U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2019, 02:15 PM
 
350 posts, read 617,740 times
Reputation: 352

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Redbone among English speaking people just means someone lightskin these days.But there are many tribes in Africa that have significant amount of people with lightskin,Ewe and Igbo people are example.

Countries like Haiti have people with Dark skin because they seem to come from people that were mostly dark skin and had little to no light skin in Africa which are tribes like the Dahomey and the Fon.
Those tribes with significant lightskin people in Africa are a new phenomenon due to colonialism. I bet in the 13th century or before you didn't have that much in Africa.

Haitians are just more dark skin because there are less mixed with European or Amerindian blood. I think it has nothing to do with the places they came from in Africa.
BTW, Dahomey and the Fon is basically the same. Haitians descended mostly from Kongos and Fon people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2019, 03:46 PM
 
301 posts, read 190,110 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Those tribes with significant lightskin people in Africa are a new phenomenon due to colonialism. I bet in the 13th century or before you didn't have that much in Africa.

Haitians are just more dark skin because there are less mixed with European or Amerindian blood. I think it has nothing to do with the places they came from in Africa.
Where do you get that from?Many African tribes have many light skinned people naturally.People like San,Igbo,Ewe,etc all have light skin.Not going into details but maybe you should research it and educate yourself.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post

BTW, Dahomey and the Fon is basically the same. Haitians descended mostly from Kongos and Fon people.
And Dahomey are akin to Fon but are not the same thats like saying the French are the same as Romans because the spawn from the same group.Maybe on the same tree but not the same branch.

Quote:
https://penntoday.upenn.edu/news/var...nd-all-between

The team found variants of MFSD12 that were associated with both very dark and relatively light skin. Mutations in and around this gene that were associated with dark pigmentation were present at high frequencies in populations of Nilo-Saharan ancestry, who tend to have very dark skin, as well as across sub-Saharan populations, except the San of southern Africa, who tend to have lighter skin.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 06-21-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2019, 04:01 PM
 
24,485 posts, read 17,962,735 times
Reputation: 9297
You never had a situation in which all Africans looked the sabe or have the same color or features. Ethiopians and Somalis have Caucasian features and they also speak Afro-Asiatic languages similar to Hebrew and Arabic. Many West African Muslims speak Hausa, another Afro-Asiatic language.

At times Indian and Chinese traders came to Muslim controller forts in East Africa.

So before colonialism not everyone in Africa was Black, not where all Black Africans “pure”. Some of you have ridiculously outdated concepts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 06:08 AM
 
301 posts, read 190,110 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You never had a situation in which all Africans looked the sabe or have the same color or features. Ethiopians and Somalis have Caucasian features and they also speak Afro-Asiatic languages similar to Hebrew and Arabic. Many West African Muslims speak Hausa, another Afro-Asiatic language.

At times Indian and Chinese traders came to Muslim controller forts in East Africa.

So before colonialism not everyone in Africa was Black, not where all Black Africans “pure”. Some of you have ridiculously outdated concepts.
No ,you don't seem to understand that black Africans have always had wide variety of looks while being pure blacks,this includes Somalis and Ethiopians.

Plus Chinese and Indian trading with Africa is not going to impact East Africa,thats like saying Romans trading with Chinese on the silk road impacted them genetically.

Africa's genepool being the most genetically diverse would mean they have peoples there have a diverse way of looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 09:10 AM
Status: "Life goes on..." (set 12 days ago)
 
5,545 posts, read 8,211,196 times
Reputation: 4354
What part of Western Africa did the Africans were from and taken to the Spanish, English, and French colonies in the Americas?

Anyone dares to show many pictures where the people of these places congregate in large numbers? Yes, I know these are modern people compared to those taken in the 1500’s to the Spanish colonies and mostly in the 1700’s to the Spanish, English, and French colonies.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 04:06 PM
 
7,553 posts, read 6,046,242 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
What part of Western Africa did the Africans were from and taken to the Spanish, English, and French colonies in the Americas?

Anyone dares to show many pictures where the people of these places congregate in large numbers? Yes, I know these are modern people compared to those taken in the 1500’s to the Spanish colonies and mostly in the 1700’s to the Spanish, English, and French colonies.

Thanks


www.slavevoyages.org has ample data on the origins of enslaved peoples taken to various parts of the Americas. Limitations are that this only discusses ports where these people were procured. Also not all voyages were tracked and this especially after 1807 when the slave trade became illegal. In addition some islands were used as hubs so destinations show higher numbers than expected (places like Barbados and St Kitts/Nevis. Whereas the Spanish Americas (aside from Cuba) show lower numbers as many were "illegally" procured via the British or Dutch/Danish islands.


But it does suggest that less than 500k enslaved peoples were sold direct to the USA, a tiny fractions of those sent to Brazil and even Cuba had 2x that amount sent direct from Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2019, 06:57 AM
 
301 posts, read 190,110 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
What part of Western Africa did the Africans were from and taken to the Spanish, English, and French colonies in the Americas?

Anyone dares to show many pictures where the people of these places congregate in large numbers? Yes, I know these are modern people compared to those taken in the 1500’s to the Spanish colonies and mostly in the 1700’s to the Spanish, English, and French colonies.

Thanks
They literally come from all parts of West Africa. There were times when the Dutch, Portuguese, Spanish, French, and English people dealt with different kingdoms of Africa.

There are portraits and pictures of some Africans taken from this period but not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 03:45 PM
 
24,485 posts, read 17,962,735 times
Reputation: 9297
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
No ,you don't seem to understand that black Africans have always had wide variety of looks while being pure blacks,this includes Somalis and Ethiopians.

Plus Chinese and Indian trading with Africa is not going to impact East Africa,thats like saying Romans trading with Chinese on the silk road impacted them genetically.

Africa's genepool being the most genetically diverse would mean they have peoples there have a diverse way of looking.
So a white guy tries to lecture a Black person on what Black People look like. You read Wikipedia and are now the all knowing expert.

Chinese and Indian traders may have left children behind with African women. Chinese labors who come to modern Africa are gathering children with African women.

As for Ethiopians, their official language is an Semitic language like Hebrew and Arabic. So is Somali. They are part Middle Eastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 04:03 PM
 
3,651 posts, read 2,255,895 times
Reputation: 2818
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So a white guy tries to lecture a Black person on what Black People look like. You read Wikipedia and are now the all knowing expert.

As for Ethiopians, their official language is an Semitic language like Hebrew and Arabic. So is Somali. They are part Middle Eastern.
Incorrect. Somali is a Cu****ic language, not Semitic.

Apparently you need to review you second sentence above. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 04:04 PM
 
3,651 posts, read 2,255,895 times
Reputation: 2818
Weird. It censored a language group.

c u s h i t i c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top