Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 07:49 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
You are aware that most of the books in The Old Testament of the Bible are the same books found in the Jewish Torah, right?

How old is the Torah? Jesus lived some 2,000+ years ago and the Torah predates him for another thousand years, perhaps many more.

Exactly...

My point is that the old saying that prostitution is the oldest profession could very well be true.
Indeed, and the Torah is not really that old, its age has been revised repeatedly by scholars. The oldest parts are from about the 7th century bc. The whole religion and its writings are highly politicized, not historically correct at all. Think for instance of all the politically motivated lies about Egypt (in reality the Jews were kicked out because they misbehaved, and nothing happened to the Egyptian army, nor did their Pharaoh die, we know all that and much more by now thanks to objective scientists).

Either way, it is irrelevant because there had been civilized people for thousands of years before there were any Jews. The time when men simply raped any women, as was claimed, was much longer ago, if it ever happened at all. It is not even the case in our closest relatives, the great apes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 07:52 AM

I don't like prostitutes, either. Everyone has the right to not like something they consider morally flawed.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:54 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
No you just feel superior to them and look down at their culture.

What have they ever done to you? It's none of your business what people do with their lives.
1. Overall no just some segments. I don't like criminal sub-cultures and that doesn't represent most Central Americans or Brazilians. But prostitution is part of that criminal layer and all the problems that go with it. Even when it is legal it attracts the scrum layer of society.

2. It is my business I've seen what can happen when just one of them moves into a community.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:58 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Indeed, and the Torah is not really that old, its age has been revised repeatedly by scholars. The oldest parts are from about the 7th century bc. The whole religion and its writings are highly politicized, not historically correct at all. Think for instance of all the politically motivated lies about Egypt (in reality the Jews were kicked out because they misbehaved, and nothing happened to the Egyptian army, nor did their Pharaoh die, we know all that and much more by now thanks to objective scientists).

Either way, it is irrelevant because there had been civilized people for thousands of years before there were any Jews. The time when men simply raped any women, as was claimed, was much longer ago, if it ever happened at all. It is not even the case in our closest relatives, the great apes.
The Torah is much older than that.

You do have a point regarding we should look at how the chimpazee (the closest animal relative to humans) live to get clues on how humans were before having structured societies.

Here is one:

Yet, it is among the so-called higher animals such as dolphins and apes—who by virtue of their higher intelligence and sociability are more in the likeness of man—that females are harmed and coerced with the explicit motive of subjugation.
https://www.livemint.com/Opinion/jky...l-kingdom.html

Another one:

Sexual aggression by males toward females is widespread among social mammals.
https://www.americanscientist.org/ar...t-inexplicable

And another:

The second section consists of a series of papers describing patterns of male sexual coercion among nonhuman primates. Richard C. Connor and Nicole L. Vollmer compare the behavior of male chimpanzees with that of male bottlenose dolphins, which serve as a useful out-group for understanding the evolutionary forces molding male aggression toward females. Male bottlenose dolphins are well known for their alliances, their group coercion of females and their generally nasty behavior toward unrelated dolphins. All these traits are prominent features of chimpanzee society, and some would argue that they are features of many traditional human societies as well.
https://www.americanscientist.org/ar...t-inexplicable

The last one I’ll cite here.

Male chimpanzees that wage a campaign of sustained aggression against females sire more offspring than their less violent counterparts, new research finds.

The results suggest that such nasty behavior from males evolved because it gave the meanest males a reproductive advantage, said study co-author Ian Gilby, a primatologist at Arizona State University in Phoenix.

This chimpanzee behavior could also provide some insight into the roots of sexual aggression in men.

"It is possible that in our early ancestors there may have been an adaptive value to male aggression against females," Gilby said.

https://www.livescience.com/48743-ag...duce-more.html

The chimpanzee coerce their female counterparts for sex. Who would had thought that was a thing among the smarter animals...

Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 PM

Actually no, it is not older.

I said great apes, not only chimps, who are certainly the most violent of the great apes, along with humans maybe.
However, genetically chimps are not closer to humans than bonobos are, and bonobos are very different from chimps, especially regarding sexuality, society, aggression, etc. Looking at their sexuality, bonobos are actually much closer to humans than chimps are, including homosexuality. Yet, there is no rape among bonobos, females actually dominate their society. There is widespread consensual sexuality, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonobo...xual_behaviour

Be that as it may, as I said before, there is a giant time gap in your view, like, tens or even hundreds of thousands of years.

Last edited by Neuling; 02-13-2019 at 01:46 PM..

Old 02-13-2019, 01:49 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
1. Overall no just some segments. I don't like criminal sub-cultures and that doesn't represent most Central Americans or Brazilians. But prostitution is part of that criminal layer and all the problems that go with it. Even when it is legal it attracts the scrum layer of society.
y.
Prostitution is found in every part of the world. Not just in Central America or Brazil.

Again, I live in Canada. I believe we can do more to protect sex workers here...In this country.

Quote:
2. It is my business I've seen what can happen when just one of them moves into a communitY
That meansthey probably need safer place to do it. Specially from people like you that look down on them and don't care about them.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:52 PM

"sex workers" is such an absurd term, what's next, "death workers" for hitmen?

Old 02-13-2019, 02:17 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
Quote:
"sex workers" is such an absurd term, what's next, "death workers" for hitmen?

Are you portuguese too?

Old 02-13-2019, 02:19 PM

No, why?

Old 02-13-2019, 03:01 PM

10,067 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Actually no, it is not older.

I said great apes, not only chimps, who are certainly the most violent of the great apes, along with humans maybe.
However, genetically chimps are not closer to humans than bonobos are, and bonobos are very different from chimps, especially regarding sexuality, society, aggression, etc. Looking at their sexuality, bonobos are actually much closer to humans than chimps are, including homosexuality. Yet, there is no rape among bonobos, females actually dominate their society. There is widespread consensual sexuality, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonobo...xual_behaviour

Be that as it may, as I said before, there is a giant time gap in your view, like, tens or even hundreds of thousands of years.
Bonobos are not genetically closer to humans than chimpanzees, they are the same in that respect. Too bad human social behavior is more in tune with chimpanzees (male dominated) than with bonobos. It makes sense, since species where males are capable of dominating women is where sexual aggression of the females is most common.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2012...uman-relatives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas