U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2019, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
6,199 posts, read 9,654,710 times
Reputation: 3231

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They are doing what they WANT to do.
No they're not. If you give prostitutes an alternative way of making money, most of them will quit prostitution. Very few want to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2019, 10:23 AM
 
24,471 posts, read 17,927,895 times
Reputation: 9277
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
No they're not. If you give prostitutes an alternative way of making money, most of them will quit prostitution. Very few want to do it.
They do have alternate ways of making money, just not as LUCRATIVE.

If you have some great idea to economically develop these countries, to set up social services and education to provide alternate ways of making money for these people.

Go for it.

If not the world´s oldest profession is going to continue because both buyer and seller want it.

And the outrage from some of you here is you cannot buy. You´re jealous to see these hotties that you cannot get. No money, no honey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2019, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
1,034 posts, read 2,004,933 times
Reputation: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
They do have alternate ways of making money, just not as LUCRATIVE.

If you have some great idea to economically develop these countries, to set up social services and education to provide alternate ways of making money for these people.

Go for it.

If not the world´s oldest profession is going to continue because both buyer and seller want it.

And the outrage from some of you here is you cannot buy. You´re jealous to see these hotties that you cannot get. No money, no honey.
I don´t know how it is in Spain....


But here in Colombia there are girls who haven´t even hit puberty and they´re walking the streets with their moms looking for the next client (Mom´s not for sale, FYI). It wasn´t that long ago that it was out in the open in Pereira. Now that the govt has mounted the "ojos en todas partes" campaign it´s been pushed to the most depressed areas of town, but it´s around. What consenting adults do with their bodies and money is none of my business, but please think a little harder about what you´re saying. Little girls are groomed for this by criminal organizations or obligated by their own family to partake in these activities, and it´s the absolutely saddest, sickest thing you´ll ever see.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAXOC3P0Knw

This is Medellín, but Pereira and Cali are known for being even sleazier in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 07:33 PM
 
746 posts, read 497,917 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
No they're not. If you give prostitutes an alternative way of making money, most of them will quit prostitution. Very few want to do it.

not really, prostitution is much more profitable than most jobs in a place like Latin America.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The majority of prostitutes in the U.S. are drug addicts. So yes they are being taken advantage of due to their illness. The percentage of prostitutes who do it because they want to, is small.

USA is one of the few countries of America were prostitution is illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 08:19 PM
 
10,012 posts, read 10,312,703 times
Reputation: 5356
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
USA is one of the few countries of America were prostitution is illegal.
Law number 2016-444 "visant à renforcer la lutte contre le système prostitutionnel et à accompagner les personnes prostituées" (Eng.: "to strengthen the fight against the prostitution system and to support prostituted persons") was enacted on 6 April 2016, with effect from 13 April 2016 in France. The most publicised provision of this law is that the buying of sexual acts was made illegal and punishable with a fine of up to €3,750. However, the bulk of this law is concerned with supporting prostitutes exiting the industry and supporting victims of sex trafficking.

The Spanish border towns complain that the French simply exported the problem. La Jonquera is just 3 miles over the French border and was long a popular place for cheap alcohol and cigarettes. Now it is crawling with prostitutes and sex clubs. The main sex club claims that some women earn as much as 200,000 Euros per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 07:33 AM
 
24,471 posts, read 17,927,895 times
Reputation: 9277
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I don´t know how it is in Spain....


But here in Colombia there are girls who haven´t even hit puberty and they´re walking the streets with their moms looking for the next client (Mom´s not for sale, FYI). It wasn´t that long ago that it was out in the open in Pereira. Now that the govt has mounted the "ojos en todas partes" campaign it´s been pushed to the most depressed areas of town, but it´s around. What consenting adults do with their bodies and money is none of my business, but please think a little harder about what you´re saying. Little girls are groomed for this by criminal organizations or obligated by their own family to partake in these activities, and it´s the absolutely saddest, sickest thing you´ll ever see.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAXOC3P0Knw

This is Medellín, but Pereira and Cali are known for being even sleazier in this regard.
That´s human trafficking, and even THAT has to do with the lack of economic development or opportunities for people that partake in them.

Is the government giving them education, job training, or social services?

Because if not, as bad as it may seem, what should these people do if they cannot feed their children? Die of starvation? Is the Colombian government setting up food stamps and soul kitchens and other ways to help people? Are social workers taking these minors away from abusive families and pimps? Because Colombia has one of this set up, it says a lot about Colombia and the conversations they have to have for the future of their country.

The men on this thread were complaining about adults willingly selling themselves to other adults, there´s nothing wrong with that.

You won´t see child prostitution like this in Spain, it´s an advanced Western country. With that said there is no place in the world free of prostititution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2019, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
6,199 posts, read 9,654,710 times
Reputation: 3231
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The men on this thread were complaining about adults willingly selling themselves to other adults, there´s nothing wrong with that.
If you offer a prostitute an alternative means of making the same amount of money and she continues to choose a career in prostitution, then OK. I'm fine with that. The problem is, 95% of prostitutes do not fall into this category. If you offer them the same amount of money, they will gladly quit prostitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
6,199 posts, read 9,654,710 times
Reputation: 3231
In discussions about safety in other countries, what people really should do to get a better idea of how things are, is to subscribe to cable TV local news channels from the countries in question. There are plenty of channels in Mexico and Colombia to subscribe to. In my home we have the general Latin TV option which gives us a lot of stuff.

Regarding safety issues, you see things like the following clip on a regular basis. I recorded this clip this morning, it's talking about some thieves that have boarding city buses in the daylight and robbing everyone. This in Barranquilla Colombia. It's happened so many times that the bus company decided to shut down the route. As a result, people who relied on that route to commute to work no longer have a way to go to work. A lose-lose situation for everyone involved simply because the police infrastructure is incapable of controlling the situation.


https://streamable.com/0tvuo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2019, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
1,034 posts, read 2,004,933 times
Reputation: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
In discussions about safety in other countries, what people really should do to get a better idea of how things are, is to subscribe to cable TV local news channels from the countries in question. There are plenty of channels in Mexico and Colombia to subscribe to. In my home we have the general Latin TV option which gives us a lot of stuff.


https://streamable.com/0tvuo
Do you have that option through Dish or cable? I need to start thinking about what the best option will be for us...I don´t think I could do without Selección Tricolor games or Noticias Caracol...I have an account with Caracol Play which offers streaming, but I don´t know if you can stream their programs live from the States...maybe a VPN would get around that. I would be interested though in being able to watch channels from various countries.

One thing that moving to the border would do for us would allow us as many Mexican channels on the rabbit ears as US ones in all those twin cities in Texas... (McAllen/Reynosa, Brownsville/Matamoros, El Paso/Juarez)...that alone wouldn´t be enough to move there, but it´s a nice bonus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2019, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
6,199 posts, read 9,654,710 times
Reputation: 3231
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Do you have that option through Dish or cable?
It's cable (Comcast). It's a general "Latin package" that gives a bunch of channels, including Caracol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top