U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 09:01 PM

5,917 posts, read 2,883,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I'm now looking at the only English speaking nation in Central and South America and that is Belize, Caribbean coastal Belize.
There are areas along Carribe coast of Nicaragua and Honduras where many locals speak English, or at least a Creole version of English that sounds similar to English speakers in Belize. Granted Nicaragua is going through some problems but there are some expats living in Honduras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadsuper55 View Post
Costa Rica is last lol Not last but after Brazil and Mexico which are the two most dangerous there is in the world Costa Rica is far from safe. I find it hilarious when American media hypes it up as safe because they benefit greatly from doing so
I think Venezuelans might take issue with the notion that Brazil and Mexico are the most dangerous, at least in current climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 11:49 AM

356 posts, read 108,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
It's all about money. In South America, if someone is perceived to have money, they are a target. The more money you have, the bigger of a target you will be and people will plan ways to take your money. Last night my wife and I had a laugh about this - on TV they were showing a lottery winner (here in the U.S. photos of lottery winners are posted). In Central/South America no lottery winner's photo will EVER get posted - if that happened it's 100% guaranteed you'd get kidnapped/killed.

This entirely depends on what you look like, how you act, and where you're hanging out. If you go into local bars (normal places) in non-tourist neighborhoods, you are by yourself, you don't have any friends, you don't know any local people, you're talking a lot, drawing attention to yourself, you've got obviously-American clothing, I guarantee you people are looking at you, wondering who you are, and there's always certain individuals in that bar who are going to be wondering how much money you've got.
I basically agree, though some places are safer than others, and conversely, some more dangerous.

In my opinion it's never a good idea to go into a local bar in Latino countries unless you're with a group of people you can trust (other gringos or Latinos you know very well).
Latinos love to start fights and when drunk anything can set them off.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:19 PM

101 posts, read 40,162 times
[quote=80skeys;54474883]

Are they retiring to Chiahuahua? I doubt it. Most retirees go to Mexico City or a couple specific locations where there are a lot of expats. We already know those are (fairly) safe.
I've never been to those expat communities, but knowing the little I know about expats, I wouldn't consider those places "Mexico", I would consider them American communities encerradas within Mexico. In other words, retirees don't go down there to integrate with the culture. They go down there to create their own little version of the U.S. within Mexico. To say this is Mexico is kind of a stretch, in my opinion. They aren't really living in or familiar with the Mexican culture, so I would take with a grain of salt any opinions they have on the matter.
So to the OP: it depends on whether you intend to live as a local, not in an expat community - in which case I would be hesitant if I were you - or if you intend to live in an expat-dominated community, in which case you should probably talk to them and ask them.

your ignorance and stupidity are really irritating. As of now there are Americans living in pretty much every city in Mexico. And of course, there are certain places where Americans tend to prefer to live do to the fact that want someone they can relate to (like language, cultural background). That shiit you call gated communities you make it seem like this fortress for Americans where they rule, and Mexicans are not allowed(have their little segregated communities like America before the 60's) to be part of, but in reality the majority of the people living in those gated communities are Mexicans. Americans go live in Mexico because they like the people, the culture, the system, the food etc.Ö there are pros and cons but it seem that at the end the pros out weight the cons, otherwise they will be flooding Colombia or other countries in south America that for some weird reason they are not, even thou you make them seem to be this 1st world industrialize high tech, very sophisticates, futuristic, highly educated white European countries. The people living in communities with high percentage of expats, most are retirees too old to learn another language this group of people donít even like to mingle with anyone while in America, they like their space and for the most part they go out to the city and inter act with the local culture that is one of the main reason they moved there. Expats in Mexico donít live in this island communities dude they are part of the community.i don't think many smart people here in this forum swallows your diatribe.

here we have the preferences of city data members vs reality there are more Americans preferring to retire in Mexico than in the rest of Latin America together, and they donít go there to live inside I bubble they come because they like the Mexican way of life, other wise they would be living the south American way of life.

https://vivatropical.com/mexico/wher...s-expats-live/

https://vivatropical.com/nicaragua/w...ntral-america/

Last edited by cid911; 04-08-2019 at 12:02 AM..

Old 04-08-2019, 07:37 AM

Our apartment in Guadalajara was almost all Mexicans, except for a couple of older white dudes we'd say hi to in the elevator. It wasn't in a gated community, although like many apartment buildings in that part of the city had the security gate on the door where Lupe from the desk would buzz people in. It was a pretty nice area just west of downtown, not real ritzy like some areas up in Providencia more an area popular with urban hipsters. Lots of people out and about in that area pretty late into the evening which is generally good for security.

Only thing that made me nervous in our area was an abandoned building right up the street that homeless guys would also go in/out of through a gap in the fence, sometimes out early in the morning out for a walk I'd see one of them going down the street peeking into each car. We also had a couple friends who had had their cell phones swiped out of their hand by drive-by scooter, so had to be aware of that too.

We're probably moving back to Guadalajara in September this year, so at least that's one thumbs up vote for Mexico.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:47 AM

5,809 posts, read 9,467,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
In my opinion it's never a good idea to go into a local bar in Latino countries unless you're with a group of people you can trust (other gringos or Latinos you know very well).
Latinos love to start fights and when drunk anything can set them off.
It's not just a matter of fights (the same thing can be said about British bars), but on a more dangerous level, there's people in those bars who will start scheming ways to rob you. Ways that can get nepharious.-

Old 04-08-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cid911 View Post
your ignorance and stupidity are really irritating.
Rubbed you the wrong way with my comments about expats, did I? Well, I've seen expat behavior in many different countries, and with few exceptions, it's all the same nonsense.
Questions for you: are you an expat? How well do you speak Spanish? Do you live in an expat community?
Quote:
That shiit you call gated communities

I have not referred to "gated" communities. Another poster used that term.
Quote:
there are pros and cons but it seem that at the end the pros out weight the cons, otherwise they will be flooding Colombia or other countries in south America that for some weird reason they are not,
Unfortunately they are.
Quote:
The people living in communities with high percentage of expats, most are retirees too old to learn another language

If you can't learn another language, then don't move to another country.
Quote:
they don’t go there to live inside I bubble they come because they like the Mexican way of life,
They don't speak the language, they don't know the culture, which means they don't know anything about the Mexican way of life.
If you are going to move to another country to live, then you need to do the following:
a. Learn the language
b. Live in local communities
c. Interact with local people
d. Treat local people with respect.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:25 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,431,836 times
My main experience with expats has been in Guatemala and for the most part they are pretty cool. A lot of them in Guatemala in places like Lake Atitlan and Antigua Guatemala do interact quite a bit with the local population. I have met several that marry locals, both men and women. There is also a lot of expats involved in different community projects like schools and community gardens. Etc etc. So that is always appreciated.

The ones that I don't like are the ones that run businesses like factories in Guatemala city. They are usually not so nice, they have a bad rep for treating workers like ****. Also some tourist (not really expats) have a bad rep for sexually harrassing local women. When you hear about child prostitution rings getting busted, it is not uncommon for their to be a few North Americans , Europeans or Asians getting busted as customers in these places.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
If you are going to move to another country to live, then you need to do the following:
a. Learn the language
b. Live in local communities
c. Interact with local people
d. Treat local people with respect.
I'm genuinely curious, have you ever moved to another country to live?

I don't mean visit relatives every once in a while, I mean as an adult picked up and moved your life to another country to settle in where you alone are responsible for supporting yourself in that country, establishing a day-to-day existence for the long-term, etc.

Last edited by lieqiang; 04-08-2019 at 05:08 PM..

Old 04-08-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
My main experience with expats has been in Guatemala and for the most part they are pretty cool. A lot of them in Guatemala in places like Lake Atitlan and Antigua Guatemala do interact quite a bit with the local population. I have met several that marry locals, both men and women. There is also a lot of expats involved in different community projects like schools and community gardens. Etc etc. So that is always appreciated.
I agree, that is a pretty nice expat community. It's got an interesting mix everything from retired foreign service workers, younger folks working online, hippie types out at the lakes, to middle class folks who retired there to stretch their dollar. They are definitely more community involved than many other popular expat places, seems like lots of them always have something going on either in Antigua or the city.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
My main experience with expats has been in Guatemala and for the most part they are pretty cool.
The main problems I have with expats are:
1. They move in and outprice the locals or take over local businesses

2. They move in and behave obnoxiously, act superior, like they're better than the locals
3. They don't bother learning the language or integrating in positive ways with local communities. They "pretend" to learn something about the culture but all they do is dip their toes in the water a little while keeping their distance and retaining as much of their own culture as they can.
My feeling is: if you want to retain your own culture, stay in your own country.
Otherwise: relocate and go all-in; integrate 100% with the local culture. If more expats did this, they would have more appreciation for the people and the culture and they would effect positive influences rather than negative ones.

Quote:
The ones that I don't like are the ones that run businesses like factories in Guatemala city.
I was real disappointed to see in Cambodia most of the bars, restaurants are owned by French people. Local Cambodians own very few of their businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or