U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2019, 12:54 PM
 
24,205 posts, read 17,604,327 times
Reputation: 9150

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Hispanic in the USA is generally understood as a descendant of someone from a Spanish speaking Latin American country. Basically it's understood to be a culture with a Spaniard base but that has mulatto or Mestizo elements. No longer just Spaniard.


I know what the word derives from but it is generally reserved for those from the Colonies of Spain. You rarely find a Spaniard embracing that word in the USA.
Louisana has major “mulatto elements in the form of the Creoles and was both a French and Spanish colony.

In the 50s any white Hispanic would have just been accepted as white. So Onlynif the person had visible non white features would Southerners have carried.

So Perez was a racist Hispanic. One clearly not interested in “mixing”. Hey, it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2019, 12:54 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,236,862 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
To a certain point I get what you are saying, but glancing the definition that is used in the US Census is clear that Spaniards are included, as it should be.


https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...w.xhtml?src=CF
Ibericos are different than Hispanics who have added layers of culture but also genetics. The Hispanic category used in the US census was primary a political tool to protect brown people from being discriminated by white Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2019, 12:56 PM
 
2,326 posts, read 946,544 times
Reputation: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
No offense but those definitions are usually written but some white guy who doesn't know what they're talking about they've even at times tried to include Portuguese people because of the so called Roman Hispania argument.
Yup people of Portuguese origin have often been considered to be "hispanic".



People were saying that Justice Benjamin Nathan Cardozo
was the first "hispanic" Supreme Court Justice - not Sotomayor.

And his family was actually an English family that had some distant Portuguese origin from the 17th century - they immigrated to the U.S from England.

Anybody can be "hispanic". There's no reason that Judge Leander Perez was not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2019, 01:01 PM
 
2,326 posts, read 946,544 times
Reputation: 1771
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

So Perez was a racist Hispanic. One clearly not interested in “mixing”. Hey, it happens.
Perez was not atypical. In Texas and the South West, Spanish-Americans were generally as white and as racist as Anglo-Americans. Many did not support civil rights for minorities. There were popular Mexican white supremacist newspapers in Texas in the 50s.

Perez was just the most notable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2019, 01:20 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,236,862 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Yup people of Portuguese origin have often been considered to be "hispanic".



People were saying that Justice Benjamin Nathan Cardozo
was the first "hispanic" Supreme Court Justice - not Sotomayor.

And his family was actually an English family that had some distant Portuguese origin from the 17th century - they immigrated to the U.S from England.

Anybody can be "hispanic". There's no reason that Judge Leander Perez was not.
We are not though to include us with Spain is an insult! Typical of dumb ass Americans.

Last edited by AFP; 02-20-2019 at 01:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2019, 02:55 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
Reputation: 8038
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
A friend of mine from Spain who used to be a journalist in New Orlens went down to the Isleños festival, when she interviews a local you can tell he´s struggling with the language, he even gets the gender wrong in the interview...he does have that Canarian/Venezuelan-esque accent though:
This caught my attention, because gender has been largely abolished in Chavacano, the form of Spanish introduced to the Philippines from Mexico about the same time, 1700s. The article la/las has disappeared, it's all el/los, and some pronouns have merged into a neuter, like ele.. But nina/amiga/novia still distinguish from nino/amigo/novio. But as "el amiga".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2019, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
975 posts, read 1,965,458 times
Reputation: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
This caught my attention, because gender has been largely abolished in Chavacano, the form of Spanish introduced to the Philippines from Mexico about the same time, 1700s. The article la/las has disappeared, it's all el/los, and some pronouns have merged into a neuter, like ele.. But nina/amiga/novia still distinguish from nino/amigo/novio. But as "el amiga".
Fascinating, I had no idea. How many Filipinos still speak Spanish today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2019, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,414 posts, read 1,673,386 times
Reputation: 8038
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Fascinating, I had no idea. How many Filipinos still speak Spanish today?
About a million, in the city of Zamboanga where it's the everyday street lanugage. My wife speaks only Chavacano with her family, and understands my Spanish only if spoken slowly. Her sister, now a nurse in Florida, says she picked up Spanish there very quickly.
Here is a very good summary, with lots of examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuLmlHo7Wrk

Last edited by cebuan; 02-25-2019 at 05:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2019, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,529 posts, read 9,412,026 times
Reputation: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
About a million, in the city of Zamboanga where it's the everyday street lanugage. My wife speaks only Chavacano with her family, and understands my Spanish only if spoken slowly. Her sister, now a nurse in Florida, says she picked up Spanish there very quickly.
Here is a very good summary, with lots of examples


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuLmlHo7Wrk
Here’s another.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=64dJv3CpjDQ

BTW, did you know the first Filipino settlement in what is now the the US was in Louisiana?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Malo,_Louisiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2019, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,529 posts, read 9,412,026 times
Reputation: 6685
And here’s something else of interest.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PzWw2q8BNHQ

Last edited by Mouldy Old Schmo; 02-25-2019 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top