295 posts, read 180,695 times
Quote:
Russia and the Slavic world are not particularly PC.
exactly...I mean West as in the original NATO countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas