U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 01:27 PM

21,448 posts, read 19,332,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
I went to Germany, was gray sure, but had the craziest party of my life, jajajjaa
Germany is fun.
Gray in what way? Weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 05:18 AM

349 posts, read 380,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

The worst part of the perceived image is that people will often do a confirmation bias. With this I mean that they would do ‘research’ via social media (Youtube, forums, and such) and find exceptions that are presented in those medias as if they are the rule for those countries, and they will use that as evidence to counter whatever the natives of those countries say regarding how their country truly is.
That is the most dangerous thing about social media.

You can drown in your own interests/beliefs.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:01 AM

718 posts, read 478,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
This dychotomy between how certain groups of people view a particular country and what that country is truly like isn’t limited to Brazil. Countries such as Colombia, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica are some examples of this.

Exactly. A lot of people base their perception of Colombia on Medellin and, to a lesser degree, Cartagena, which are the two most touristic cities of the country. They can't comprehend that other Colombian cities don't have the history with drug cartels Medellin has, or that women are different in other cities and idiosyncrasy of people too.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:44 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,446,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Exactly. A lot of people base their perception of Colombia on Medellin and, to a lesser degree, Cartagena, which are the two most touristic cities of the country. They can't comprehend that other Colombian cities don't have the history with drug cartels Medellin has, or that women are different in other cities and idiosyncrasy of people too.
What about Cali?

Old 02-10-2019, 06:42 PM

29 posts, read 8,068 times
I don't see Brazil as being hedonistic, but the stereotype sort of plays on that.

In fact Brazilians and Brazil's society tends to be generally quite moral and conservative.

But they certainly sell Brazil as the fun lover's paradise. When I was there, it did not strike me that way at all.

Sao Paulo is a heavily-populated business-oriented city, and when I visited Rio it was actually eerily quiet, rainy and sedate.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:52 PM

17,278 posts, read 19,572,199 times
I'm willing to bet that if you spend enough $$$$, you can get as hedonistic as you want in Brazil.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:18 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,446,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm willing to bet that if you spend enough $$$$, you can get as hedonistic as you want in Brazil.
That is probably true anywhere in the world. lol

Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 PM

15 posts, read 5,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
That is probably true anywhere in the world. lol
Exactly.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:23 AM

729 posts, read 382,672 times
I met many foreigner visiting Brazil for business and their impression is that ‘’Brazilians know enjoy the life’’. I think the point is how we live in a country with good climate all year long, fulled of beachs and natural atractions, Brazilians naturally do much outdoor activities.
The meat and beer are cheap in Brazil so we are always in our spare time meeting friends and family for barbecures, it looks like if we are always celebrating but it is more for lunch in family.

The carnival parade and touristic oriented areas of Rio de Janeiro and in the Brazilian Notheast coast (also tourist fun oriented) is another point, most Brazilians in these areas are in there vacation also like the foreigner, but the last think we live this life all year long.
Last thing sex prostitution in Brazil is legal and well organizated business, so for men from countries where it is repressed Brazil looks the paradise. There are many clubs in Brazil where men can find top model looking women and pay her for having sex with no trouble.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:54 AM

12,724 posts, read 14,097,737 times
I knew a small number of Brazilians when I lived in NYC. An American cousin had moved to Brazil where he had been living for fifteen years or so and had a business. When he came to NYC he only went to Brazilian entertainment places and only dated Brazilian women....and lapsed into Portuguese constantly. So, he provided a crash course in ex-pat Brazilian society.

I emigrated to Europe twenty years ago, and have lived in Portugal about seventeen years. The largest group of immigrants here are Portuguese, I believe, and they are a constant presence in the town where I live. Over the years I have had more Brazilian acquaintances and friends than Portuguese. With only two exceptions that come to mind I have found them very outgoing, good-humored, friendly people....yes, other national groups have that reputation, the Irish for example, but the Brazilians have an exuberance that is special in my experience.

I think the commercial image of Brasil promotes the idea of hedonism, but after getting to know people I have found that many of them are religious, or at least have a kind of religious "touchstone" in their lives. Whether that includes regular church attendance, which is often a measure of how religious someone is, I don't know. But I think not.

I have known a Brazilian woman from a moneyed background, well-educated and well-traveled, who is an Evangelical Christian. I like her and she is a very friendly woman with a good sense of humor, but she has a negative, depressed streak in her personality and this is where her religion is often asserted in a rather truculent manner.

With trepidation I will mention John Krich's 1993 book, Why Is This Country Dancing?. I think the book goes with the flow of the OP. On the other hand, if you can hold your nose occasionally he does manage some interesting insights outside of that stereotype....and his primary interest in life seems to be music, and here he is more palatable. But in the end there are a great many good Brazilian authors translated into English, and they can speak for Brazil with a better claim to getting it right. But Brazil is as complex as the U.S., so maybe there are numerous ways of "getting it right"....but there are numerous great Brazilian writers too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or