Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 08:18 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
II am 6'2", 250, but that probably wouldn't matter to a guy with a gun.
It doesn't matter one whiff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 10:56 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
I spent a month in a middle class neighborhood in Bogota earlier this year. Then a month in San Gil. Walked around a lot at night. Never once was I threatened or felt unsafe. I am 6'2", 250, but that probably wouldn't matter to a guy with a gun. I'm sure it happens, but generally Americans who live in Colombia feel reasonably safe.
I certainly believe it. If people think that sensationalism is bad in US outlet, they should see how sensationalism is in many Latin American outlets. It's one of the reason why many Latin Americans in the US have an opinion of Latin America that is beyond reality. Then you find yourself in those places and notice that people go about their daily lives like normal people do in your town, maybe local cultural attitudes changing how people act in general. The nights have people sitting and enjoying the night or chatting away with who they are with in a park, the nightclubs and bars are filled with people, same situation at many restaurants, and the streets have many people strolling them plus people in all types of vehicles, some getting in or out like normal people do. Its not the scene of what was expected based on the opinions of certain people that no longer live there. You expected people to be locked up in their houses as soon as night falls, yet reality isn't like that at all.

Personal experiences can have an effect as well, with some people finding trouble or the trouble finding them regardless where they find themselves. lol

Obviously there is a difference in many places, but I think many people blow things way out of proportion.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I certainly believe it.
I think you're suffering from rose-colored glasses. I've got family who live in Medellin - it's not the best neighborhood and it's not the worst, it's a stratus 3 area (the kind that regular people live in) - the people who live in this neighborhood stay in their homes at night because it's too risky to go outside. They conme home from work, and stay inside until the next day. Nobody in this neighorhood goes "hanging around parks" or walking down the street after dark.

Quote:
The nights have people sitting and enjoying the night or chatting away with who they are with in a park, the nightclubs and bars are filled with people,
You are frisked for weapons before going into nightclubs. Delinquentes who are looking to rob people are aware that people who go to nightclubs usually have cash and cell phones and will sometimes wait outside these areas for victims.

-

Something I've seen a lot in my life is that Americans and Europeans visiting third-world countries fall into two categories: those who have a self-inflated notion of invulnerability that nothing bad can ever happen to them, and on the opposite end of the scale those who are timid and never venture outside tourist-approved venues. Neither of these groups of people seem to understand the concepts of common sense and street smarts.

Take it from those of us who have more experience than you: you can't just go wandering around unfamiliar areas and behaving the way you are accustomed to behaving back home. I'm saying this for your own good.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:54 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,031,800 times
The frisking thing at clubs is a VERY welcome security feature in my eyes. I kind of wish there were more weapons checks in the United States, given the issues of gun violence.

I´ve fought off two simple robbery attempts in Colombia, but if a knife and/or gun are involved, forget it. They can have my 20,000 pesos ($6.30).

True kidnapping attempts have always been about the attackers researching their targets and making sure that it´s worth the risk, so this is more something that rich locals have to worry about...a dressed down tourist/backpacker doesn´t fit the bill.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:05 AM

10,059 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
The frisking thing at clubs is a VERY welcome security feature in my eyes. I kind of wish there were more weapons checks in the United States, given the issues of gun violence.

I´ve fought off two simple robbery attempts in Colombia, but if a knife and/or gun are involved, forget it. They can have my 20,000 pesos ($6.30).

True kidnapping attempts have always been about the attackers researching their targets and making sure that it´s worth the risk, so this is more something that rich locals have to worry about...a dressed down tourist/backpacker doesn´t fit the bill.
The point is that people visit Colombia as tourists, most of them don't read City-Data, have nice things to say. When they have to say something not so nice, the vast majority of times is not related to crime at all. The same isn't true in some other places in the same region.

If a person is thinking of visiting Colombia, they should do it and use the same common sense that is used in the USA and should be fine.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
If a person is thinking of visiting Colombia, they should do it and use the same common sense that is used in the USA and should be fine.
The "same common sense" doesn't work. The only people in the U.S. equipped "out of the box" to to comport themselves properly in Latin America are people who grew up in poor ghettos and barrios because they know how things are. The rest of the people, forget it, they don't have the proper awareness or street smarts. They can easily learn it, but they won't learn it from people telling them "Latin America is the same as the U.S."

Old 07-29-2019, 03:09 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
I certainly believe it. If people think that sensationalism is bad in US outlet, they should see how sensationalism is in many Latin American outlets. It's one of the reason why many Latin Americans in the US have an opinion of Latin America that is beyond reality. Then you find yourself in those places and notice that people go about their daily lives like normal people do in your town, maybe local cultural attitudes changing how people act in general. The nights have people sitting and enjoying the night or chatting away with who they are with in a park, the nightclubs and bars are filled with people, same situation at many restaurants, and the streets have many people strolling them plus people in all types of vehicles, some getting in or out like normal people do. Its not the scene of what was expected based on the opinions of certain people that no longer live there. You expected people to be locked up in their houses as soon as night falls, yet reality isn't like that at all.

Personal experiences can have an effect as well, with some people finding trouble or the trouble finding them regardless where they find themselves. lol

Obviously there is a difference in many places, but I think many people blow things way out of proportion.
I felt reasonably safe in Bogotá, Mexico City, and Santo Domingo when I traveled to all three. I went to bars and drank without incident.

Old 07-29-2019, 05:21 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
The "same common sense" doesn't work. The only people in the U.S. equipped "out of the box" to to comport themselves properly in Latin America are people who grew up in poor ghettos and barrios because they know how things are. The rest of the people, forget it, they don't have the proper awareness or street smarts. They can easily learn it, but they won't learn it from people telling them "Latin America is the same as the U.S."
A lot of white Americans go to certain parts of Latin America. These people tend to from at least middle class families. Ditto Black Americans. Many go as exchange students or as members of Peace Corps.

Millions of people go to places like the Dominican Republuc and rarely are their fatalities. As for robberies the US is not crime or violence free.

Americans and Europeans generally have a wonderful time in Latin America. They tend to know what they are looking for.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
As for robberies the US is not crime or violence free.
There are much fewer occurrences in the U.S. than in Latin America.

Quote:
Americans and Europeans generally have a wonderful time in Latin America. They tend to know what they are looking for.
They dont' see life for what it's really like. 99% of these people go to the same limited tourist-approved locations. What I'm talking about is the wider experience. For example if you were to find yourself in the neighborhood where my cousin lives in Medellin you wouldn't know that it's a place you need to avoid being out at night unless people told you.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:20 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
Florianopolis, Brasil

Specifically Jurere Internacional.

Your welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas