U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2019, 08:08 AM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,236,862 times
Reputation: 5878

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
somewhat true, and somewhat not true. It's true that prostitution exists in Brazil, and that it emerges in the crosshairs where tourists visit.

That being said, it is not that hard to get laid in Brazil (without paying for it). The bigger challenge is maintaining that relationship. I was in Brazil for six months, and the concept of 'staying faithful' is hard for Brazilians, particularly when they are already naturally sexy, flirtatious, and social already.

I also can't count the amount of times I'd meet a Brazilian who was open for anything, but already had a boyfriend already. Or the other of being absolutely fine with adding you on the list of other boyfriends they have already. That's not true of all Brazilians, but it is certainly true in the areas where foreigners try to socialize and meet Brazilians - being in an already social atmosphere already to meet them.

There are also some very religious conservative prudish types of Brazilians as well...and Evangelical Christianity is quite popular and continues to flourish in Brazil as well.
The women that hang out where foreigners and tourists do I doubt represent the typical Brazilians more like outliers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-19-2019, 08:55 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,395 posts, read 19,311,556 times
Reputation: 8493
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
The comparison is absurd. It's an umbrella term for those who work in the sex industry. For instance, if a woman works as a phone sex operator, or she models nude on webcam from the privacy of her own home, it wouldn't be accurate to call her a prostitute. It would be accurate to call her a sex worker. You can still call a prostitute a prostitute, and many if not most sex workers probably are that, but umbrella terms can be useful. You haven't offered up anything substantive to the discussion other than a rather childish surface level disgust about a complex issue that we should deal with like mature adults.
Nothing childish or superficial about my views, I have strong values and am conservative in this respect. I find all those "jobs" you named morally flawed. Simple test, would you like your daughter or wife to do those "jobs"? And be honest...

There is nothing complex about this issue, to the contrary it is rather simple. Being adult doesn't mean accepting everything just because it is politically correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2019, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Broward County, FL
282 posts, read 121,035 times
Reputation: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Nothing childish or superficial about my views, I have strong values and am conservative in this respect. I find all those "jobs" you named morally flawed. Simple test, would you like your daughter or wife to do those "jobs"? And be honest...

There is nothing complex about this issue, to the contrary it is rather simple. Being adult doesn't mean accepting everything just because it is politically correct.
The way you've expressed said views have been pretty simplistic and repetitive. Whether I would want them to do the job or not is besides the point. It's a reality that people are going to do these jobs and we should try to handle it in the best way possible. The issue is rather complex and stupid simple prohibition positions like yours have obviously not worked. Also, my position has nothing to do with political correctness. If anything, it's more politically incorrect. You'll never see a major politician in my country (the US) run with that on his or her platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2019, 09:20 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,395 posts, read 19,311,556 times
Reputation: 8493
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
The way you've expressed said views have been pretty simplistic and repetitive. Whether I would want them to do the job or not is besides the point. It's a reality that people are going to do these jobs and we should try to handle it in the best way possible. The issue is rather complex and stupid simple prohibition positions like yours have obviously not worked. Also, my position has nothing to do with political correctness. If anything, it's more politically incorrect. You'll never see a major politician in my country (the US) run with that on his or her platform.
It is not beside the point regarding the question of morals. Why don't parents want their daughters to become prostitutes? Because they consider it immoral and embarrassing.

People only do those jobs because they have to, usually because they are poor or in more extreme cases because they are forced to by criminal gangs.

Calling those people sex workers banalizes the issue, pretending those jobs are like any other jobs. But they are not. It is politically correct these days not to call a spade a spade, to accept almost everything and anything under the pretext of tolerance and freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2019, 03:49 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Reputation: 13007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It is not beside the point regarding the question of morals. Why don't parents want their daughters to become prostitutes? Because they consider it immoral and embarrassing.

People only do those jobs because they have to, usually because they are poor or in more extreme cases because they are forced to by criminal gangs.
This is not always the case though. There are some women who genuinely get pleasure from selling their bodies to men. It is an enticing rush for them.

A lot of aspiring models and actresses fall into this category. They believe their bodies are for the world to enjoy. And of course the money isn't bad either, so they become high-class escorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 09:00 AM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,931,227 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I agree that there is such a bias. People want to believe for instance that Germans are serious, boring, cold people. They totally ignore that Germans also have huge Carnaval celebrations, .
I think that German carnival will confirm that it has serious, boring and cold people. Its not Rio, Salvador, Trinidad, or New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 10:35 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,395 posts, read 19,311,556 times
Reputation: 8493
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is not always the case though. There are some women who genuinely get pleasure from selling their bodies to men. It is an enticing rush for them.

A lot of aspiring models and actresses fall into this category. They believe their bodies are for the world to enjoy. And of course the money isn't bad either, so they become high-class escorts.
Those are immature, ill-guided women with big moral flaws in my view.
They may say they like it, just like when women say they love their violent, beating husbands, when in reality they are dependent, obsessed, weak or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 10:43 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,395 posts, read 19,311,556 times
Reputation: 8493
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I think that German carnival will confirm that it has serious, boring and cold people. Its not Rio, Salvador, Trinidad, or New Orleans.
I think you are wrong. Sure, the carnival in Cologne is not like the one in Rio, but that is mostly due to the weather. It is still winter here in Europe while it is summer in Rio. So, dancing half naked in German streets is not much fun in late February/early March, people usually wear winter clothes, and the population is older on average compared to Brazil (43 vs 30 years). Even here in Portugal, which has a rather Brazilian carnival with Samba etc., some people make fun of it because it is so out of place due to the different season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 08:12 PM
 
7,437 posts, read 5,931,227 times
Reputation: 3799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think you are wrong. Sure, the carnival in Cologne is not like the one in Rio, but that is mostly due to the weather. It is still winter here in Europe while it is summer in Rio. So, dancing half naked in German streets is not much fun in late February/early March, people usually wear winter clothes, and the population is older on average compared to Brazil (43 vs 30 years). Even here in Portugal, which has a rather Brazilian carnival with Samba etc., some people make fun of it because it is so out of place due to the different season.
If Brazilians or Trinidadians ran your German carnival they would figure out how to make it more fun. Some cultures are just more serious and less uninhibited. Nothing wrong with that.


You should see election campaigning in the Caribbean. And the celebrations by the winning party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2019, 03:27 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,395 posts, read 19,311,556 times
Reputation: 8493
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
If Brazilians or Trinidadians ran your German carnival they would figure out how to make it more fun. Some cultures are just more serious and less uninhibited. Nothing wrong with that.


You should see election campaigning in the Caribbean. And the celebrations by the winning party.


Depends what one considers fun. Even a lot of Brazilians don't like their own Carnival. A friend of mine in SP outright hates it, she hates the noise, the dirt, the crime. She is as Brazilian as it gets, but that doesn't mean she is more into fun than I am, for instance. There are so many cliches...

Don't know about Caribbeans, always disliked the Caribbean, frankly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top