Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 02:22 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,300,278 times

Advertisements

It is unfortunate those things happens and Colombia is not the only one. Sad these things still happen in some countries in Latin America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 06:28 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,719,747 times
Today the ELN planted some bombs in Pance, Cali. See attached photos

Old 08-08-2019, 03:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,811,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I recently read an article about how people in Medellin are annoyed with all the sex tourist and netflix narcos fans. The Mayor himself said these types of tourist are not welcome. Sadly there is a lot of Americans promoting these types of things on youtube. I recently watched a rather distasteful video from a black american guy comparing women in Colombia and Brazil and focusing his camera on womens behinds on the streets of Medellin. You know are ****ing loser back home if you have to fly far away to get laid.

I love Colombian music and culture, but it is these things and types of tourist that have kept me away from the place. My wife has recently made freinds with a family that are originally from Valle del Cauca. They keep telling us if we go down we can stay with their family, which would be great. They are super nice peeps.
Any place that gets a lot of tourism of course is going to have a lot of prostitution. And why blame the tourists? They cannot but if no one is selling. It’s easy money.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:43 AM

220 posts, read 122,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I recently read an article about how people in Medellin are annoyed with all the sex tourist and netflix narcos fans. The Mayor himself said these types of tourist are not welcome. Sadly there is a lot of Americans promoting these types of things on youtube. I recently watched a rather distasteful video from a black american guy comparing women in Colombia and Brazil and focusing his camera on womens behinds on the streets of Medellin. You know are ****ing loser back home if you have to fly far away to get laid.

I love Colombian music and culture, but it is these things and types of tourist that have kept me away from the place. My wife has recently made freinds with a family that are originally from Valle del Cauca. They keep telling us if we go down we can stay with their family, which would be great. They are super nice peeps.

Not tourist/Black Americans fault that the women there are loose. *shrugs*

Maybe Latin America should look at itself in the mirror when it comes to their culture.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post

Maybe Latin America should look at itself in the mirror when it comes to their culture.
Actually, randomly filming womens behinds without them knowing has nothing to do with the women being loose.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And why blame the tourists? They cannot but if no one is selling. It’s easy money.
Because they are also part of the problem.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 08-08-2019 at 08:23 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADOSwarrior View Post

Very few women *want* to be prostitutes. Poverty is the driving force. You have an unbalanced situation of tourists with money who take advantage of poor people.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:53 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,421,686 times
I was in Medellin and I wasn't always in the "nice" areas.

Nothing bad happened to me.

But then again I was travelling with Colombians, so they were on the look out.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I was in Medellin and I wasn't always in the "nice" areas.

Nothing bad happened to me.

But then again I was travelling with Colombians, so they were on the look out.
You didn't walk around those areas at night, did you?
And they didn't take you into stratus 1 neighborhoods, did they.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:27 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,999,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You didn't walk around those areas at night, did you?
And they didn't take you into stratus 1 neighborhoods, did they.
Yeah, there´s just kind of no reason to hang around in Estrato 1...you´re just asking for trouble there.

On my last visit it was very disheartening to see a poor barrio no longer invested in. Santo Domingo, where Spain built a library about 10 years ago, is completely forgotten about now. The library apparently was shoddily built and is now wrapped in visqueen tarps, held together by giant metal bars, and essentially condemned. People were looking at my friend and I like we were nuts to even be there, cops were shaking dudes down left and right...it didn´t feel safe at all. In years past it was a place that tourists went to during the day, and I thought nothing of drinking a beer up there and watching the sun go down...not anymore. I don´t think I´ll even ride that cable line again, unless it´s straight up to Parque Arví, no more stops long the way. Even down at the base of that cable line (Acevedo Station) is feo, feo.

Medellín has done a great job making working class areas liveable though. My favorite barrio is Castilla up north, seriously I love the place. I always stay there and the locals are so kind...it´s a humble area but it´s well cared for. Estrato 3 neighborhoods in Pereira are never that friendly or vibrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas