U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 10:50 AM

726 posts, read 380,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
[/b]

And Brazil only abolished slavery in 1888.

Brazil received many, many times the number of slaves that the USA ever did. In fact, northeastern Brazil is much closer to Africa by ship. In ancient times, it's conjectured that Brazil and West Africa were all one land mass.

But today, Brazil has only 2 or 3 times the black population of the USA. (although I know, it's hard to define race in Brazil.) Brazilian slaves typically died young, and left behind fewer descendants than U.S. slaves. As inhumane and sometimes brutal as American slavery was, Brazilian slaves were treated worse. Elderly slaves in Brazil who could no longer work, were usually left out the wilderness to starve. They were not fed and kept on the plantation, as slaves were in the USA.
I guess what make the difference is that Brazil stopped import slaves many decades before the slavery was forbidden. Brazil started import free Europeans workers and only when the country had enough workforce of millions europeans and its offspring was given the freedom for the slaves.

When Brazil became independent of Portugal in 1822 we had 4.8 millions people being 1.5 millions slaves, probably in 1888 the slaves were few hundreds of thousands.

In 1860 in the war against Paraguay hundreds of thousands of slaves were sent to the front (with the promess of emancipate who survived). Argentina made the same and erasure most of its black population in this war.
I guess most brazilian pardo (mixed mostly white) are in fact descendent of already mixed people (the free ones) from colonial times, and the ones who look more african are descent from the alived black slaves when slavery over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 12:13 PM

2,875 posts, read 1,545,141 times
I remember when I got ridiculed by NYwriterdude and CaribNY for saying that I go to 'El Chocó' on the Pacific Coast for my holidays. Have been several times actually and highly recommend it. I'll see if I can find the thread where we had this heated exchange.

Here's the Colombian government itself promoting 'El Chocó' as a tourist destination.

Lyrics
"I come from the soul of Africa, the spirit of the water, its magic and passion"

And in the Caribbean perhaps Colombia's most popular Salsa song of all time...

Lyrics
"In the 1600's when the tyrant ruled, in the streets of Cartagena this story occurred....DON'T HIT MY BLACK WOMAN!"

Old 02-11-2019, 01:56 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
I remember I was reading Spanish news online. There was an online article on Guatemala lifting all visa requirements for Colombians tourist to visit the country. I was rather saddened by some of the comments like 'why the hell would I want to visit Guatemala? If I wanted to see poverty and monkeys living in the jungle I would visit El Choco here in Colombia". "who wants to visit a country full of ugly indios". etc etc. lol

I had to look up El Choco online. It seems like a beautiful place.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:34 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 12 days ago)

5,170 posts, read 8,019,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I remember I was reading Spanish news online. There was an online article on Guatemala lifting all visa requirements for Colombians tourist to visit the country. I was rather saddened by some of the comments like 'why the hell would I want to visit Guatemala? If I wanted to see poverty and monkeys living in the jungle I would visit El Choco here in Colombia". "who wants to visit a country full of ugly indios". etc etc. lol

Guatemala is such a beautiful country and has an amazing collection of historical sites, both indigenous and Spanish. Oh well, their loss. I’m sure the more normal Colombians with means to travel had no issues with adding Guatemala to their travel plans.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

Really? Where did you see those comments, I'd be interested to see. It's shameful the Colombians that act this way.

They don't know what they're missing mate - Guatemala is the country in Central America that most interests me by a long shot. I think its among the top 5 destinations in LatAm for me.

Unfortunately across Latin America you get these ignorant hateful trolls. Remnants of an oppressed colonial mind set. However, its also important to realise there are A LOT of depressed, sad, lonely & hateful people that let their frustrations out online which skews reality. You even have people that pretend to be of another nationality just to spew hateful rhetoric and insight hate between rivalries. I know most people are non $hittty people, the internet just has a habit of attracting some of the worst & most closed minded in society.

PS: On a side note, my cousins had a blast with a bunch of Guatemalans when they visited my family's city of Armenia. It was Guatemala's first classification to the Copa America and although they lost heavily to Nigeria they still partied hard in Armenia (their host city). My family have fond memories of "the day the Guatemalans invaded" lol.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:17 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Guatemala is such a beautiful country and has an amazing collection of historical sites, both indigenous and Spanish. Oh well, their loss. I’m sure the more normal Colombians with means to travel had no issues with adding Guatemala to their travel plans.
Oh for sure. I have actually met Colombians in Guatemala. What struck me about the comment is that their attempt to insult Guatemala they insulted a region of their own country. I actually looked it up and El choco seems to cool to me. I would like to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Really? Where did you see those comments, I'd be interested to see. It's shameful the Colombians that act this way.
I don't remember exactly what website it was I will look for it. This was a while.

Quote:
They don't know what they're missing mate - Guatemala is the country in Central America that most interests me by a long shot. I think its among the top 5 destinations in LatAm for me.

Unfortunately across Latin America you get these ignorant hateful trolls. Remnants of an oppressed colonial mind set. However, its also important to realise there are A LOT of depressed, sad, lonely & hateful people that let their frustrations out online which skews reality. You even have people that pretend to be of another nationality just to spew hateful rhetoric and insight hate between rivalries. I know most people are non $hittty people, the internet just has a habit of attracting some of the worst & most closed minded in society.

PS: On a side note, my cousins had a blast with a bunch of Guatemalans when they visited my family's city of Armenia. It was Guatemala's first classification to the Copa America and although they lost heavily to Nigeria they still partied hard in Armenia (their host city). My family have fond memories of "the day the Guatemalans invaded"
Guatemalans are very fond of Colombia and its culture. I have actually met Colombians in Guatemala. Yeah there are trolls everywhere. I didn't take any offense to the comments. Most Colombians I met have been cool You know I love Colombia.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 02-11-2019 at 04:35 PM..

Old 02-12-2019, 07:07 PM

Tell me this song doesn't remind you of a Naija music video? The resemblance is uncanny the whole thing but especially from minute 2:55, Mr. Black from Cartagena...

Old 02-13-2019, 02:19 AM

7,558 posts, read 2,427,412 times
Quote:
Tell me this song doesn't remind you of a Naija music video? The resemblance is uncanny the whole thing but especially from minute 2:55, Mr. Black from Cartagena...

Wow...all day. I love Naija music videos...and this definitely resembles them. It’s a really nice combo of the Naija style but yet still very Colombian.

Love it! Thank you for sharing.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:13 AM

142 posts, read 33,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And please demonstrate to me a country that turned out like the US or Canada? You cannot because they don’t exist.

It’s just true. Britain was better at development than Spain was during the colonial era.
God it is sad that you would think that. Sometimes you make good points but sometimes you are just ridiculous.

First The US and Canada were not colonies in the same sense Jamaica or Nicaragua were. You know that.
the US and Canada were populated by white Europeans after the extermination of the natives. You now that.
whites have always been the majority in the US and Canada, not in Nicaragua, Jamaica or Trinidad.
saying that The British where better at colonizing because the US and Canada are successful countries and not looking at the other 100 countries the British colonized is the most idiotic thing you have said so far.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 AM

24,195 posts, read 17,579,330 times
Quote:
I remember when I got ridiculed by NYwriterdude and CaribNY for saying that I go to 'El Chocó' on the Pacific Coast for my holidays. Have been several times actually and highly recommend it. I'll see if I can find the thread where we had this heated exchange.

Here's the Colombian government itself promoting 'El Chocó' as a tourist destination.

Lyrics
"I come from the soul of Africa, the spirit of the water, its magic and passion"

And in the Caribbean perhaps Colombia's most popular Salsa song of all time...

Lyrics
"In the 1600's when the tyrant ruled, in the streets of Cartagena this story occurred....DON'T HIT MY BLACK WOMAN!"

I never ridiculed you for going to the Choco. You went on a rant on African Americans on why we did not want to visit places like the Choco. I said hell will freeze over before I go.

CaribNY said that African Americans who do have the resources to travel are just a couple of generations from poverty, so they have no desire to pay money to see another group of poor Black people. You can just go to any US slum for that. LOL

Go as many as times as you want. I love Spain and Europe much better. No interest in el Choco, and no further interest in another trip to Colombia. I'm not even sure why you would bring this up. But if you want to promote the Choco, leave me out of it.

Last edited by NyWriterdude; 02-13-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or