U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-13-2019, 09:41 AM
 
24,192 posts, read 17,574,394 times
Reputation: 9149

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
God it is sad that you would think that. Sometimes you make good points but sometimes you are just ridiculous.

First The US and Canada were not colonies in the same sense Jamaica or Nicaragua were. You know that.
the US and Canada were populated by white Europeans after the extermination of the natives. You now that.
whites have always been the majority in the US and Canada, not in Nicaragua, Jamaica or Trinidad.
saying that The British where better at colonizing because the US and Canada are successful countries and not looking at the other 100 countries the British colonized is the most idiotic thing you have said so far.
The Spaniyards slaughtered the Natives in Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, etc. Still didn't turn out like the US or Canada, or Australia, or New Zealand.

Britain did not have the Inquisition. Spain and Portugal did, which made their version of colonialism more ruinous.

I don't think any of the English colonies in America are as screwed up as Venezuela. None of them became communist dictatorships like Cuba.

Now of course English colonialism left horrible things as well. Look at the current racial situation in the US, and look at some of the other problems in US politics. Look at the poverty in the English Caribbean, and look at how many West Indians have to migrate. I'm not saying the British are the good guys.

But I am saying the brutality during Spanish colonialism, is a huge part in why Latin America lagged in development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2019, 10:20 AM
 
142 posts, read 33,635 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The Spaniyards slaughtered the Natives in Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, etc. Still didn't turn out like the US or Canada, or Australia, or New Zealand.

Britain did not have the Inquisition. Spain and Portugal did, which made their version of colonialism more ruinous.

I don't think any of the English colonies in America are as screwed up as Venezuela. None of them became communist dictatorships like Cuba.

Now of course English colonialism left horrible things as well. Look at the current racial situation in the US, and look at some of the other problems in US politics. Look at the poverty in the English Caribbean, and look at how many West Indians have to migrate. I'm not saying the British are the good guys.

But I am saying the brutality during Spanish colonialism, is a huge part in why Latin America lagged in development.
inquisition? you are now banging in the dark.
the inquisition was irrelevant.


all the countries you mention received a huge number of white settlers JUST ABOUT 100 YEARS AGO, NOT DURING THE COLONIAL TIMES- you know that
and Chile has a great number of natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 11:25 AM
 
Location: London, UK
2,870 posts, read 1,544,263 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I never ridiculed you for going to the Choco. You went on a rant on African Americans on why we did not want to visit places like the Choco. I said hell will freeze over before I go.

CaribNY said that African Americans who do have the resources to travel are just a couple of generations from poverty, so they have no desire to pay money to see another group of poor Black people. You can just go to any US slum for that. LOL
Not just that, you and CaribNY kept stating until you were blue in the face that it was a complete no-go zone despite never being there. AND not only that your remarks were disparaging reducing Chocoanos to 'Slummy-people' without anything to offer. I contested by saying I had been there, loved it and showed videos of other tourists going there.

In any case my point had validity. You just got all defensive about it like you're doing now. Many Black people in the States especially, have bought into this "fear" or uninformed jugement. The same "fear" tactics propagated to tarnish Black people within our societies. 'Young Black Expats' know what I'm talking about, you probably do too, you just prefer to go off on a tangent with all your defensiveness.

Young Black Expat



Luckily there's a renaissance in the black travel movement with people like Fli Heritage and Chanelle Adams expressing a want to go visit El Chocó. Even people that participate in this forum such as whogoesthere has expressed a desire to visit El Chocó.
I believe a re-connection of the black diaspora is a positive "weapon" to reassert self-esteem in the communities and to help disarm the power positions at play; in search of justice. I will not apologise for encouraging this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Go as many as times as you want. I love Spain and Europe much better. No interest in el Choco
I've lived in Europe all my life and have travelled almost every corner of Spain and then some. From Latvia to Poland to Ireland to Switzerland to Portugal, I've been blessed to travel the breadth of the continent, that doesn't mean I don't want to travel to return to Africa or Asia or the Americas.

Finally The Chocó should only be visited by those willing to see its immense beauty. Tourism is already up three-fold since we last spoke about it, you won't be missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 02:35 PM
 
24,192 posts, read 17,574,394 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
inquisition? you are now banging in the dark.
the inquisition was irrelevant.


all the countries you mention received a huge number of white settlers JUST ABOUT 100 YEARS AGO, NOT DURING THE COLONIAL TIMES- you know that
and Chile has a great number of natives.
Inquisition was very relevant as it essentially committed acts of GENOCIDE against Jews and Muslims and was more HORRIFIC than the HOLOCAUST as it was perpetuated on multiple CONTINENTS. In fact, the Catholic church (who wanted all non Christians dead) authorized Spain and Portugal to conquer Africa and the Americas and yes this is linked to the Inquisition and the Catholic Church itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 02:56 PM
 
142 posts, read 33,635 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Inquisition was very relevant as it essentially committed acts of GENOCIDE against Jews and Muslims and was more HORRIFIC than the HOLOCAUST as it was perpetuated on multiple CONTINENTS. In fact, the Catholic church (who wanted all non Christians dead) authorized Spain and Portugal to conquer Africa and the Americas and yes this is linked to the Inquisition and the Catholic Church itself.
Dude you have to read a book, or many books, the inquisition was pretty much irrelevant and is only relevant in the English speaking world. in the rest of the world it just a curiosity, irrelevant. You have to understand that all your positions about Spain, the Catholic Church, are wrong because you were educated in the English world and your education was biased and inaccurate due to anti-Spanish propaganda.

The Spanish Inquisition is often cited in popular literature and history as an example of religious intolerance and repression. Historians have come to conclude that many of the charges levied against the Inquisition are exaggerated, and are a result of the Black Legend produced by political and religious enemies of Spain, especially England.

All that you think you know is a lie.


Most modern research put the total number of people executed in the low 3000, but the number of 100% verifiable executions is only 828, in the whole 400 years of the inquisition. And you dare to compare it to the holocaust!! just to show how misinformed and ignorant you are about the subject and how you have not been able to acknowledge the bias of your education.

read this book, one of the most recent about the subject.

https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Inqui...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited by Snapshoot; 02-19-2019 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 02:59 PM
 
24,192 posts, read 17,574,394 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Not just that, you and CaribNY kept stating until you were blue in the face that it was a complete no-go zone despite never being there. AND not only that your remarks were disparaging reducing Chocoanos to 'Slummy-people' without anything to offer. I contested by saying I had been there, loved it and showed videos of other tourists going there.

In any case my point had validity. You just got all defensive about it like you're doing now. Many Black people in the States especially, have bought into this "fear" or uninformed jugement. The same "fear" tactics propagated to tarnish Black people within our societies. 'Young Black Expats' know what I'm talking about, you probably do too, you just prefer to go off on a tangent with all your defensiveness.

Young Black Expat



Luckily there's a renaissance in the black travel movement with people like Fli Heritage and Chanelle Adams expressing a want to go visit El Chocó. Even people that participate in this forum such as whogoesthere has expressed a desire to visit El Chocó.
I believe a re-connection of the black diaspora is a positive "weapon" to reassert self-esteem in the communities and to help disarm the power positions at play; in search of justice. I will not apologise for encouraging this.




I've lived in Europe all my life and have travelled almost every corner of Spain and then some. From Latvia to Poland to Ireland to Switzerland to Portugal, I've been blessed to travel the breadth of the continent, that doesn't mean I don't want to travel to return to Africa or Asia or the Americas.

Finally The Chocó should only be visited by those willing to see its immense beauty. Tourism is already up three-fold since we last spoke about it, you won't be missed.
I'm a fairly experienced traveler, having been to different continents and different places.

It's RACIST to suggest someone go to a place JUST BECAUSE there are other Black people there.

It's presumptuous to assume African Americans identify with Black South Americans or Caribbean. We may all be Black, but just because you have the same skin color doesn't mean you identify with each other, like each other, or interested in each other.

You're deliberately trying to promote the Choco because you have property there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 03:14 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,870 posts, read 1,544,263 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I'm a fairly experienced traveler, having been to different continents and different places.

It's RACIST to suggest someone go to a place JUST BECAUSE there are other Black people there.

It's presumptuous to assume African Americans identify with Black South Americans or Caribbean. We may all be Black, but just because you have the same skin color doesn't mean you identify with each other, like each other, or interested in each other.

You're deliberately trying to promote the Choco because you have property there.
Sure dude. Whatever you say - everyone's entitled to their own opinion, shout RACIST all you want. Luckily there are people like Fli, Chanelle, YBE, Whogoesthere that are on my same wave length and of course I'm not suggesting everyone black should go there because they're black but I am going to stand up for people & their homes you and Caribny quick to disparage without ever having gone there, when its a beautiful place with a lot to offer.

My property in the Choco is a rustic (so as not to say run-down) cabin, not apt for paying guests. It was an impulse buy because I fell in love with the place (plus it was dirt cheap). My experiences of the Choco are just that, genuine experiences.

Waiting excitedly for your next defensive, deflecting and/or disparaging comments - Not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 03:29 PM
 
2,305 posts, read 941,251 times
Reputation: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The fact remains that between 1502 and 1866, of the 11.2 million Africans, only 388,000 arrived in the United States, while the rest arrived in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Most of the black populations in Latin America bred themselves out and disappeared in colonial times through racial admixture. Mexico and Argentina are prime examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 03:38 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,870 posts, read 1,544,263 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Mexico and Argentina are prime examples.
BS! In Argentina at least black people were purposefully exterminated by sending them to the front line in the independence and Paraguayan war (triple alliance war) with the promise that any that survived would be emancipated. Only a handful did in what was Latin America's bloodiest ever war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2019, 03:47 PM
 
2,305 posts, read 941,251 times
Reputation: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The truth is that the map illustrates the truth so even if I post a map with the actual numbers yu will dispute that TRUTH as well.

As I said, many Latinos will argue to the death attempting to deny the erasure of African descendents in their respective Latin countries. I once had a Salvadorian beam with pride to tell me that there were no African descendants in the country of El Salvador.
It's because today, there are few black people left in most of those countries. Most Mexicans have never seen black people, why would you expect them to know about the black population that disappeared in the colonial period?

The irony of that "Black in Mexico" documentary, is that they couldn't find any identifiable black Mexicans for the show. Every once in a while there would be a close up of a Mexican with curly hair or unusually dark skin. No actual black people. It was really just a documentary about the black population that existed historically.

In Argentina it's the same thing. The black minority disappeared long ago, so they were forgotten about. There's no black people there today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top