Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 01:57 PM

7 posts, read 5,074 times

Advertisements

Both places are amazing and I am not debating which one is nicer.

If you were an English speaking tourist which would be safer.

Let's compare Rio to Medellin for an example.

Is one city more dangerous as a tourist then the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 03:55 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
I think both are great, I love the feeling you get in both countries.

One thing I would say, there is currently a more positive energy in Colombia which is highly infectious and easy to get swept up in all that happiness. Brazilians whilst culturally just as fun loving and warm are a bit more down in the dumps lately and highly critical of the current climate.

As for Medellin and Rio specifically, I haven't been to Rio so can't comment but Medellin definitely runs rings around Fortaleza in activity and street life where I have been. Rio is also much larger than Medellin, larger than Bogota even.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:02 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I've been in love with Brazil since I was able to spend six months there back in 1997-1998. That being said, Brazil does seem to be going through some tough times these days.

While I prefer Brazil overall, in almost every conceivable, the two are very similar in so many ways. I've been planning a visit to Colombia, as a nice alternative to Brazil...and mostly because of all of the positive energy and enthusiasm that seems to engulf Colombia at this time as well.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:26 AM

990 posts, read 880,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalstorm View Post
Both places are amazing and I am not debating which one is nicer.

If you were an English speaking tourist which would be safer.

Let's compare Rio to Medellin for an example.

Is one city more dangerous as a tourist then the other?
I guess nowadays Medellin is overall safer than Rio but if you stay only in touristics spots of Rio (out of favelas / guettos) where are fulled of tourists and foreigner safety and only speak english are not problem it is pretty common over there.

Stay only ‘’in zona sul’’ south Rio, costal Rio, closer the beaches in some Hotel in districts like Ipanema, Leblon, Copacabana or Barra da Tijuca, pretty safe. There you will be in the better beaches and will be close the Cristo and Corcovado and others touristics spots, restaurants and not far from Lapa in the centro.

I don’t know Medellin so can’t say about it.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:23 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
I see that the OP is no longer a member in just 7 posts. That said, perhaps he/she will still read this or someone else will benefit.

I have been to both cities: Rio and Medellin. Definitely two of my favorite cities.

My Spanish is much better than my Portuguese so that is something for you to consider.

The short answer is they both have very similar homicide rates (based on most recent data available).

If you look at the link below it shows the Top 50 cities with the highest homicide rates. Brazil has a whopping 19 cities on the list. Yes, it is a big county but the USA only has about 3 or 4 on the list.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...0-residents-49

But Rio and Medellin are NOT on the list. By contrast, St. Louis, Detroit and New Orleans made the Top 50. The most recent data I saw had both Medellin and Rio at about 20 homicides per 100,000 residents. Neither city is Disneyland but use typical big city precautions and stay in the safe parts of each city and you'll be fine.

All that said, I agree with what others have stated, it does seem Brazil has been on a bad slide in recent years. Colombia seems to have its mojo on and while far from a paradise the overall tenor is just more positive right now.

Finally, as was alluded to in the title to the thread, both countries (Colombia and Brazil) are much more than these two cities. Brazil's land mass is larger than the continental USA. Colombia is roughly the size of Texas but with great geographic diversity and several interesting large cities. Lots to do and see beyond Rio and Medellin.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:05 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Colombia is roughly the size of Texas but with great geographic diversity and several interesting large cities.
Agreed with your points except Colombia is actually closer to twice the size of Texas than the size of Texas.

Colombia stretches from Detroit to Miami, New Orleans to Raleigh, St. Louis to the Bermuda triangle edge (almost).

Colombia True size by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Old 12-19-2018, 12:53 PM

881 posts, read 922,676 times
Yes, Colombia is roughly the size of Texas... and California lumped together. Colombia: 1,1 million square kms; Texas: 700.000 sq. km + California: 423.000 square km = 1,1 million square km.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:01 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
I knew Colombia was a decent size but I didn't realize how far North to south it stretched!: The Most Northern tip of Colombia stretches further North than Costa rica!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Agreed with your points except Colombia is actually closer to twice the size of Texas than the size of Texas.

Colombia stretches from Detroit to Miami, New Orleans to Raleigh, St. Louis to the Bermuda triangle edge (almost).

Colombia True size by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Old 12-20-2018, 04:37 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
^Urban Luis: I stand corrected regarding the size of Colombia. Thanks.

Old 12-23-2018, 02:43 PM

321 posts, read 333,769 times
Texas is smaller. Colombia is the size of California and Texas sprung into one. A far more reasonable comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas