U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 01:20 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,434,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz08 View Post
Haitians were only bashed by African Americans who basically bashed all immigrants, so much so that they used to pretend to be Jamaicans.
Yeah I knew several Haitians in Montreal that had lived in Miami before making their way up North. Some of them said they couldn't stand African Americans because the way they treated them back in the 70s and early 80s in Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz08 View Post
Haitians were only bashed by African Americans who basically bashed all immigrants, so much so that they used to pretend to be Jamaicans. The main reason is the way they arrive in other countries, mainly as poor refugees on small boats. People normally have a snobby attitude towards refugees. The fact that they are black and the sheer number of them eventually makes people want to push back.What has happened now is that Haitians finally started having some pride in their heritage, so they started bashing African Americans and creating a fake rivalry with Jamaicans to prop themselves up (A lot of the other nations in the Caribbean does this). What you are seeing now is another wave of Haitian bashing because many feel that they are getting way too arrogant, and many don't think they have earned the right to be arrogant and snobby. If you're an outsider(white person or other) it's easy to feel pity for Haitians and try to find all the positive things to say about them, but of you spend time around them especially the Americanized ones you may feel differently.
As someone who has been around Haitians most of his life (I have a person of Haitian origin literally sitting right next to me right now, and another not too far away), these notions are quite mystifying to me.

Yes, there are differences and they do have their cultural traits, but the idea that they have an inordinate amount of pride and cockiness relative to other groups in society, is not something I have observed in them.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:26 AM

6,515 posts, read 7,456,802 times
I don’t think Americans as a whole hate Haitians at all, however most feel deep pity for them. People look at the conditions in Haiti and wonder why that nation stands out in the Americas as a collasal failure. Millions of dollars of aid is sent, thousands of missionaries but yet it is still like that.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:57 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,927,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
You always hear about *various* other groups bashing Haitians (not just singling out one group).

Fyi - I am not Haitian.
The image of Haitians outside of Haiti has changed a lot for the better, for the reasons that you explain.

The problem however is that Haiti itself is a disaster as it current ongoing crisis shows. They do not have institutions that work so everything seems to end in a violent protest and then there is the extreme corruption and incompetence of what little government that does exist.

The DR and the Bahamas live in perpetual fear of this Haitian reality. And in the DR it gets extreme with even 3rd generation Dominicans of Haitian ancestry facing problems.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Haiti is probably the country that has been anti-white for the longest time in history.

From its very foundation the country was blatantly racist towards the white. One of the main guys in the independence movement and a follower of Jean Jacques Dessalines was Boisrond-Tonnere. He once said:

This is a myth taught to Dominicans to justify their own attitudes towards Haitians.

Even to this day Haiti is economically dominated by a mulatto elite who are very Europhile in their cultural association. And a stigma towards its darker citizens isnt exactly unknown in Haiti either.

The person who invaded the DR was a mulatto.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Any actions that are based on race is racism.

existence.
So the slaves should have embraced their masters and begged for slavery to continue? What subsequently happened to them isnt due to black rule as in fact The Bahamas and Barbados, 2 nations that are black ruled, have the highest standards of living in the Caribbean.

There is NOTHING that the slaves did to the white planters that wasn't also done to them, so why is the Haitian Revolution singled out as violent. Do you think that the other revolutions were a walk in the park? Research what happened during the Cuban wars of independence as an example.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
And yet, the White Polish did not suffer this fate...they had the same skin color as the slave masters and were not treated the same...how does that happen?...LOL...keep trying to make it look solely like racism and completely divorce it from the slavery that was taking place weeks before...oddly enough,you go to great lengths to provide a back story when people dismiss Dominicans as simple racists when it comes to Haitians...guess that one is complicated though...like I said, completely transparent...the agenda is quite clear
The Polish soldiers switched sides and joined with the Haitians, which just goes to show that the Haitians were anti white SLAVE OWNER, not anti white.

And the French? They bullied Haiti to compensate them for the loss of slaves and the loans that Haiti had to incur to do so were only fully repaid in the 40s. And there was a trade embargo against Haiti by slave owning nations determined to see it fail.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Th In Quebec, *diversity* committees or commissions are often headed by white men and no one thinks a thing about it. In Anglo-Canada and the U.S., they are always headed by women or, less frequently, men of *color*.

e.
And ensuring that women or people of color get voice is a bad thing? How can a white male, in a white male dominated environment really understand the issues that face women or POC? This is just the usual French attitudes of burying issues under the carpet and allowing status quo to remain.

In New York State the governor is a white male, the attorney general is a black female, the state comptroller is a white male, the heads of the state senate and assemblies are both black, with the senate head female.

When you tell me that a cancer can be cured merely by putting a bandage on it I will believe in this Francophile way of ensuring white male dominance by shoving aside nonwhites.

What I do know about Anglo Saxon cultures is that minorities have way more ability to discuss issues of racism and so its likely that many of these issues are worked on. France is certainly NOT an example of a country where non whites are doing well. In fact they do much better in the UK.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:26 AM

11,675 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Fair or not (and I submit that it is far from fair), how a community is treated will often boil down to how well the community's "home" country base is viewed. The more successful the home country base, the higher the likelihood that people view will said community in high regard. In the case of Hatians/Hatian-Americans, let's be clear: Haiti is FAR from perfect (and I'm trying to be nice here . . . that is not the descriptor I wanted to use).

I remember watching Anthony Bourdain's recent show's episode on Lagos, Nigeria. A young Nigerian woman stated that blacks will never get any respect unless there is a successful black nation. While I don't know if I'd take things that far, I think that the same general thought applies to what I wrote.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Fair or not (and I submit that it is far from fair), how a community is treated will often boil down to how well the community's "home" country base is viewed.
Correct. Haitians were treated based on the perceptions of Haiti. As people have grown to know Haitians these perceptions of them have changed, even if that directed to Haiti hasn't.

Having said that in the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos and the DR there are real fears that Haiti has created a problem of unsustainable immigration where about 20% of the Bahamas is now Haitian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas