U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 11:05 AM

7,437 posts, read 5,932,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Your post makes no sense. The discussion has little to do with Caribbean people yet you are intent on making assumptions about an entire region which contains significant variation in terms of racial perception.

And let’s be clear. No one said Will Smith is not black in the Caribbean.

Clearly you have personal issues with Caribbean people to the point that you feel the need to make false statements about people with no relation to you. Quite pathetic.
His problem is that statistics shows that in the USA Caribbean black immigrants out perform black Americans. He would want us to be another poor immigrant group that he can look down on but he is frustrated that he cannot so periodically he bursts out into anti West Indian hysteria. An explanation that migration self selects the most driven people isnt something that he can accept.

He wants to promote that I think that I am better than black Americans when in most public posts by non blacks I openly defend black Americans. This because I am not delusional to think that those who despise black Americans (whites and light skinned Latin American elites) will view me any differently. What is interesting is he has sometimes joined with these light skinned Latin American elites against me when we discuss racism in Latin America. So this isnt some "proud black man" that he is trying to represent himself as being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 06:26 AM

387 posts, read 113,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
There was never anything similar to the one drop rule in Latin America people of partial Black ancestry usually do not consider themselves to be Black Africans just as they usually don't consider themselves to be Spaniards or Portuguese or Amerindians, in general they understand those are components that make up a Brazilian, Colombian, Cuban, Puerto Rican etc but that's about it. If you look white in Latin America you're white, if you look mixed you're mixed very few people want to be Black even if they're dark. That's just the way it is 90 million people in Brazil don't claim Afro-Latino ancestry this video is pretty ridiculous as it's propaganda to spread the USA concept of race and race relations it looks like the Afro-centrists are doing a pretty good job of indoctrinating a few communities of their insanity.

In Cuba people with visible black ancestry, no matter if minimum, are not black, but not white either, there are about 100 names to classify them.
There are people that could pass as white in the US, but in Cuba are called jabaos, etc.

Last edited by CHESTER MANIFOLD; 03-30-2019 at 07:01 AM..

Old 04-01-2019, 08:41 AM

9,531 posts, read 9,414,676 times
How often do you see black Latin Americans in the movies or television?

Old 04-01-2019, 02:17 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 17 days ago)

5,202 posts, read 8,032,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How often do you see black Latin Americans in the movies or television?
Outside Dominican Republic and Cuba, very rarely. More are now appearing on n Colombian movies, but its nowhere where it should be, but getting there.

There are some countries where they are almost non-existance (Uruguay is an example) and in other areas they are mostly foreigners for now (Santiago de Chile). But in most Latin countries they are quite a minority.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:13 PM

24,217 posts, read 17,610,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
His problem is that statistics shows that in the USA Caribbean black immigrants out perform black Americans. He would want us to be another poor immigrant group that he can look down on but he is frustrated that he cannot so periodically he bursts out into anti West Indian hysteria. An explanation that migration self selects the most driven people isnt something that he can accept.

He wants to promote that I think that I am better than black Americans when in most public posts by non blacks I openly defend black Americans. This because I am not delusional to think that those who despise black Americans (whites and light skinned Latin American elites) will view me any differently. What is interesting is he has sometimes joined with these light skinned Latin American elites against me when we discuss racism in Latin America. So this isnt some "proud black man" that he is trying to represent himself as being.
I don't live in the US. What do I care about Caribbean people in the US or in the Caribbean? I have no general interest in the Caribbean, period, and I am entitled to my personal interests.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
In 2006 the Colombia census showed 11% as "Afro descendants". This was up from around 2% in the previous census. Did this population magically explode? No. It is how they asked the question that led to a different response. The first time they asked about "black". Few wanted to be described as such. The second time they included mixed categories that Colombians use that imply some level of African descent. They got 11%. And there are some who argue that the true number is actually closer to 25% but many lighter skinned mixed peoples whose Afro ancestry is not obvious prefer to fit into the broader mixed population.

You cannot use Bogota as a definition of black Colombia because Bogota isnt a "black space" in Colombia and in fact i have heard that it is one of the more racist parts of that country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDNJoeSAAb8

This is a summary of a film that was made by PBS and you will find similar ones from other sources.

You come from a one drop culture so you see one drop wherever you go. The reality is that the USA is NOT really a one drop culture. Look at the current debate about Will Smith being used to play the role of Serena's father. Or abut Zoe Saldana playing Nina Simone. So even in the USA there isnt one monolithic definition of what being "black" is. There is rampant skin colorism and defensiveness as a result of this among black Americans. Even though in the USA the ODR forces all of this groups to fall under one umbrella.

So in Brazil where a black identity is weak (only 8% admit to being black) and where people are encouraged to negate their "blackness" why do you think that it will be easy to determine who is or isnt black? Most of the time it is "bad" to be black, but because racial identities in Brazil are more fluid, one could have claimed (or invented) a black great grand mother to benefit from affirmative action, hence the "who is consider black" theme of the PBS documentary.

Now as to my visiting Brazil. I am not Will Smith. I am more Malcom Warner, so in Brazil I KNOW what it is like to be darker. You see in the confusion of Brazil they will claim that I am not "black" (you have to be Wesley Snipes) but they will treat me as if I am black. So I had more microaggressions directed against me in Rio than I did in NYC in that era. You will also encounter some microaggressions but less than I would and poor Wesley Snipes would find life even worse.

So I have a baseline as to being black in Rio and in Salvador, the two cities that i have visited. So I can build from that baseline comments made by others who have been since. And I have spoken with both American and Caribbean blacks, so have received perspectives from people whose racial perspectives will differ.

when people make comments about Brazil I can see to what extent their comments align with the Brazil that I saw 30 years ago. Their assessment when I offer my perspective is that it has improved, but only marginally. And black Americans also have a tougher time attempting to understand weak "black identities" and also that phenotype matters in determining this identity and how one views "blackness".
Proof that people can claim a Black great grandmother to benefit from affirmative action in Brazil? Especially when they require you SEND in PICTURES to determine.

You know, hair, skin, eyes, complexion. When people are genuinely honest they know how to determine who has African ancestry (visibly) and who doesn't. This is anywhere in the world.

You also have not been to Brazil in how many decades?

Yet you speak as if you have lived there for many years.

Your problem is you seem to think you are the absolutely authority on anything vaguely resembling Black people or having the most superficial connection.

Frankly I really don't give a $hit what some Brazilian calls himself. He can all himself a pig, purple eggplant, or an ape for all I care.

With that said, I do think you falsely present yourself as being an expert in Afro Brazilians when you have little real contact and are not in Brazil PRESENTLY to experience changes or developments in attitude (negative or positive).

You really should learn to shut up on Black topics. You drag them out to death on ridiculous and stupid tangents.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:45 AM

279 posts, read 151,848 times
Americans from Canada to Argentina all want to be European. They were colonised by European settles. They look up to Europe.

That's it. There's no room for Africa in the mindset of Americans for the most part.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:48 AM

279 posts, read 151,848 times
Quote:

Most of the Colombian population lives up in the Andes. African admixture there is very little specially in cities like Bogota (country's capital and largest city), Bucaramanga, Cúcuta, Ibagué, Manizales, Armenia, Pereira, Tunja, Neiva, Medellín, etc.

Even in the Caribbean, the African input is not as much. They are predominant in the Pacific Coast, one of the country's least populated areas.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post
Americans from Canada to Argentina all want to be European. They were colonised by European settles. They look up to Europe.

That's it. There's no room for Africa in the mindset of Americans for the most part.
I actually live in Europe. With that said I’m obviously not white. The problem is mixed people do not look white to white people.

I’m proud of my entire family history, and that includes my African slave ancestors, as well as my Jewish ancestors.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oraculo View Post

Though people in the Caribbean and Blacks in Latin America are culturally more African
than African Americans. Santeria, candomble, obeah, among other African based religions.

There are many people who proudly speak a Native language. City Data just attracts lying racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or