U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 11:21 AM

5,972 posts, read 9,540,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
At my 34 years of age, I´d best get a US teachers´ pension now...it´ll take me a while to become vested, but if I keep bouncing from country to country I won´t pay enough into any system. Just savings doesn´t necessarily cut it. Texas teachers usually don´t pay into Social Security, which sounds bad, but they make so much compared to the neighboring states that I can also load up an IRA which gives me a little more control with where my money is headed. I know you do well with what you do, but too many cats my age aren´t even thinking about this...and it´s going to bite them much later.
That makes sense. There's no way to beat earning dollars. From an economic perspective, you're way better off working in the U.S. I have a friend here in San Jose who spent 8 years working in IT in Mexico, then another 10 years working in IT in Madrid. He said quality of life was good, but he wasn't saving money, so he moved back to the states to work so he could start saving for the future.
Quote:
.I doubt her English would ever sound native if we stayed here.
Correct. Fluent English is definitely a good skill to have.

Quote:
El Paso is still on the map for us...but so are San Antonio and Dallas.
I think you'd enjoy El Paso and San Antonio better. More culture there.

Quote:
Shoot, all of Texas is basically bilingual now.
Yaah, you'll find white people there who are 100% Caucasian (not a drop of Hispanic blood) who are 100% fluent and speak Spanish with a Mexican accent. Same thing in New Mexico and California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 10:38 AM

Here's a video of a daylight armed robbery that happened a few days ago in Ecuador. The way this robbery occurred is very typical of robberies in Colombia (and other places in South America I'm sure).

https://streamable.com/uwa28

Old 07-19-2019, 07:40 AM

Watch above video I posted. See how they removed the jewlery from the women. This is one reason why you don't want to wear jewlery when you're out on the street in South America (or in Colombia, at least), you want to minimize yourself as a target - as I've said repeatedly on these forums when discussing safety. Same thing with cell phone you want to keep it out of view.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:58 PM

4,812 posts, read 4,256,633 times
They don't target foreigners for robberies in Colombia. There are too many rich Colombians and too few foreigners for it to be a consideration. They do have scams for foreigners in Medellin and Bogota, like pretty girls approaching foreigners and drugging them.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:16 PM

5,361 posts, read 8,089,554 times
People should be safe, but most visitors to Colombia are not having any problems. Otherwise Colombia wouldn’t have such a boom in tourism and such good recommendations from people that visited.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
They don't target foreigners for robberies in Colombia.
Nonsense. Anybody who is perceived as possibly carrying money, cell phone, jewlery is a target. Ecuador is widely perceived as much "safer" than Colombia, yet the video I posted a couple posts up (blatant, non-rushed, daylight robbery by a group of thieves targetting the clientele of a restaurant) occurred in Ecuador. South America as a whole has problems with this kind of thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
most visitors to Colombia are not having any problems. Otherwise Colombia wouldn’t have such a boom in tourism and such good recommendations from people that visited.
But some of the tourists in fact do get robbed. It's all about probabilities. Most people - tourists or otherwise - don't get robbed in a given timespan, but the number of people who are victims is substantially higher than you find in other countries. Most of South America is poor. Lots of people don't have jobs. There is lax security. These factors combine to make robberies much easier and more frequent.

Last edited by 80skeys; 07-22-2019 at 09:46 AM..

Old 07-22-2019, 08:50 PM

5,361 posts, read 8,089,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
But some of the tourists in fact do get robbed. It's all about probabilities. Most people - tourists or otherwise - don't get robbed in a given timespan, but the number of people who are victims is substantially higher than you find in other countries. Most of South America is poor. Lots of people don't have jobs. There is lax security. These factors combine to make robberies much easier and more frequent.
That may be true, but most people that have been to Colombia as tourists have a good impression of where they went, usually Bogotá, Medellín, or Cartagena. The ones that witness a crime of any type are sure to let everyone know of that fact and the ones that were a victim of crime will talk of their negative experience. They may still recommend the place, depends how bad of a crime they were victims of or witness. The fact that the vast majority of tourists to Colombia have only nice things to say and never mention crime, if anything they say the opposite of many peoples image is true, is a tell tale sign of the situation, imo.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:32 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's all roses like you're implying - far from it - and I would caution people to realize that there's a big difference between the way you can behave in Colombia versus what you can do in other places that you're more familar with. Let's take Spain as an example, in Madrid you can literally walk anywhere in the city, day and night, with 0 risk of being mugged. You simply cannot do this in most of South America.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:10 PM

315 posts, read 892,325 times
I spent a month in a middle class neighborhood in Bogota earlier this year. Then a month in San Gil. Walked around a lot at night. Never once was I threatened or felt unsafe. I am 6'2", 250, but that probably wouldn't matter to a guy with a gun. I'm sure it happens, but generally Americans who live in Colombia feel reasonably safe.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
I spent a month in a middle class neighborhood in Bogota earlier this year. Then a month in San Gil. Walked around a lot at night. Never once was I threatened or felt unsafe.
All neighborhoods in Madrid (Spain) are equally safe. The same cannot be said of Bogota. I have difficulty believing your story in any case.

Last edited by 80skeys; 07-23-2019 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or