U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 14 days ago)

5,179 posts, read 8,025,013 times

Advertisements

I donīt know if anyone has been keeping track of the instability that erupted a few months ago in Haiti after the IMF tax hikes was put in place.

It appears that the instability flared up again. A recent corruption scandal has added fuel to the fire. Not too long ago Haitian president suffered an assassination attempt. There are rumors that certain political factions want to do a coup to the current president and force him out of power, despite that he was democratically elected by the Haitian people.

This video was taken by Haitiīs most important newspaper Le Nouvelliste to show how deserted the streets of Port-au-Prince were on Nov 19. Usually they are packed with people. The social unrest made most people stay home instead of going to work or to study or live their normal lives. The video starts in the wealthy Petionville suburb of Port-au-Prince, where most of Haitiīs rich live.

The wealthy suburb of Petionville also witnessed manifestations.

Does anyone has more hands on or reliable information of what is going on?

It seems that every few months some instability takes place in Haiti. A country canīt get on the road to development with constant social or political unrest. Why canīt they simply wait for the next elections and vote out the current president? No foreign investor is going to feel that his investments are safe in a country that is constantly unstable, and Haiti needs foreign investors. There arenīt enough rich Haitians to pull the country out of its underdevelopment. A country canīt develop a strong tourist industry with events like this appearing several times a year.

Last edited by AntonioR; 11-20-2018 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 12:59 PM

For the sake of comparison with the street tour by The Nouvelliste, this is what Port-au-Prince street scene is like on a normal day. The lack of activity is much more evident in the previous video.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:21 PM

5,662 posts, read 3,643,856 times
I suppose "wealthy" is a relative term. Petionville didn't took bad, but I wouldn't have pegged it as wealthy.

What struck me about these videos is the near-total absence of any kind of traffic-control devices on the roads. No directional signs, no regulatory signs, few pavement markings; and the very few traffic signals appeared to be non-operational. It must be a real pain to have to drive there. I did notice, however, that the streetlights appeared to be solar powered. Does that mean that they actually work and illuminate the roads at night?

Old 12-24-2018, 11:43 PM

Several testimonies of the disturbances that have shaken Haiti by people that were there and fled to the DR for their safety. All interviews were made in Dominican Republic.

At about 13:06 in the video timeline is the first time I hear a non-Haitian mention that the first time he went from Port-au-Prince to Santo Domingo (I assume this was his first time in the DR after years of visiting and living in Haiti) he was blown away by the marked difference in development. Until know I have only heard Haitians and Dominicans make such claims.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas