U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 09:53 AM

1,635 posts, read 572,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I sort of agree, but you´re asking about the here and now. I drink coca tea actually, and I think there´s a huge potential market for that. But once again, you wanted to know what would happen if you went down there now. This is just what I´ve heard, but Evo Morales´ Bolivia is supposed to be pretty coca-friendly. Maybe you´ll have better luck in La Paz.
Thanks for your input. The world needs more bastions of freedom where humans can just simply enjoy such things without restraint. Why does every country have to be so uptight? The US’s ban on cocaine was based on racism. Coca-Cola used to have cocaine as an ingredient until the govt figured out that black dock workers in the South were using it as a stimulant that would supposedly make them more apt to rape their white women. What’s “coca tea” like? I once read that there is “cocaine tourism” where one can board a train and sample the purest forms of coke, not the adulterated crap found in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 11:26 AM

976 posts, read 1,967,255 times
Coca tea is very mild, probably less of a stimulant than black coffee to be honest, maybe on the level of green or black tea. It is definitely a diuretic, and tends to leave you with dry mouth. It´s not as bitter as green tea, and has a earthy...really best described as planty, flavor. It´s definitely an appetite suppressor and is supposed to help with altitude sickness, which is why it´s sold at the top of Monserrate in Bogotá.

You might be a little disappointed to learn that the best illicit product is said to be exported and not consumed locally. Don´t think that just because coca grows in Colombia, Ecuador, Perú and Bolivia that the product (which no matter what is processed using gasoline, diesel or kerosine...nasty...) is somehow purer out there. They make more money smuggling ¨the good stuff¨ out, that´s why we´re in this mess anyway, the demand overseas.

Maybe I´ve taken too long entertaining this whole thing, but I wanted to answer you honestly. I think if you came to this part of the world with a more open mind and just listened to people, you might change some of your concepts. Freedom is relative. I used to think Colombia was freer than the US because dudes could smoke weed in a public park, but now that I´m a father I´d like to be in that park and not worry about my 6 month old getting a contact high. I used to think it was awesome when my roommates and I had parties any night of the week with giant speakers and subwoofers, but now that I have to wake up at 5 every morning and I know the cops can´t be bothered with such things, I feel less free because my neighborhood has just enough people who don´t respect anyone to make it serious problem.

The issue of drug prohibition is a complicated one. I teach known mafia families who travel the world and do as they please, but you can´t even get from here to Cali in a bus without being stopped by soldiers at a checkpoint who are going to go through all of your personal belongings like they were in the United States with a warrant in their hand. Common people suffer the most from this crap, and no, I don´t think that legalization would be like waving a magic wand that would make the whole world right.

Last edited by aab7855; 01-21-2019 at 11:50 AM..

Old 01-21-2019, 05:59 PM

5,214 posts, read 8,037,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
Your crazy. You openly do coke anywhere in S. America you will be in a very nasty jail. Weird but in Peru you can openly buy and chew coca leaf. Never really did anything for me but the natives still do it.
The Aymara and Quechua indians have been chewing coca leaves for centuries if not millenia. Its very much a part of the culture in many Andean countries, especially in Peru and Bolivia. Having said that, coca leaves are one thing, cocaine is something else. I think the OP is referring to the highly addictive and destructive chemical product and not the more benign coca leaves in their natural state.

Chewing coca leaves help people relax, produces a weak buzz, and helps with height sickness. Some cities in Latin America (Mexico City in Mexico, Bogota in Colombia, Quito in Ecuador, Cuzco in Peru are some examples) sit in mountain valleys at very high elevation where the air is thinner and has less oxygen. People that live in lowlands or in coastal areas, where the air is thicker and has a lot more oxygen, upon arriving at a high elevation city often feel dizzy, may get nausea and a headache, their heart may beat harder or faster, and find themselves out of breath from doing something as simple as walking due to the lower levels of oxygen. Chewing on coca leaves alleviates many of those symptoms.

Coca leaves are not legal everywhere, but as I previously said, in countries such as Peru and Bolivia, where coca leaves has been a feature of the indigenous culture for centuries, it certainly is legal. That does not mean that cocaine is legal.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:30 AM

3,013 posts, read 1,648,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Coca tea is very mild, probably less of a stimulant than black coffee to be honest, maybe on the level of green or black tea. It is definitely a diuretic, and tends to leave you with dry mouth. It´s not as bitter as green tea, and has a earthy...really best described as planty, flavor. It´s definitely an appetite suppressor and is supposed to help with altitude sickness, which is why it´s sold at the top of Monserrate in Bogotá.

You might be a little disappointed to learn that the best illicit product is said to be exported and not consumed locally. Don´t think that just because coca grows in Colombia, Ecuador, Perú and Bolivia that the product (which no matter what is processed using gasoline, diesel or kerosine...nasty...) is somehow purer out there. They make more money smuggling ¨the good stuff¨ out, that´s why we´re in this mess anyway, the demand overseas.

Maybe I´ve taken too long entertaining this whole thing, but I wanted to answer you honestly. I think if you came to this part of the world with a more open mind and just listened to people, you might change some of your concepts. Freedom is relative. I used to think Colombia was freer than the US because dudes could smoke weed in a public park, but now that I´m a father I´d like to be in that park and not worry about my 6 month old getting a contact high. I used to think it was awesome when my roommates and I had parties any night of the week with giant speakers and subwoofers, but now that I have to wake up at 5 every morning and I know the cops can´t be bothered with such things, I feel less free because my neighborhood has just enough people who don´t respect anyone to make it serious problem.

The issue of drug prohibition is a complicated one. I teach known mafia families who travel the world and do as they please, but you can´t even get from here to Cali in a bus without being stopped by soldiers at a checkpoint who are going to go through all of your personal belongings like they were in the United States with a warrant in their hand. Common people suffer the most from this crap, and no, I don´t think that legalization would be like waving a magic wand that would make the whole world right.
Thank for your insights. I'd like to selfishly hijack the thread for a moment and ask how you like living in Pereira? How long have you been living in Colombia? Any pros and cons you want to share?

I ask because I have visited as a tourist on numerous occasions and have considered trying to make a move there....

Old 01-22-2019, 05:57 AM

976 posts, read 1,967,255 times
Hey, go ahead and message me, I´ll be happy to fill you in.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:05 PM

6 posts, read 1,077 times
I've lived in one and extensively visited another of the countries you mentioned and have never seen anyone do this in public. I think you would set yourself up as a target, personally.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:34 AM

320 posts, read 67,220 times
If you look like an american go ahead and do what you want. but have a zillion dollars to buy your way back.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:12 AM

18,568 posts, read 9,599,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Do any of these countries allow that type of freedom?
I lived in Peru and guarantee you that you would regret it if you tried it in Peru. I doubt Columbia would be much better.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:40 PM

5,845 posts, read 9,487,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Coca leaves are not legal everywhere, but as I previously said, in countries such as Peru and Bolivia, where coca leaves has been a feature of the indigenous culture for centuries, it certainly is legal. That does not mean that cocaine is legal.
There is a HUGE difference between coca leaves and cocaine. So much difference there's no comparison between them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I ask because I have visited as a tourist on numerous occasions and have considered trying to make a move there....
Why? Cost of living? Unhappiness with where you are at? Why Colombia? Why Perreira? What would you do there for work? What do you expect to achieve there? Why there and not some other country?
Me, personally, my first choice of somewhere to live is Spain. Substantially safer, way less problems, much more peaceful, and in most ways very similar in culture. The only reason I'd consider living in Colombia is because I have family there, but if I didn't know anybody there I'm not sure that I would consider it.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:56 PM

718 posts, read 478,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The Aymara and Quechua indians have been chewing coca leaves for centuries if not millenia. Its very much a part of the culture in many Andean countries, especially in Peru and Bolivia. Having said that, coca leaves are one thing, cocaine is something else. I think the OP is referring to the highly addictive and destructive chemical product and not the more benign coca leaves in their natural state.

Dozens of indigenous groups in Colombia have coca as part of their cultural traditions too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas