U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 10:43 AM

22,292 posts, read 9,466,208 times

Advertisements

I live in South Florida where there is a sizeable Haitian population.

I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone at all denigrate Haitians or a Haitian. I've never heard anything--I think they are pretty well assimilated here, though I could be wrong. They have a thriving restaurant scene in Miami.

The fact that Trump is having 24,000 Haitians deported is not reflective of how people feel about Haitians. It is strictly a Trump/GOP policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 11:08 AM

11,675 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post

I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone at all denigrate Haitians or a Haitian. I've never heard anything--I think they are pretty well assimilated here, though I could be wrong. They have a thriving restaurant scene in Miami.

The fact that Trump is having 24,000 Haitians deported is not reflective of how people feel about Haitians. It is strictly a Trump/GOP policy.
No, its the law. More should start following it and upholding their oaths of office.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:17 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,927,333 times
Quote:

The vast majority of Haitians are legal residents/naturalized citizens. The Haitians who are threatened with deportation are on TPS which means TEMPORARY, based on the 2010 earthquake. Clearly if the intent is for these people to be here permanently then people would have been petitioning for their status to be changed to permanent resident. Haiti has recovered from the earthquake as much as it could. That it hasn't fully recovered is because of a larger issue of poor governance.

And in any case it began under Obama who didn't want more Haitians to be included under TPS, indicating that at some point he was going to end it had he remained.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
The vast majority of Haitians are legal residents/naturalized citizens. The Haitians who are threatened with deportation are on TPS which means TEMPORARY, based on the 2010 earthquake. Clearly if the intent is for these people to be here permanently then people would have been petitioning for their status to be changed to permanent resident.

And in any case it began under Obama who didn't want more Haitians to be included under TPS, indicating that at some point he was going to end it had he remained.
I am aware of this. I stated it is not reflective of the way people here feel about Haitians. That is true, correct?

And because 'they knew' does not mean it is right or that it 'has' to be done. Families are once again being torn apart, and I think if they are working legal jobs (as they are allowed to do) and paying taxes, they should be allowed to stay, rather than sending parents home.

This is a Trump decision for those protesting otherwise. Florida wanted to allow them to stay. And let's face it--this fits nicely with Trump's agenda.

"...And when it comes to Haiti, the Trump administration’s choice is a distinct Florida issue. Of about 50,000 Haitians who have been granted TPS since a 2010 earthquake shook the nation, 32,500 live in Florida. Gov. Rick Scott pressed Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly to let them stay back in May. In a Miami Herald op-ed Friday, Sen. Marco Rubio said removing TPS would “have an immediate and serious impact on individuals, families, and communities in Florida.”

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...-status-trump/

Old 02-28-2019, 12:44 PM

975 posts, read 1,963,744 times
Wishing to change TPS and remain in the country is not nearly as easy as one would think, I assure you.

https://www.fitzgeraldlawcompany.com...card-with-tps/

The idea of having to leave the US and return to the danger of the country you fled, be it poverty-striken Haiti or gang-infested El Salvador, is ridiculous. If immigrants are unable to get by in the country in which they´re living, they simply pack up and leave. It happened with Haitians in Brazil and many Latin Americans in Spain during the economic crises there. Migrants who don´t fit in society will eventually get into trouble with the law and face deportation. Other than that, what reason do people with TPS have to not have the right to normalize their situation after so many years? To force people to uproot themselves and wait years and years just to be readmitted to the country and pick up where they left off is just one of many examples that point to a maddeningly broken and inefficient system...and they wonder why people don´t come here "legally".

Last edited by aab7855; 02-28-2019 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 01:13 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,202 posts, read 1,578,494 times
Quote:
This is a myth taught to Dominicans to justify their own attitudes towards Haitians.

Even to this day Haiti is economically dominated by a mulatto elite who are very Europhile in their cultural association. And a stigma towards its darker citizens isnt exactly unknown in Haiti either.

The person who invaded the DR was a mulatto.

Man, preach....

Last edited by SLIMMACKEY; 02-28-2019 at 01:21 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Wishing to change TPS and remain in the country is not nearly as easy as one would think, I assure you.

https://www.fitzgeraldlawcompany.com...card-with-tps/

The idea of having to leave the US and return to the danger of the country you fled, be it poverty-striken Haiti or gang-infested El Salvador, is ridiculous. If immigrants are unable to get by in the country in which they´re living, they simply pack up and leave. It happened with Haitians in Brazil and many Latin Americans in Spain during the economic crises there. Migrants who don´t fit in society will eventually get into trouble with the law and face deportation. Other than that, what reason do people with TPS have to not have the right to normalize their situation after so many years? To force people to uproot themselves and wait years and years just to be readmitted to the country and pick up where they left off is just one of many examples that point to a maddeningly broken and inefficient system...and they wonder why people don´t come here "legally".
I agree. And I don't believe in open borders.

Once people are here, they establish lives and become families. So the kids are legal, but the parents are not. This is a horrible situation. These parents who are being sent home have to decide whether to leave their kids or bring them to a place of poverty and crime.

What really gets me is that many of the people here with TPS are working 10 times harder than a lot of very lazy Americans who collect SSID and other benefits rather than work. Haitians, like Cubans, are very industrious and most, if not all, work--they don't look for benefits so they do not have to work.

They contribute to the US and Florida's economy and they pay taxes. It is like cutting off your nose to spite your face to force these people to leave the lives they built.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:32 PM

7,437 posts, read 5,927,333 times
Quote:
I
This is a Trump decision for those protesting otherwise. Florida wanted to allow them to stay. And let's face it--this fits nicely with Trump's agenda.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...-status-trump/

If Obama cared about the Haitians under TPS he would have regularized them so that they would have received permanent status.

TPS is TEMPORARY so I just do not understand why anyone would have operated with the notion that at some point it wouldn't end.

If you wish to blame someone direct your rage to Obama. He was asked to regularize these people based on the fact that Haiti was never going to recover fully from the 2010 earthquake. The man not only refused but also had thousands of Haitians stranded in Tijuana in 2016.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:47 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,202 posts, read 1,578,494 times
Quote:
If Obama cared about the Haitians under TPS he would have regularized them so that they would have received permanent status.

TPS is TEMPORARY so I just do not understand why anyone would have operated with the notion that at some point it wouldn't end.

If you wish to blame someone direct your rage to Obama. He was asked to regularize these people based on the fact that Haiti was never going to recover fully from the 2010 earthquake. The man not only refused but also had thousands of Haitians stranded in Tijuana in 2016.

The President cannot naturalize or "regularize" any refugee/immigrant with a temporary status. I dont even believe that he can with by Executive Order. Capital Hill would have to pass legislation I would assume.

So blaming Obama for not "regularizing" Haitians, Sudanese, Nepalese, Nicaraguans, etc. is a bit disingenuous. To me it speaks volumes on certain politicians that want to lump those Haitians into the immigration debate with illegal immigration politics of the day. I do believe, as I think you do as well, that there should be some forward moving progress to naturalize those Haitians or others that want to stay and build lives for themselves.

Old 03-01-2019, 10:52 AM

975 posts, read 1,963,744 times
Take it from someone (a born and bred US Citizen no less) trying to move his family back to the States-- the system is f´d up, I mean maddeningly inefficient and bad. I am not fleeing anything so I have no right to complain about my situation, I feel for those seeking asylum or those who have TPS. We can blame this president and that for certain pivots in how immigration law is enforced (see prison camps on the border), but in the end, it hasn´t been right for some time and no one is trying to do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas