U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 08:02 AM

5,542 posts, read 8,202,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
I think the most people from the Middle East would be in countries like Argentina. But the MENA in Latin Americans might of very will came after Decree of Alhambra, alot of conversos and went into Spanish territories.
Maybe in numbers they headed fro countries like Argentina, but they had a profound impact in other countries too. Mostly because most focus on being in commerce, which through the years made many of them rich and influential.

Actually, the richest person in Latin America is in part of Middle Eastern extraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner
Yea of course dark skin is the norm but there are some Africans that have natural light skin like the same skin tone as Paula Abdul ,Debarge or Prince, untinged and unadmixed like you said but not the norm .

Africans shipped to the Americas were basically taken to many places that were of the same latitude as their homeland both in South America and the Caribbean. Did many people of African slaves and people of African descne become lighter? yea ! But that doesn't mean they didn't have light skinned ones. The term ''redbone'' was a name for igbos since many of them came in the light shade,that name carried on in the diasporas from the Caribbean to the Americas.
Those people were very few in these hemisphere, I’m willing to say in the single digits. The people that have lighter skin in this hemisphere show significant European admixture in the DNA. In places like Haiti or most of the English islands in the Caribbean where the people are over 80% African as the national average they are very dark. Light skin folks are not even considered to be anything other than mulattoes and there is a very visible reason for that. If the rest weren’t negligible it would be considered.

Redbone usually means a person is mixed with indian (which also happen to be false) and mostly used in the USA. Its usually used to a mulatto and so is high yellow, also mainly in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner
I usually hear the term moreno(a) for someone that is black by Latinos.
I see both terms on an equal basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 10:03 AM

Another thing that often is seen in the USA (more online than in person) is pretending that the European ancestry is really indian. Whole generations grow up believing this. Then someone takes a DNA test and discover that their Native American is actually 0% and most of what they thought is indian turns out to be European. Basically, the whole lie basically unravels after generations thinking it was indian blood. Usually a family member gets motivated to find the indian via DNA and also discover that there is no DNA to speak of. This happens mostly in some African American families.

The few that do have some indian blood then run the risk of being rejected by the tribe. Some tribes have a limit of African blood while others reject anyone with any African blood. I find this ridiculous when you take into account the large number of tribes in the USA where most, if not all, the members are a minority indian. Its almost a joke. Some tribes though accept anyone with the tribes DNA, but these are more the exception than the rule. I also know that in Canada some tribes require at least 5% of the tribes DNA to be admitted, which is such a small part of someone’s DNA.

They try very hard to deny the European ancestry. For many its not as if they come out with less than 1%, but exactly zero blood of indian origin.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:23 AM

7,875 posts, read 2,553,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

Those people were very few in these hemisphere, I’m willing to say in the single digits. The people that have lighter skin in this hemisphere show significant European admixture in the DNA. In places like Haiti or most of the English islands in the Caribbean where the people are over 80% African as the national average they are very dark. Light skin folks are not even considered to be anything other than mulattoes and there is a very visible reason for that. If the rest weren’t negligible it would be considered.

Redbone usually means a person is mixed with indian (which also happen to be false) and mostly used in the USA. Its usually used to a mulatto and so is high yellow, also mainly in the USA.

I see both terms on an equal basis.
No, not true for the English-speaking Caribbean. There are other groups so every lighter person is not assumed to be mulatto. For example, in Dominica, the lighter person may be mixed with Amerindian. In other places, the person may have a light Indian parent (origin in India). Depending on the country, they may be mixed with Chinese. People are well aware of this so the bolded statement simply is not true.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
No, not true for the English-speaking Caribbean. There are other groups so every lighter person is not assumed to be mulatto. For example, in Dominica, the lighter person may be mixed with Amerindian. In other places, the person may have a light Indian parent (origin in India). Depending on the country, they may be mixed with Chinese. People are well aware of this so the bolded statement simply is not true.
I forgot about that minority in the English Caribbean, was thinking more about Trinidad & Tobago which is different from other islands in the group and generally. Outside of Trinidad & Tobago, in what island(s) are they more than the mulattoes and/or more than 5% of the population?

Old 06-17-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I forgot about that minority with the English Caribbean. Outside of Trinidad & Tobago, in what island are they more than the mulattoes and/or more than 5% of the population?
Not sure which minority you are referring to, as three were mentioned. The point being though that it isn’t automatically assumed that people are mulatto across the English-speaking Caribbean because other ethnicities exist and have mixed into the population.

In Dominica, people mixed with Amerindian are all over and of various complexions. Their population is 3 percent officially, which is larger than the European/other category. The mixed population is 9 percent, with no specifics given.

St Vincent isn’t over 80 percent African but East Indians are 6 percent and Amerindians (Caribs) are 2 percent. Europeans are 4 percent. Mixed people are 19 percent. It’s not likely that every mixed person with lighter skin will be assumed a mulatto. Not with other groups being significant and having mixed in to some degree.

Even in Jamaica, where what is considered light is seen as brown in many other islands, they might be quicker to call you “c*****” than see you as a mixed white person. Just depends on your features.

What you said may hold true for somewhere like Anguilla or St Kitts...

But again, people aren’t just going to assume that your mix is European throughout the English-speaking Caribbean just because your skin is lighter. It depends on the island.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:22 PM
AFP

6,991 posts, read 4,369,533 times
Quote:
Another thing that often is seen in the USA (more online than in person) is pretending that the European ancestry is really indian. Whole generations grow up believing this. Then someone takes a DNA test and discover that their Native American is actually 0% and most of what they thought is indian turns out to be European. Basically, the whole lie basically unravels after generations thinking it was indian blood. Usually a family member gets motivated to find the indian via DNA and also discover that there is no DNA to speak of. This happens mostly in some African American families.

The few that do have some indian blood then run the risk of being rejected by the tribe. Some tribes have a limit of African blood while others reject anyone with any African blood. I find this ridiculous when you take into account the large number of tribes in the USA where most, if not all, the members are a minority indian. Its almost a joke. Some tribes though accept anyone with the tribes DNA, but these are more the exception than the rule. I also know that in Canada some tribes require at least 5% of the tribes DNA to be admitted, which is such a small part of someoneís DNA.

They try very hard to deny the European ancestry. For many its not as if they come out with less than 1%, but exactly zero blood of indian origin.
1. Some tribes owned slaves and once slavery was don't refused to absorb the mixed NA/BA's as part of the tribe. I think that some BA's were fighting for recognition from some tribes.

2. Some of my Canadian First Nations DNA matches from Vancouver only carry 20%-30% NA. I won't specify the tribe as I share DNA on their European side. They have been on the same land for many thousands of years there is evidence showing that.

3. I don't see the point in wanting tribal recognition when there is no land to connect to in the case of the descendants of NA's slaves.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:20 PM

301 posts, read 189,596 times
Quote:

Maybe in numbers they headed fro countries like Argentina, but they had a profound impact in other countries too. Mostly because most focus on being in commerce, which through the years made many of them rich and influential.

Actually, the richest person in Latin America is in part of Middle Eastern extraction.
Yea they seem to do a lot of good business there Chile is close behind as well there in countries like Brazil and Colombia.

Quote:

Those people were very few in these hemisphere, Iím willing to say in the single digits. The people that have lighter skin in this hemisphere show significant European admixture in the DNA. In places like Haiti or most of the English islands in the Caribbean where the people are over 80% African as the national average they are very dark. Light skin folks are not even considered to be anything other than mulattoes and there is a very visible reason for that. If the rest werenít negligible it would be considered.

Redbone among English speaking people just means someone lightskin these days.But there are many tribes in Africa that have significant amount of people with lightskin,Ewe and Igbo people are example.

Countries like Haiti have people with Dark skin because they seem to come from people that were mostly dark skin and had little to no light skin in Africa which are tribes like the Dahomey and the Fon.

Quote:

The few that do have some indian blood then run the risk of being rejected by the tribe. Some tribes have a limit of African blood while others reject anyone with any African blood. I find this ridiculous when you take into account the large number of tribes in the USA where most, if not all, the members are a minority indian. Its almost a joke. Some tribes though accept anyone with the tribes DNA, but these are more the exception than the rule. I also know that in Canada some tribes require at least 5% of the tribes DNA to be admitted, which is such a small part of someoneís DNA.

In English speaking countries like Belize ,Dominica,and Guyana the Amerindian population significant and there is a lot of admixture. There Amerindian population in Guyana is around 10-11 % with many mixed race extraction and belize 11.3% Amerindian and 25% or so Mestizo.

The Native American ancestry in people have been romanticized because it probably gives them more rights to be in this land mass.

Some tribes in the Americas have a blood quantum and not more so reject people with African blood but reject people with not enough Amerindian blood.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:09 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,947,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
1. Some tribes owned slaves and once slavery was don't refused to absorb the mixed NA/BA's as part of the tribe. I think that some BA's were fighting for recognition from some tribes.

2. Some of my Canadian First Nations DNA matches from Vancouver only carry 20%-30% NA. I won't specify the tribe as I share DNA on their European side. They have been on the same land for many thousands of years there is evidence showing that.

3. I don't see the point in wanting tribal recognition when there is no land to connect to in the case of the descendants of NA's slaves.
Native Americans get certain things if they are members of federally recognized tribes. Such as free college, subsidized mortgages, healthcare, etc.

So I donít think any of the Blacjs who fought for recognition wanted land. Btw, the freedmen descendants of Africans owned by Cherokees, Chickasaw, Choctaws, Creeks, and Seminoles have federal recognition.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:10 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,947,300 times
Quote:
I forgot about that minority in the English Caribbean, was thinking more about Trinidad & Tobago which is different from other islands in the group and generally. Outside of Trinidad & Tobago, in what island(s) are they more than the mulattoes and/or more than 5% of the population?
Trinidad and Tobago has Indians and Chinese too.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Trinidad and Tobago has Indians and Chinese too.
It seems he was excluding T&T because it is obviously less than 80 percent African and the other groups include far more non-European (Indian and Chinese). So there are enough light people there whose mixed is other than white that people don’t automatically assume a light mixed person is mixed with white. It depends. So he’s aware that his statements wouldn’t apply there. But I think sometimes people forget that those and other groups did go to l/exist in other islands in smaller numbers and mix in. So white isn’t always the assumed other background in those islands either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or