U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:51 PM

251 posts, read 190,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Ok, a tentative hand of friendship snapped off, then Falkland it is. We lost hundreds of British service lives.These islands never were Argentinian as they didn't exist before your country existed, Spanish empire but not Argentinian, it was only a British whaling colony until then. Just curious when were the Malvinas islands that important to you?
But why should the Malvinas belong to Britain?

What business does a small island nation way up in the northwest corner of Europe have being down at the southern reaches of south america?

It's disgusting. A remnant of european colonialism.

The Malvinas are part of the American continent(s) and it would be best if they were given over to the Argentine republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 10:17 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,013,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post

What business does a small island nation way up in the northwest corner of Europe have being down at the southern reaches of south america?

The Malvinas are part of the American continent(s) and it would be best if they were given over to the Argentine republic.
For the same reason many countries hold overseas territories. Why does the US run American Samoa? Why do the French keep French Guiana and many others? Why do the Spanish have the enclaves of Ceuta and Melila?

The Falklands were never actually inhabited prior to their discovery by Europeans. Argentina mainly wants them for business related reasons.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 14 days ago)

5,176 posts, read 8,025,013 times
Quote:
Ok, a tentative hand of friendship snapped off, then Falkland it is. We lost hundreds of British service lives.These islands never were Argentinian as they didn't exist before your country existed, Spanish empire but not Argentinian, it was only a British whaling colony until then. Just curious when were the Malvinas islands that important to you?
I’m not Argentinian and have no stake in that issue. With that said, whenever you see people of any nationality having strong emotions about some small island or islands whose sovereignty is still in dispute, the real issue aren’t those tiny specs of dirt. Sometimes its pride, plain and simple. Other times its the potential wealth that may be hidden in the islands territorial waters (in many cases the territorial water is considerably larger than the islands themselves).

Imagine this scenario. One day within the territorial waters of Malvinas/Falkland they discover one of the largest oil deposits in the world. Lets assume the estimated wealth in those deposit would be enough to turn a country like Argentina into another Qatar or Dubai in wealth and development. Yet, Great Britian, which is on the other side of the planet, is the ‘accepted’ owner of those islands. That means that instead of Argentina, which is near those islands, benefiting from that wealth it will be the British on the other side of the planet that will reap the benefit. The next Dubai will be London, not Buenos Aires.

In a scenario such as that, to be British in Argentina can be a dangerous thing. lol

Old 01-13-2019, 01:26 PM

1,280 posts, read 434,104 times
Quote:
This is not about the Malvinas but about improving relations? deep breathe. But honestly Europe has its own problems without bothering South America, lets just close this.
The official name, including the name used by the islands' inhabitants, is the Falklands.

The islands' inhabitants want to be linked to the UK, and they have made that clear.

It's up to Argentina to improve relations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post

Sorry, these days (at least in developed countries), people generally get to choose their governments.

The inhabitants of the Falkland Islands have made it clear that they want to be linked to the UK. They do not want to be part of Argentina. It's not colonialism; it's self-determination and democracy. In a democratic referendum, with over 88% of the islands' voters taking part, over 95% of them voted to remain with the UK. Only 3 people (!) voted to be linked to Argentina.

The UK has business being linked to the Falklands because the people who live in the Falklands want it that way.

Last edited by PuppiesandKittens; 01-13-2019 at 01:38 PM..

Old 01-13-2019, 04:25 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,013,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I’m not Argentinian and have no stake in that issue. With that said, whenever you see people of any nationality having strong emotions about some small island or islands whose sovereignty is still in dispute, the real issue aren’t those tiny specs of dirt. Sometimes its pride, plain and simple. Other times its the potential wealth that may be hidden in the islands territorial waters (in many cases the territorial water is considerably larger than the islands themselves).

Imagine this scenario. One day within the territorial waters of Malvinas/Falkland they discover one of the largest oil deposits in the world. Lets assume the estimated wealth in those deposit would be enough to turn a country like Argentina into another Qatar or Dubai in wealth and development. Yet, Great Britian, which is on the other side of the planet, is the ‘accepted’ owner of those islands. That means that instead of Argentina, which is near those islands, benefiting from that wealth it will be the British on the other side of the planet that will reap the benefit. The next Dubai will be London, not Buenos Aires.

In a scenario such as that, to be British in Argentina can be a dangerous thing. lol
Small island disputes are a useful tool used by governments to boost nationalism. We’ve seen that happen with the Senkaku islands between Japan and China among others.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:40 AM

729 posts, read 381,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
The official name, including the name used by the islands' inhabitants, is the Falklands.

The islands' inhabitants want to be linked to the UK, and they have made that clear.

It's up to Argentina to improve relations.

Sorry, these days (at least in developed countries), people generally get to choose their governments.

The inhabitants of the Falkland Islands have made it clear that they want to be linked to the UK. They do not want to be part of Argentina. It's not colonialism; it's self-determination and democracy. In a democratic referendum, with over 88% of the islands' voters taking part, over 95% of them voted to remain with the UK. Only 3 people (!) voted to be linked to Argentina.

The UK has business being linked to the Falklands because the people who live in the Falklands want it that way.
The 3.000 English people living in Malvinas are only English colonist in America. If they want be English they must go back to London (they hold British passport) and give back the land to the Argentineans.

England only supports few thousands english occupying for that long this island down there because everybody knows there is much oil over there.

How I am Brazilian Europeans always ask me if we don’t feel the same about Guyana… No! People in French Guyana are clearly South Americans that want stay under French administration for economic benefit, they aren’t 3 thousands supported French over there only to justify a occupation of one oil rich waters.

Last edited by EVANGELISTTI; 01-14-2019 at 03:57 AM..

Old 01-14-2019, 08:05 AM

2,875 posts, read 1,547,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
they aren’t 3 thousands supported French over there only to justify a occupation of one oil rich waters.
Oil in the seabed wasn't even a thing back in the 1800's. These are people that have lived there for 8 generations, they aren't English, they are Kelpers. You can't just uproot these people from their home.

If that's the case then every European needs to get out of South America. What's the difference between the British colonisers of Falklands and the Spanish colonisers of Argentina? Nothing! That's what. Falklands just didn't go through an independence movement because they had no desire to.

The world has been formed the way it has pre-World War II. From thereon self-determination of the majority of inhabitants is the most important factor in identity and nationhood. Self-determination is a key component in the Colombian identity, the rights of the few must be protected legislatively even if Colombia sucks at implementing it.

I'm glad that Colombia abstained together with Chile by rejecting Argentinian sovereignty over Malvinas. Instead recognising the rights of the Falkand islanders.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 01-14-2019 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-14-2019, 01:29 PM

1,280 posts, read 434,104 times
Quote:
The 3.000 English people living in Malvinas are only English colonist in America. If they want be English they must go back to London (they hold British passport) and give back the land to the Argentineans.

England only supports few thousands english occupying for that long this island down there because everybody knows there is much oil over there.

How I am Brazilian Europeans always ask me if we don’t feel the same about Guyana… No! People in French Guyana are clearly South Americans that want stay under French administration for economic benefit, they aren’t 3 thousands supported French over there only to justify a occupation of one oil rich waters.

Nope, most of the inhabitants of the Falklands were born there.

They're still waiting for that oil. The UK spends significant sums on the Falklands.

If the "English" in the Falkland Islands need to be moved to the UK (which isn't their home), then I think all of us in the "New World" should return to wherever our ancestors came from. I'm confused, though: I'm part of a lot of different ethnicities, so do I perhaps summer in one country, winter in another, and spend time in others?

Old 01-14-2019, 06:59 PM

2,265 posts, read 1,757,220 times
I'm argentine and i have no problems at all to call the isles "falkland" and i think they are british now. Instead, what pisses me off are comments like this one below (bolded) that show a blatant ignorance of history. Anyone who has studied the facts objetively knows exactly that the British Empire invaded the then Argentine isles in 1833 and the rest is history, they make them fully british throughout history.
Saying things like this is as if a car driver run over you and still say that is your fault for crossing in his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I agree with England Dan here. The Falklands were never under Argentina to begin with. They were uninhabited until Europeans discovered them and then went through various phases of British, French and Spanish rule.

In theory, the issue shouldn’t be that big of a deal, but it remains a point of contention between the two countries. It doesn’t help that Argentina’s previous president Cristina de Kirchner decided to reassess her claim on the island.

Most Falklanders (99.8 %) have expressed a desire to remain a British Overseas Territory.

Aside of the Malvinas/Falkland issue, i think the main inictal tension btw both "countries" (whom otherwise have had a great relationship most of the time and many common traits) is from the fact that the British Empire tried (unsucessfully) to conquer the Viceroyalty of Rio de La Plata, just one decade before of the Argentine independence. I think that incident marked decisively the national awareness of Argentina regarding relationship with the British.

Quote:
Do you think relations between our countries will improve, I've always felt an affinity with Argentina from football to their wine and their passionate fans at rock concerts ( saw Oasis live 2009). Shame the war has clouded that.
rock itself. If you like Oasis, i think you would enjoy Soda Stereo's music too.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:12 PM

251 posts, read 190,008 times
Quote:

This is EXACTLY the case. Hence why it's disgusting that the UK is still occupying the Malvinas. They need to get out of South American waters and go back to the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or