U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-05-2019, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
5,809 posts, read 9,467,884 times
Reputation: 2950

Advertisements

How about we quit talking about race, and talk about human beings instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2019, 02:49 AM
 
294 posts, read 180,340 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
His problem is that statistics shows that in the USA Caribbean black immigrants out perform black Americans. He would want us to be another poor immigrant group that he can look down on but he is frustrated that he cannot so periodically he bursts out into anti West Indian hysteria. An explanation that migration self selects the most driven people isnt something that he can accept.

He wants to promote that I think that I am better than black Americans when in most public posts by non blacks I openly defend black Americans. This because I am not delusional to think that those who despise black Americans (whites and light skinned Latin American elites) will view me any differently. What is interesting is he has sometimes joined with these light skinned Latin American elites against me when we discuss racism in Latin America. So this isnt some "proud black man" that he is trying to represent himself as being.

Yea it doesn't matter you and your lover were getting along in another thread and now you guys are having another domestic dispute.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't live in the US. What do I care about Caribbean people in the US or in the Caribbean? I have no general interest in the Caribbean, period, and I am entitled to my personal interests.
Yet you are in a thread speaking on Caribbean people being delusional and what they think and how they should think. You and your lover couldn't even spot a fake wanna posing as Dominican on this forum.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
CaribNY is certainly putting Caribbean people in it, and yes, they are delusional. Non Blacks do not easily or readily distinguish between Blacks just because someone is lighter or darker. In short, to non Blacks will is Black everywhere, and if Caribbean people cannot process that it is MASS DELUSION based on SELF HATE.

People know what Black people look like ANYWHERE in the world.

Anywhere Will Smith goes, he is identifiable as BLACK. The Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2019, 01:23 PM
 
24,192 posts, read 17,574,394 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
How about we quit talking about race, and talk about human beings instead.
Definitely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 12:53 PM
 
24,192 posts, read 17,574,394 times
Reputation: 9149
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Yea it doesn't matter you and your lover were getting along in another thread and now you guys are having another domestic dispute.




Yet you are in a thread speaking on Caribbean people being delusional and what they think and how they should think. You and your lover couldn't even spot a fake wanna posing as Dominican on this forum.
My bachelorís degree from Cornell University is in history, with a minor in Latin America studies. Iíve been to two countries in or touching the Caribbean Sea. The Dominican Republic and Colombia. Someone was salty that in my travels I had no interest in the Anglo Caribbean. But itís my money paying for my travels, and I will go where I please.

Now go back to your motherís basement and get a job, itís obvious you live off a government check and have never traveled anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 10:07 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Mexico never had many Black people to begin with. ....

Actually Mexico used to have one of the highest populations of enslaved Africans in the Americas. Over 200k were transported to Mexico, most arriving between the 1520s and the 1650s. This was the largest population in that era.

What happened was that frequent slave rebellions led to Spanish landowners to use Indian/mestizo labor from the mid 17th C. Not needed anymore the enslaved peoples were able to blend into the Indian/mestizo populations and so were absorbed. They remain visible in isolated places with the largest populations on the Pacific coast below Acapulco, with some also around Vera Cruz.

Just under 1.5 million people in Mexico identify as black or Afro Mestizo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 10:10 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
False! Mexico received a roughly equivalent number of African slaves that the United States did.
Not true. They received 200k vs. just under 475k into the USA direct from Africa with maybe another 100k arriving from the Caribbean.

The miscegenation of blacks in Mexico isnt the result of some benign plan however and those who are visibly "black" are treated horrendously. They need a Black Lives Matter movement in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 10:14 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
CaribNY is certainly putting Caribbean people in it, and yes, they are delusional. Non Blacks do not easily or readily distinguish between Blacks just because someone is lighter or darker. In short, to non Blacks will is Black everywhere, and if Caribbean people cannot process that it is MASS DELUSION based on SELF HATE.

People know what Black people look like ANYWHERE in the world.

Anywhere Will Smith goes, he is identifiable as BLACK. The Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa.
Non blacks in fact differentiate between blacks with different skin colors. Where do you think this skin colorism started. It did because people who are lighter got preferential treatment.

And yes even in the USA whites see Will Smith and Wesley Snipes as being different and attach different prejudices to each. Why do you think that blacker actresses have a tougher time getting roles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 10:17 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
I live here half the year and must say that you will be surprised...a lot of my "pardo" and "cafuso" friends here will openly claim blackness over anything else. s
I note the use "a lot". But then we see the census and it says that 8% of the population self identifies as "preto". Please explain if you think I am wrong. Do you really believe that only 8% of the population has very visible Afro ancestry? If not how much and is there general consensus in Brazil as to who is or who isnt "black", as there is in the USA?

A group is becoming "woke" and I made reference to that, but clearly this isnt a norm.

Last edited by caribny; 05-07-2019 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 10:25 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Im not trying to discredit anyones POV, but to your point you are correct. I live in Rio 6 months out of the year. There is some truth to what both of you are saying. But yes, the country is at the very least 50% "mistura".
In fact you made my point. 50% are NOT calling themselves "black". 8% do. Do you think that only 8% are black? Is there a well understood agreement in Brazil as to who is or isnt "black". In fact you are making my point though I think that your North American sensibilities blind you to that fact.

And even in the USA black music and style is loved, usually more than black people are so the popularity of Afro Brazilian culture doesnt impress. Now do describe the millions of "black" Brazilians who have managerial jobs in Corporate Brazil if that nation is such an earthly paradise for blacks. And I mean "black", not mixed, because yes skin color matters a huge amount in Brazil but only 8% attach black when the census taker comes around.

The fact that Bahia is much more African than is the USA is because large numbers of slaves were illegally trafficked AFTER the slave trade should have ended so that when slavery ended in Brazil large numbers of people were either African born or had parents who were. In fact some even RETURNED to their communities in Nigeria/Benin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 10:30 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,923,923 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't live in the US. What do I care about Caribbean people in the US or in the Caribbean? I have no general interest in the Caribbean, period, and I am entitled to my personal interests.
Great so given that you display great disregard for Caribbean people why bring us up. Ignore us and we will ignore you.

I find it funny that here are you pushing yourself as this Afrocentric man, screaming that someone with minute Afro ancestry should call themselves "black" and yet you run as far away from black people as you can. You dont even visit regions in Latin America with sizeable black populations.

Last edited by caribny; 05-07-2019 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top