Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 09:30 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Why? Cost of living? Unhappiness with where you are at? Why Colombia? Why Perreira? What would you do there for work? What do you expect to achieve there? Why there and not some other country?
Me, personally, my first choice of somewhere to live is Spain. Substantially safer, way less problems, much more peaceful, and in most ways very similar in culture. The only reason I'd consider living in Colombia is because I have family there, but if I didn't know anybody there I'm not sure that I would consider it.
If you are a guy you shouldn't have to ask...but there are other things like the climate, perfecting a foreign language, beautiful geography, and a sense of adventure. Spain is nice but too cold in winter for me.

Not specifically targeting Perreira at all. Has nothing to do with costs as I make a reasonably good living in the U.S. Regardless, such a move is not likely to happen as I can't take my U.S.-based "professional job" with me. If I could work remotely I'd love to move down and give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 09:34 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
If you are a guy you shouldn't have to ask....
Cause you can't any attention from women at home.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:31 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Cause you can't any attention from women at home.
Not true...but you can believe whatever you want to.

Old 04-06-2019, 02:03 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
If you are a guy you shouldn't have to ask...
Does this mean you are a single guy and part of the reason for wanting to move to South America is to find a wife/girlfriend?

Quote:
but there are other things like the climate, perfecting a foreign language, beautiful geography, and a sense of adventure. Spain is nice but too cold in winter for me.
The climate of Spain does leave something to be desired. But what you gain in climate in Colombia you lose in the safety factor/social stability. You can walk around Madrid day and night without risk of being mugged. You can't do that in Colombia.

As for learning Spanish, I'm going to guess that's probably much easier for you in Spain than in Mexico or Colombia. Spaniards are accustomed to lots of people in their country from different parts of Europe whose accents and levels of Spanish proficiency are all over the spectrum. But in Colombia this is not the case. People are not as open to foreigners there and if you can't already speak Spanish fluently you're going to find it difficult to find people who are willing to be patient with you. If improving your Spanish is a priority for you, my recommendation is to live in Spain first, become fluent there, then you'll find it easier to integrate in South America.
I just caution you about moving to a place that's kinda "closed-in" culturally - you're likely to find it's not as welcoming as the impression you might have got when you were visiting as a tourist.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:30 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Not true...but you can believe whatever you want to.
LOL Then why? You are from LA, there are beautiful women all over the place.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:55 PM

18 posts, read 12,744 times
Dude, it's illegal. And down there, they have a way of locking you up and throwing away the key. Your embassy won't come to your aid, for doing drugs.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:06 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Astral_Weeks: perhaps you can open a new thread and we can go into further length discussing the pros and cons of moving to Colombia.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Coca tea is very mild, probably less of a stimulant than black coffee to be honest, maybe on the level of green or black tea. It is definitely a diuretic, and tends to leave you with dry mouth. It´s not as bitter as green tea, and has a earthy...really best described as planty, flavor. It´s definitely an appetite suppressor and is supposed to help with altitude sickness, which is why it´s sold at the top of Monserrate in Bogotá.

You might be a little disappointed to learn that the best illicit product is said to be exported and not consumed locally. Don´t think that just because coca grows in Colombia, Ecuador, Perú and Bolivia that the product (which no matter what is processed using gasoline, diesel or kerosine...nasty...) is somehow purer out there. They make more money smuggling ¨the good stuff¨ out, that´s why we´re in this mess anyway, the demand overseas.

Maybe I´ve taken too long entertaining this whole thing, but I wanted to answer you honestly. I think if you came to this part of the world with a more open mind and just listened to people, you might change some of your concepts. Freedom is relative. I used to think Colombia was freer than the US because dudes could smoke weed in a public park, but now that I´m a father I´d like to be in that park and not worry about my 6 month old getting a contact high. I used to think it was awesome when my roommates and I had parties any night of the week with giant speakers and subwoofers, but now that I have to wake up at 5 every morning and I know the cops can´t be bothered with such things, I feel less free because my neighborhood has just enough people who don´t respect anyone to make it serious problem.

The issue of drug prohibition is a complicated one. I teach known mafia families who travel the world and do as they please, but you can´t even get from here to Cali in a bus without being stopped by soldiers at a checkpoint who are going to go through all of your personal belongings like they were in the United States with a warrant in their hand. Common people suffer the most from this crap, and no, I don´t think that legalization would be like waving a magic wand that would make the whole world right.
Don't worry, you can talk to your child about what he or she will be doing when he gets a certain age. Fiesta!

Old 05-04-2019, 03:39 AM

6 posts, read 4,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Not sure, but thanks for explaining your username.
I just could not help bursting out laughing at your reply to the OP.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:19 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Thank for your insights. I'd like to selfishly hijack the thread for a moment and ask how you like living in Pereira? How long have you been living in Colombia? Any pros and cons you want to share?

I ask because I have visited as a tourist on numerous occasions and have considered trying to make a move there....
Oh laawdy I can imagine aab's moan fest that ensued - not left yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas