Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 09:42 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times

Advertisements

If we are talking about Don Francisco from Sabado gigante, I believe he is Chileno.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:56 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Yeah, if you talk to a Mexican and you refer to them as Latino or ask them if they're Latino, many of them will refuse to identify with that nomenclature. They are Mexican through and through. In Latin America, on the other hand, everyone refers to themselves as Latinos, likewise in Puerto Rico, etc.

To me, "Hispanic" refers to anyone who has a Spanish last name (or one parent who does), who has Spanish blood, who comes from a culture that derives directly from the conquistador culture and who may share the language. I suppose "Hispanic" includes Spaniards as well.

so now that I think about it, how about the Italian descendents in Argentina? They are certainly Latino but are they Hispanic? I guess this is what Mouldy Old Shmo was getting on about. Good question. I'd probably say they are not, because their heritage doesn't come from Spain.

Don Francisco is from Venezuela, correct? So probably Hispanic. Pope Francisco I'm not sure about - he's probably Italian.

The gypsies in Spain I would definitely say they are NOT Hispanic. Their heritage is a whole different ball of wax.
From Chile the son of German-Jewish refugees from WWII.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:04 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
this is a misconception. The concept was actually invented by mexican-american activist groups starting in the late 1960s. The purpose was to get minority benefits for mexicans.

They wanted federal funding, affirmative action, civil rights protections, but couldn't do that because they were not a minority group - and there was no data to prove that they were being discriminated. They had to invent the whole concept and lobby the government for its inclusion. "hispanic" essentially made all people of spanish speaking origin into a protected minority group.

That's not what it was about at all. When mexicans were first fighting for recognition as a minority group in the 60s, they wanted a category just for mexicans. They were told "no" because mexicans were not a national group. Mexicans were a regional group just in the south west so the census denied their claim.

Then they concocted the idea that all people who speak spanish are part of the same ethnic group in order to project themselves as a national group across the united states. That was the purpose of the pan-ethnic "hispanic" concept. They went back to washington saying that all latin americans and spanish speaking people were a group, making up a bunch of stories, and were deserving of representation and funding.
bingo

Old 02-22-2019, 10:12 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,001,270 times
The idea of "hispanics" or "latinos" or "chicanos" all being one race is preposterous. This is why when I use any of these terms I always put them in quotes. The vast majority of hispanics in America are probably mestizos or triracial but anybody can essentially identify as hispanic if they have an ancestor that was Spanish or Mestizo which I find dumb. My great grandmother looked very European and she is no more than a quarter Spanish/Mestizo but since her last name is common among "hispanics" in America it means our entire family is technically hispanic. My girlfriend's grandmother is a mestizo but she also looks European and she uses the "hispanic" thing to get affirmative action. If you can take advantage of it, then why not, but it is pretty ridiculous.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:29 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
If we are talking about Don Francisco from Sabado gigante, I believe he is Chileno.
That’s the Don Francisco the OP referred to, but I also think I know why he or she mentioned him. While it is true that Don Francisco is Chilean, what many people don’t know is that he’s of German descent. His last name is very German.

But he is Hispanic, because despite his very recent German ancestry, his mother tongue is Spanish. He doesn’t even speak Spanish with the typical accent I have heard from some Germans, which is a horrible accent by the way. I perfer a million times the accent that many Americans have when they speak Spanish than the accent from the Germans. May the Lord save me from having to hear that butchering German accent ever again. LOL

This is Mario Luis Kreutzberger Blumenfeld aka Don Francisco.

Don Francisco doesn’t come from Chile’s upper class, but Chile has a very large presence of German last names among its most prominent families and in its political sphere. It must be the most German-influenced country in Latin America and probably the second most in the Americas (the first being the United States).

Old 02-22-2019, 10:46 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
The idea of "hispanics" or "latinos" or "chicanos" all being one race is preposterous. This is why when I use any of these terms I always put them in quotes. The vast majority of hispanics in America are probably mestizos or triracial but anybody can essentially identify as hispanic if they have an ancestor that was Spanish or Mestizo which I find dumb. My great grandmother looked very European and she is no more than a quarter Spanish/Mestizo but since her last name is common among "hispanics" in America it means our entire family is technically hispanic. My girlfriend's grandmother is a mestizo but she also looks European and she uses the "hispanic" thing to get affirmative action. If you can take advantage of it, then why not, but it is pretty ridiculous.
I don´t know how many people consider it a race though, clearly it´s a mestizaje, as well as several races living under one culture. Maybe the average American believes it to be a race, but I´d say they´re mistaken if that´s the case.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Pope Francis’s parents migrated from Italy, and Don Francisco’s came from Germany.
So what?

Lots of Latin Americans have European grandparents.

As for Italy, big parts of Italy were under Spanish rule until 1860. Italian and Spanish are both LATIN languages.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,963,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Yeah, if you talk to a Mexican and you refer to them as Latino or ask them if they're Latino, many of them will refuse to identify with that nomenclature. They are Mexican through and through. In Latin America, on the other hand, everyone refers to themselves as Latinos, likewise in Puerto Rico, etc.

To me, "Hispanic" refers to anyone who has a Spanish last name (or one parent who does), who has Spanish blood, who comes from a culture that derives directly from the conquistador culture and who may share the language. I suppose "Hispanic" includes Spaniards as well.

so now that I think about it, how about the Italian descendents in Argentina? They are certainly Latino but are they Hispanic? I guess this is what Mouldy Old Shmo was getting on about. Good question. I'd probably say they are not, because their heritage doesn't come from Spain.

Don Francisco is from Venezuela, correct? So probably Hispanic. Pope Francisco I'm not sure about - he's probably Italian.

The gypsies in Spain I would definitely say they are NOT Hispanic. Their heritage is a whole different ball of wax.
If they are Spanish citizens, they are Hispanic.

Italy was under the Spanish rule for centuries.

The Roman province of Hispania was the entire Iberian Peninsula (modern Spain and Portugal). That's where Hispanic originally comes from. Spain's name in Spanish, España, basically means Hispania. There were attempts to unite the entire Peninsula into one Kingdom, but the Portuguese resisted this assimilation (all the other small kingdoms eventually became Spain). But even there the Spanish and Portuguese had the same royal family as they intermarried each other a lot.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:09 PM

192 posts, read 118,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No, the term "hispanic" used as an ethnic label, like it is today, was coined in the 1970s. Before then it was a rare English word that meant things related to Spain.

There was no such thing as a "hispanic" minority group in the United States before then. Nobody before the 1980s would have known what a "hispanic" or a "latino" was. Nobody was ever called "hispanic", and nobody ever identified as "hispanic". Texans never heard of a "hispanic" before the 80s. Even in the early 90s, "hispanic" was still very new and a lot of older people had never heard of it and didn't understand what it meant.
You truly gonna start with that argument again?
thats not true and you know it.

The Hispanic Society of America was Founded in 1904 it remains at its original location, a building on Audubon Terrace (at 155th Street and Broadway) in the lower Washington Heights neighborhood of New York its one of the primary cultural centers of the Dominican community.

but hey a woman from Iowa invented the term Hispanic in the 70s jajajajajajajajajajajajaja

Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 PM

3,851 posts, read 2,224,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
You truly gonna start with that argument again?
thats not true and you know it.
100% fact. It's actually crazy that people are trying to pretend that "hispanic" always existed. LOL

Americans literally never heard of a "hispanic" minority group before then. In places where people of Spanish origin were common, like Texas, no one had ever heard of a "hispanic". There was no concept of that at all.

My own family never heard of a "hipanic" until the late 1980s. Plenty of people are still living to talk about this. Idiots are claiming that it always existed lol.

Quote:
The Hispanic Society of America was Founded in 1904 it remains at its original location, a building on Audubon Terrace (at 155th Street and Broadway)
There was some historical use of the word "hispanic" but it was rare and didn't mean the same thing. There was no such thing as a "hispanic" minority group. No concept of that.

Quote:
but hey a woman from Iowa invented the term Hispanic in the 70s jajajajajajajajajajajajaja
No, a Mexican American woman named Grace Flores Hugues chose the term. She brags about it today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas