U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 PM

142 posts, read 33,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
European pre Christian religions (such as the Greek and Roman gods, the Norse Gods) are very much a part of Western culture. Books, movies, cartoons are all made out of them. Statues of them are all around, and universities often have departments or buildings named after them.

And you out of ignorance disparage the African gods. You prove the OP's point.
You out of ignorance do not understand African religion as is practiced there. there are no "gods" per se, The images are the images of catholic saints, the only African is the "powers" "and the "new persona" transferred to the christian images. African religions of the time where animist in essence. Santeros are Christians, there is no other god than the christian God. If you want to preserve African gods you have to go to Africa.
there are no African gods on Santeria. Is even implicit in the name "Santeria" dealing with saints, not with god, god is the christian god.

Christians Saints will "acquire" certain new characteristics or powers from African deities.

Saint James acquired the powers of Ogun Balenjo, and became the saint used to "protect" from bad spirits and bad luck.

Now both Ogun and Saint James are slowly drifting to the Bin of history.

The death of the African god dint happened in the Americas, happened in Africa with the arrival of Christianity and Islam.
In the Americas and Europe even the Christian god is struggling to remain relevant.

Read a book before you utter your opinions.

Last edited by Snapshoot; 02-08-2019 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The thing is, white Latinos are claiming that Spaniyards and Portuguese treated their slaves well. To even say this is offensive. You're speaking for experiences that you cannot have, as you are not Black and you certainly didn't come from an enslaved family.

Also you say very wrong things about US slavery, as you have just superficial knowledge of the US.
There are ways to know who live a better life, one is life expectancy, the life expectancy of a male slave in Haiti was 7 years after arrival.

Another is rights, could Slaves buy their freedom? own property? practice their religion freely?
all those variables where not absolute in space and in time.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:08 PM

24,192 posts, read 17,574,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
There was never anything similar to the one drop rule in Latin America people of partial Black ancestry usually do not consider themselves to be Black Africans just as they usually don't consider themselves to be Spaniards or Portuguese or Amerindians, in general they understand those are components that make up a Brazilian, Colombian, Cuban, Puerto Rican etc but that's about it. If you look white in Latin America you're white, if you look mixed you're mixed very few people want to be Black even if they're dark. That's just the way it is 90 million people in Brazil don't claim Afro-Latino ancestry this video is pretty ridiculous as it's propaganda to spread the USA concept of race and race relations it looks like the Afro-centrists are doing a pretty good job of indoctrinating a few communities of their insanity.
In real historical research, you look at primary documents that are often hidden away in archives.

I found out I could get Spanish or Portuguese citizenship due to my Jewish last name (I'm African American). My last name is Jewish due to slavery, as an ancestor of mine was a slaveowner who knocked up his slave/maid.

The child's race was classified as mulatto. Up until 1910, the US census officially categorized mulattos as a separate race from Black people.

Mixed race people in the US historically were often better off. The white parent sometimes would leave their mixed race child money or pay for their education.

My second great grandfather owned a 50 acre farm. His grandfather was Jewish.

Howard University was formed for mulatto children in a time period in which white universities would not accept Blacks or other non whites, women, Catholics, or Jews. So when someone got their slave/maid pregnant, if they wanted the child to get an university education they sent them to Howard, especially.

Obviously the former President is mixed race. Mulatto today in the US would be considered an offensive, racist word, so no one was going to call Obama than (even most racists). Similarly, Halle Berry, the first Black woman to win an Oscar, was mixed race. Many of the civil rights activists (Thurgood Marshall, first Black Supreme Court justice) were also mixed race.

So yes, Americans DO make the distinction, and it DOES happen here clearly.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Really?

If I were to list the amount of popular Colombian songs that not only mention but applaud and pay homage to Africa I would never end.

Not to mention that real African music from the Congo, Mozambique, Ghana, Cameroon, Angola, Nigeria, etc. has been listened to a lot in the Caribbean coast of Colombia for decades, there are clubs dedicated to just this music...you don't even get this in the States!!

Colombians dancing African music compilation...

Colombia's budding 'Selva Techno' music genre (Palenque, Colombia)

Perhaps Colombia's most revered music artist of recent times, Carlos Vives, narrates the footprint of Africa in Cartagena and exclaims in the chorus "VIVA EL AFRICA!" Which translates to "LONG LIVE AFRICA!"

Here's something you may not be aware of.

There's a huge difference between US Latinos and actual Latin Americans. Many Latinos who immigrated to the US 50 years ago are completely oblivious about the modern revival and interest in African or Native heritage in Latin America, or the fight for civil rights and equality in Latin America. These people will spout all kinds of nonsense about say Colombia or the DR that just doesn't apply to these countries today.

When I lived in NYC, a lot of Latinos were shocked that I took vacations to places like Mexico, DR, or Colombia and began telling me ridiculous horror stories and tales of woe from what their families went through decades ago (I don't know why, this had nothing to do with me and it's not my fault). I kind of told them I don't care and I'm still going.

So basically, in NYC I knew a lot of self hating Latinos who were ashamed of their countries of origin, and yes many of these people weren't too keen to discuss the African side of their family. It's not malice, it's total ignorance and stupidity. These people remain poor, too, as how can one advance if one is so full of self hate?

Old 02-08-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
In real historical research, you look at primary documents that are often hidden away in archives.

I found out I could get Spanish or Portuguese citizenship due to my Jewish last name (I'm African American). My last name is Jewish due to slavery, as an ancestor of mine was a slaveowner who knocked up his slave/maid.

The child's race was classified as mulatto. Up until 1910, the US census officially categorized mulattos as a separate race from Black people.

Mixed race people in the US historically were often better off. The white parent sometimes would leave their mixed race child money or pay for their education.

My second great grandfather owned a 50 acre farm. His grandfather was Jewish.

Howard University was formed for mulatto children in a time period in which white universities would not accept Blacks or other non whites, women, Catholics, or Jews. So when someone got their slave/maid pregnant, if they wanted the child to get an university education they sent them to Howard, especially.

Obviously the former President is mixed race. Mulatto today in the US would be considered an offensive, racist word, so no one was going to call Obama than (even most racists). Similarly, Halle Berry, the first Black woman to win an Oscar, was mixed race. Many of the civil rights activists (Thurgood Marshall, first Black Supreme Court justice) were also mixed race.

So yes, Americans DO make the distinction, and it DOES happen here clearly.
Very valid points, even a while Back there was a "tweeter battle" between the #teamlightskin vs #teamdarkskin were both groups chastise one another about certain stereotypes about each other. that **** is still going on, just check up the hashtag lol.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
You out of ignorance do not understand African religion as is practiced there. there are no "gods" per se, The images are the images of catholic saints, the only African is the "powers" "and the "new persona" transferred to the christian images. African religions of the time where animist in essence. Santeros are Christians, there is no other god than the christian God. If you want to preserve African gods you have to go to Africa.
there are no African gods on Santeria. Is even implicit in the name "Santeria" dealing with saints, not with god, god is the christian god.

Christians Saints will "acquire" certain new characteristics or powers from African deities.

Saint James acquired the powers of Ogun Balenjo, and became the saint used to "protect" from bad spirits and bad luck.

Now both Ogun and Saint James are slowly drifting to the Bin of history.

The death of the African god dint happened in the Americas, happened in Africa with the arrival of Christianity and Islam.
In the Americas and Europe even the Christian god is struggling to remain relevant.

Read a book before you utter your opinions.
I read many books on the African gods. They had a long history before the slave trade. A lot of studies are done in these religions and they are starting to show up in films, tv, comics in both Latin America and in the US. There’s a Colombian Netflix series called Siempre Bruja starting a young Black witch burned at the stake during the Inquisition, but who comes back to life now.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Here's something you may not be aware of.

There's a huge difference between US Latinos and actual Latin Americans. Many Latinos who immigrated to the US 50 years ago are completely oblivious about the modern revival and interest in African or Native heritage in Latin America, or the fight for civil rights and equality in Latin America. These people will spout all kinds of nonsense about say Colombia or the DR that just doesn't apply to these countries today.

When I lived in NYC, a lot of Latinos were shocked that I took vacations to places like Mexico, DR, or Colombia and began telling me ridiculous horror stories and tales of woe from what their families went through decades ago (I don't know why, this had nothing to do with me and it's not my fault). I kind of told them I don't care and I'm still going.

So basically, in NYC I knew a lot of self hating Latinos who were ashamed of their countries of origin, and yes many of these people weren't too keen to discuss the African side of their family. It's not malice, it's total ignorance and stupidity. These people remain poor, too, as how can one advance if one is so full of self hate?
True to all that, I would blame rurality, most early Latinos in the US were very rural people with limited understanding of their own country.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:43 PM

Spain had too main interests during colonialism. Getting gold, and of course the sugarcane slave plantations. So they had no interest in building Latin America up. The legacy of this brutal colonialism cannot fully be undone until people educate themselves on it and come to terms with it.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Spain had too main interests during colonialism. Getting gold, and of course the sugarcane slave plantations. So they had no interest in building Latin America up. The legacy of this brutal colonialism cannot fully be undone until people educate themselves on it and come to terms with it.

Well thats not totally true, Spain did built LAtam, way more than the French or the English Did in their colonies, the oldest universities in the Americas are in latam. the University of Santo Domingo was funded in 1538, the same in mexico, Peru ect. basically every Catholic Order builted Catholics schools all across the continent. there are no great colonial British towns in the Americas and not french ones that can compare with the Spanish ones. the fortresses, the churches, just the city of Havana, cartagena, Panama, they builted aqueducts, sewers, the Spanish constructions are just too many.

Can you compare la Havana with lets say Kingston?
or cartagena with Georges town?
Santo Domingo with Port au Prince.?

no way

Old 02-08-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
Well thats not totally true, Spain did built LAtam, way more than the French or the English Did in their colonies, the oldest universities in the Americas are in latam. the University of Santo Domingo was funded in 1538, the same in mexico, Peru ect. basically every Catholic Order builted Catholics schools all across the continent. there are no great colonial British towns in the Americas and not french ones that can compare with the Spanish ones. the fortresses, the churches, just the city of Havana, cartagena, Panama, they builted aqueducts, sewers, the Spanish constructions are just too many.

Can you compare la Havana with lets say Kingston?
or cartagena with Georges town?
Santo Domingo with Port au Prince.?

no way
But look at how the US and Canada turned out. The sole purpose for the West Indies was to produce sugarcane.

Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, are all great colonial cities. The US has the Ivy League, founded by English colonialist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or