U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:17 PM

422 posts, read 345,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I´d venture to say though that Panamá is none too developed culturally. Pretty anti-intellectual place, even if foreign investment has appeared to have built it up. I have not been back to CR since 2010, so times change. Is the drug trade heating up there?
Hmmm I will have to ask this remark to the thousands and thousands of Colombians who live here and think different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 10:35 PM

24,192 posts, read 17,574,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Around 1990, there were occasional incidents involving visiting language students around that area, and foreigners were warned not go go outside Antigua or other town limits.

I would consider to be relatively safe anywhere south of Brazil and Ecuador, including most of Peru, but maybe not Lima or the Amazonian frontier. Bolivia is a civilly safe country but now seems to be in political turmoil..

I've heard that Nicaragua may be the safest in CA. I'd watch my back in Costa Rica.

Ignore murder rates, murderers kill their acquaintances and associates, not strangers.
Just avoid murderers, which is not that hard to do. Nothing good happens after midnight, in any country.
Says somebody from the Phillipines, a very violent and unsafe place.

In an area with armed violence, someone simply walking by can be shot when gangsters are fighting each other. Innocent people get killed all the time, accidently. This is of course not counting armed robberies.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:39 PM

24,192 posts, read 17,574,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
I've been hearing that, depending on country, American expats who move to Latin America do best in places where other expats live and often in gated communities or semi-fortified dwellings. Home invasions and possibly in-home beatings, murders, or just being tied up have been happening in Mexico (areas outside of San Miguel de Allende and in/near Lake Chapala), Costa Rica, and Panama. I imagine it is the same in Ecuador and Colombia, other "hot spots" for American expats. Foreigners who are most at risk are those who locals judge to have money and who venture out on their own into their country of adoption away from security measures put in place where other foreigners congregate.

If you are American (look and sound different, basically a foreigner) and locals perceive that you are wealthy, are there any places in Latin America where one could live on a small rancho among the locals with minimum security without fear of being robbed or killed?
Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Bolivia.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:09 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,339,013 times
One thing I don't get is Ecuador's apparently regular vote as best country to retire. (for Americans) I didn't find it the worst, but far removed from the best. Begs the question, ' Whose interests are being served, constantly claiming this country as the prime destination for retirees?.

I found Uruguay and Chile (especially Down South, Lake District, but Patagonia, Although remote and chilly fine as well)
Next up would be Argentina, but hard pressed to think of another place, longer term. Like Brazil, but no getting over it is dangerous. Not just Rio either.. was in Salvador for the carnival and great place, but wits really needed.

Peru hardly the place, Panama, way over rated, at least Panama City is. Costa Rico has increasing crime, cost of living and a number of disgruntled ex pats.

No idea about Bolivia, Paraguay or rest of Central America .

Old 02-26-2019, 10:13 AM

5,809 posts, read 9,467,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
In an area with armed violence, someone simply walking by can be shot when gangsters are fighting each other. Innocent people get killed all the time, accidently.
They also get killed deliberately if they fight back during a robbery or if they don't want to turn over their wallet and jewlery to the thieves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Costa Rica, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Bolivia.
Even Peru is probably less safe than the OP would like to see. There's a substantial amount of street crime there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
One thing I don't get is Ecuador's apparently regular vote as best country to retire. (for Americans) I didn't find it the worst, but far removed from the best. Begs the question, ' Whose interests are being served, constantly claiming this country as the prime destination for retirees?.
What happens is these countries will intiate a publicity campaign when they're trying to attract dollars, and they'll make things sound really great, and there'll be a bunch of expat retirees who believe the hype and don't bother doing their research, and they'll move there and find out it's not as advertised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
No idea about Bolivia, Paraguay or rest of Central America .
Extreme caution for Central America. A lot of crime, lack of infrastructure, lot of corruption.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:19 AM

974 posts, read 1,962,673 times
I wouldn´t want to retire in Quito or Guayaquil, but Cuenca is full of retirees who seem to really like it. Less on the radar but growing in importance are little beach towns like Olon.

It of course depends on the preference of said retiree...cold mountains or hot beach? People need to pick their preferred climate, and understand that in that part of the world, the only variation in "seasons" is whether it´s raining a lot or a little.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:30 AM

448 posts, read 562,132 times
I checked online and costa Rica was the best country in central america as far as safety goes. Chile best in south america.

easy google.

Btw, Santiago de Chile lower crime rate than most american cities.
https://www.mylatinlife.com/blog/201...-latin-america
https://traveltips.usatoday.com/safe...ica-35901.html

I'd say Countries (like chile, Canada, the eu) taking on immigrants from third world like Haiti, colombia might end up with an elevated crime rate.

4k amazing drone imagery:
SAN JUAN, COSTA RICA
https://youtu.be/36U8-j2WuuQ

SANTIAGO, CHILE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA3tOpC5BU4

Last edited by MrPilot; 02-27-2019 at 10:45 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 02:53 PM

2,870 posts, read 1,544,263 times
^^
Amazing drone footage of San Jose? Really? I'm unimpressed. Looks like Cucuta to me, Colombia's 7th/8th city.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzRi-ZoZpxI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLlp3F_so-o

Old 02-28-2019, 07:21 AM

142 posts, read 33,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
I checked online and costa Rica was the best country in central america as far as safety goes. Chile best in south america.

easy google.

Btw, Santiago de Chile lower crime rate than most american cities.
https://www.mylatinlife.com/blog/201...-latin-america
https://traveltips.usatoday.com/safe...ica-35901.html

I'd say Countries (like chile, Canada, the eu) taking on immigrants from third world like Haiti, colombia might end up with an elevated crime rate.

4k amazing drone imagery:
SAN JUAN, COSTA RICA
https://youtu.be/36U8-j2WuuQ

SANTIAGO, CHILE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA3tOpC5BU4
immigrants have lower crime rate than locals in the US, so that theory makes no sense

Old 02-28-2019, 10:21 AM

5,809 posts, read 9,467,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
immigrants have lower crime rate than locals in the US, so that theory makes no sense
Of course. 99.999% of them are not criminals in their home countries. Why would they be criminals here? Indeed, when they come here they want to avoid getting in trouble because they don't want to jeapordize their stable and economically better lives.
@pueblofuerte: youtube is just full of people posting slick videos claiming this and that, which with a little digging turns out to be total lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or