Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 03:06 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times

Advertisements

I would like to go to the "eje cafetero" in Colombia and see the greatest coffee producing region in the world.

I always thought the song "Moliendo cafe" was Cuban but its Venezuelan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 05:21 PM

881 posts, read 922,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I would like to go to the "eje cafetero" in Colombia and see the greatest coffee producing region in the world.

I always thought the song "Moliendo cafe" was Cuban but its Venezuelan.

Actually the department of Huila in the south east of the country is the largest producer: café colombiano: Huila es el primer productor de café nacional | Neiva | Caracol Radio

Followed by Antioquia, Norte de Santander and other departments.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:43 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,723,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Actually the department of Huila in the south east of the country is the largest producer: café colombiano: Huila es el primer productor de café nacional | Neiva | Caracol Radio

Followed by Antioquia, Norte de Santander and other departments.
Yes, but the heart of coffee production is historically in the 'eje cafetero'. Its just that due to the prosperity brought about by decades of the coffee industry has lead to a growth in services, other industries and tourism whereby classic old coffee haciendas have now become tourist meccas which give more dividends than just coffee production. The legacy is still there and there's especially a growth in high quality roasting, blending and preparation on-site in the 'eje' instead of these processes taking place in far flung countries like Italy.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:58 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Isn’t instant coffee more popular in Latin America?

Old 02-14-2019, 09:14 PM

In Central America they export all the good stuff. Locals drink instant coffee. I drank a lot of chocolate last time I was in El Salvador though. That stuff is good.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Oh please! Says who?

That's like saying French wine is superior and no-one else can compete. Load of bolllocks.
LOL Do they produce any wine in Colombia?

Old 02-15-2019, 06:26 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
Quote:
Yes, but the heart of coffee production is historically in the 'eje cafetero'. Its just that due to the prosperity brought about by decades of the coffee industry has lead to a growth in services, other industries and tourism whereby classic old coffee haciendas have now become tourist meccas which give more dividends than just coffee production. The legacy is still there and there's especially a growth in high quality roasting, blending and preparation on-site in the 'eje' instead of these processes taking place in far flung countries like Italy.
If you ever make that trip, shoot me a message. I´d be happy to give you tips about where to go and what to see...I took a tour of a finca located between Manizales and Pereira, and I learned so much about the process.

Even if other regions are beating us in production, you´re spot on that the Eje contains all the cultural gems of the coffee trade.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
If you ever make that trip, shoot me a message. I´d be happy to give you tips about where to go and what to see...I took a tour of a finca located between Manizales and Pereira, and I learned so much about the process.

Even if other regions are beating us in production, you´re spot on that the Eje contains all the cultural gems of the coffee trade.
I'll be there in the 'eje cafetero' from mid-March so yes, any coffee info would be fantastic! - Farms, beans, blends, coffee shops, unique brands. Although my grandfather was a coffee farmer that legacy no longer exists sadly but would be great to get in touch with it again.

Cheers amigo, much appreciated.

PS. I love how you say "us", have you adopted this region as your own? Although I'm one generation removed, I'm happy to welcome you to the club hehe.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOL Do they produce any wine in Colombia?
Actually they do. In the dry regions of the Sugamuxi (hispanicised: Sogamoso) Andean plateau.
Not much but its of good quality.

You also have lower quality sweet wine in La Union, Valle del Cauca.

I was a wine trader for nearly 7 years of my life so know a thing or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Isn’t instant coffee more popular in Latin America?
Practically no instant coffee in Colombia, every household has at least a 'Colador de Cafe' - google it.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:

I was a wine trader for nearly 7 years of my life so know a thing or two.

Sounds cool man. Wish i knew a bit more about wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas