U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 10:41 PM

24,317 posts, read 17,752,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
There are much fewer occurrences in the U.S. than in Latin America.

They dont' see life for what it's really like. 99% of these people go to the same limited tourist-approved locations. What I'm talking about is the wider experience. For example if you were to find yourself in the neighborhood where my cousin lives in Medellin you wouldn't know that it's a place you need to avoid being out at night unless people told you.
Why do the tourists need to know about where your cousin lives? They are there for just a few days. The tourists are getting exactly what they want.

If someone is working on a humanitarian mission or on academic research they need to see the broader nation. But those people are not your typical vacation travelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 11:21 PM

59 posts, read 4,938 times
Panama(plan on visiting), Peru, Chile, Argentine. I felt safe in Medellin when I was there.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:39 AM

6,029 posts, read 9,559,896 times
I know more than my fair share of people who have been targets of armed robbery in South America. Let's put it like that.... A guy with a knife tried to rob me and a friend in Manizales. And it's not like I spend a lot of time down there - I go once, maybe twice a year for a week or two.

So the odds are substantially higher than you find in the U.S. or Europe.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I know more than my fair share of people who have been targets of armed robbery in South America. Let's put it like that.... A guy with a knife tried to rob me and a friend in Manizales. And it's not like I spend a lot of time down there - I go once, maybe twice a year for a week or two.

So the odds are substantially higher than you find in the U.S. or Europe.
Not affecting tourists and expatriates who tend to stay in the safest locations.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not affecting tourists and expatriates who tend to stay in the safest locations.
What's the safest place in Medellin? You'll probably say "El Poblado". Well, guess what, even Popeye (Escobar's boss of hitmen) was robbed at gunpoint in El Poblado a couple years ago.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
What's the safest place in Medellin? You'll probably say "El Poblado". Well, guess what, even Popeye (Escobar's boss of hitmen) was robbed at gunpoint in El Poblado a couple years ago.
Maybe because he was a known person? The average American tourist are not getting robbed like that in El Poblado. I was in Laurelas and felt safe walking around with my chains flashing on. The whole "you'll get robbed in Latin America" trope is so exaggerated. Unless you're in some certain parts of Brasil, Cartel land in Mexico, those violent Central American nations or any sketchy areas in a LA country then you have nothing to worry about.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post
Maybe because he was a known person?
He was mugged on the street as part of a normal street robbery. The thieves probably never realized who he was.
Quote:
The whole "you'll get robbed in Latin America" trope is so exaggerated.
Shows how little experience you have Mr. Chains.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
He was mugged on the street as part of a normal street robbery. The thieves probably never realized who he was.
I doubt it. I know people who constantly travel to Medellin more than me especially El Poblado and while they do say be cautious they also state El Poblado is the safest area in the city.

Quote:
Shows how little experience you have Mr. Chains.
I been traveling to Latin America, Africa and the Carribean even in more poorer and dangerous parts of those regions. So yea I have "experience" and also street smarts being from the "hood."

Old 08-02-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
I doubt it. I know people who constantly travel to Medellin more than me especially El Poblado and while they do say be cautious they also state El Poblado is the safest area in the city.

I been traveling to Latin America, Africa and the Carribean even in more poorer and dangerous parts of those regions. So yea I have "experience" and also street smarts being from the "hood."
Some of the people are upset about the socioeconomic and culture changes brought about by tourism and foreign investment in places like Colombia and the Dominican Republic.

But nobody needs the permission Of American Latinos to go to these places. These people are stuck in the 60s.

Lots of foreigners go to these places for business. Thatís only going to continue to grow, just like tourism and all certain people can do is hate.

Save street smarts for people who like to hang out in ghettos.

Oh even a middle class Western, Japanese, or Chinese is wealthy in Latin America and can spend extravagantly.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I doubt it.
I don't. The guy is a mafioso, he wears expensive jewlery. In South America thieves recognize this jewlery from a mile away.

Quote:
The fact that you walk around flashing "chains" in Colombia makes me doubt this very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or