U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 04:01 AM

726 posts, read 380,621 times

Advertisements

Mates, I will travel to Medellin but how I am going there at work I will have only 5 afternoon / nights (after business hours) and only 1 complete day to really to do some tourism over there.
What do you guys recomend I visit?? The hottest touristic spots??
I am single in my thirties years old man and I would like to visit also the local night city scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 01:43 PM

2,874 posts, read 1,545,141 times
That one free day make sure you take a day trip to Guatape and climb the stairs of the Peņol rock for a great view. The town is colourful and great to stroll around.

It's a shame you only have one free day because one of the best things about Medellin are the cute nearby towns and villages.

La Carrera 70 or simply "La Setenta" is the main local nightlife street in Laureles. However, the main nightlife spot where there are a lot of Gringos as well is the area around Parque Lleras in 'El Poblado'. I suggest you stay somewhere in Laureles, its not as noisy or lively as Poblado but definitely has a more local flavour. However, if you can afford it pick an airbnb in the Energy Living building, it's stunning. Also don't forget to go for drinks at the rooftop terrace of the Charlee hotel with a pool.

The most touristic spots are:

- Comuna 13 free tour
- Provenza
- Pueblito Paisa ontop of Cerro Nutibarra
- Parque Lineal La Frontera
- Plaza Botero
- Botanical Gardens and Parque Explora
- Parque Arvi & Biblioteca Espaņa (Santo Domingo)
- Parque Pies Descalzos
- Mercado del Rio
- Museo de Arte Moderno (MAMM)

Those are what I consider the 'MUST DO' sites in Medellin although you also could add stuff like 'Barrio El Prado', the Planetarium, Parque Berrio, the Parque de la Luz or the Brick Cathedral (the biggest in the world) as well as many other libraries, parks and cycle ways.

You also have the bordering towns of Sabaneta and Envigado which were once separate but were swallowed up by Medellin but still act a separate towns with their own town squares etc.

Nightlife guide (see comments below for some updates): My Medellin Nightlife After 6 Years - The Definitive Guide

Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 PM

974 posts, read 1,963,222 times
You have to see a little of Medellínīs grit, and how itīs turned around in many ways. The outdoor escalators are something, check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezNv0tSO9ds

Go there in the afternoon, or even better is taking the cable cars up to la Biblioteca de Espaņa (connects to the Acevedo stop on the Medellín Metro) and drinking a beer as the sun goes down. The neighborhood is safe because tourists like you go up there now, the locals would never think to pull anything and mess up the good thing they have going with all the new development and social integration there...just donīt wander too far off the beaten path.

I agree that Laureles is a better option than El Poblado. Unless you want hustlers trying to sell you drugs and offer you disease-ridden prostitutes, you shouldnīt bank on Parque Lleras at night. Itīs quite the wasteland these days, and both sides are to blame...gringos for seeking out such activities, and locals for diverting their sleazy enterprises towards tourists.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:27 PM

5,819 posts, read 9,470,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
What do you guys recomend I visit?
Go to the art museum where they've got a lot of Botero paintings hanging on the inside, and a bunch of Botero sculptures outside.
Quote:
I am single in my thirties years old man and I would like to visit also the local night city scene.
Be careful with that.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:15 AM

84 posts, read 32,906 times
Quote:
Mates, I will travel to Medellin but how I am going there at work I will have only 5 afternoon / nights (after business hours) and only 1 complete day to really to do some tourism over there.
It depends.

If you're more into tons of people, noise, party… Parque Lleras, this is where a huge amount of people (Colombians, Europeans, Americans etc.) congregate. however it's becoming like a Bangkok kind of thing with hordes of hookers, and drugs, and backpackers, and hustlers, and men from all over the world. etc.

If you're into higher class and burgeois then go to Barrio Colombia. It's more of an exclusive nightclub kind of thing. VIP.

If you're into a more Colombia, Caribbean vibe with actual locals kind of thing, go to the área known as "La 80". This is more the colombian vibe.

Seventy Street (its called like that) it's more bohemian.

If you wanna sightsee, go to Guatapé and el Peņol.... you`ll be WOWed. it's 40 minutes in the Eastern burbs of the city.

Another área it's Santa fe de Antioquia. It's a cool suburb around 1 away from the city.

Anothe place to party (My favorite) its going up to Las Palmas. Palmas it's one a huge mountian on the souuth side of the city. You need transportation and it gets colder. since it's the mountains.

Needless to say, be Street Smart.... dont go into the favelas or comunas (Comuna 13) you seem to be from Brazil, so you understand what I mean.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:20 AM

4 posts, read 1,425 times
Quote:
I have some recomendations for you:

Pueblito Paisa ontop of Cerro Nutibarra
- Parque Lineal La Frontera
- Plaza Botero
- Botanical Gardens and Parque Explora
- Parque Arvi & Biblioteca Espaņa (Santo Domingo)
- Parque Pies Descalzos
- Mercado del Rio
Wish you have a happy afternoon.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
the locals would never think to pull anything and mess up the good thing they have going
Sorry, I have to call you out on this statement. Incorrect.

Quote:
Unless you want hustlers trying to sell you drugs and offer you disease-ridden prostitutes, you shouldnīt bank on Parque Lleras at night
Parque Lleras is ok. Last time I was there a couple years ago. It's perfectly fine for hanging out, dancing, drinking a little beer. There's a lot of people there, the ambience is fine. Yeah there's prostitutes and stuff but it's not like you're getting continually harassed. Or at least I wasn't. I can't speak for gringos/white people, you might have a different experience.
But those of you who do want to go to Colombia to "party", just remember this: every line of coke you have, one or two people were murdered, dismembered and stuffed in garbage bags to get that line of coke in front of your nose. Yeah, I'm talking to you, OP...

Old 02-20-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post

But those of you who do want to go to Colombia to "party", just remember this: every line of coke you have, one or two people were murdered, dismembered and stuffed in garbage bags to get that line of coke in front of your nose. Yeah, I'm talking to you, OP...
Good call on that, people think itīs harmless fun but itīs really not.

Parque Lleras just seems to be going down though, youīre correct that people can drink beers and enjoy themselves there, itīs true...but the last time I was there people definitely came up to one of my friends (granted, he has the "look" of not living in the country and clearly just visiting) and pulled out bags of various drugs and held them inches from our faces, it was a bit much. Itīs a real shame.

Iīve been to Medellín probably 25 times, each time I go up to Comuna 13 on the esclaeras and take the cable cars to the biblioteca, nothingīs ever happened. Some kids in Comuna 13 asked me to buy them an ice cream once, thatīs it. Also in case I didnīt clarify, Iīm not suggesting that anyone go wal far away from these now touristic sites where people come and go everyday. This guy is from Brazil, in Rio you have favelas right next to posh areas. Now if a robbery or something happens up there to a tourist, their vacation is ruined and statistics donīt matter. I guess I still suggest that the OP go up there during the day, assuming he really wants to understand Medallo in its entirety.

The problem with anyoneīs tips is...is the information at hand really balanced? Itīs hard to tell. Many upper class families will try to take a foreign tourist to the mall and other completely sterile places in a desperate attempt to make the country look extra safe and developed. Iīve had people cringe at the idea of me going to the Minorista and staying/partying in Barrio Castilla. To each his own, I donīt even fool with El Poblado anymore. Envigado is as upscale as it gets when I visit.

Last edited by aab7855; 02-20-2019 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-20-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Good call on that, people think itīs harmless fun but itīs really not. Parque Lleras just seems to be going down though,
Interesting. That sucks.
Quote:
pulled out bags of various drugs and held them inches from our faces, it was a bit much.
Yeah that's not good. When I was wandering around the streets of Phnom Pnehm in Cambodia last year, had random locals offer me drugs a couple times. It's a shame that's what locals think you're there for.
Quote:
assuming he really wants to understand Medello in its entirety.
"Medallo" (small correction)

Old 02-20-2019, 10:01 AM

Oops, typo there, I knew that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or