U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:43 AM

2,305 posts, read 941,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
That your uneducated rural family where illiterate and never heard of the term is your problem
No one in the State of Texas had ever heard of a "hispanic". That's not an ethnic term that was ever used. It's a concept that completely didn't exist. And Texas is a state that always had a large population of people of Spanish or Latin American origin, but no one was ever called "hispanic" and no one ever identified as "hispanic".

It was the 80s/90s when that was introduced, and people didn't understand it back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 11:50 AM

142 posts, read 33,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No one in the State of Texas had ever heard of a "hispanic". That's not an ethnic term that was ever used. It's a concept that completely didn't exist. And Texas is a state that always had a large population of people of Spanish or Latin American origin, but no one was ever called "hispanic" and no one ever identified as "hispanic".

It was the 80s/90s when that was introduced, and people didn't understand it back then.
texas is a rural wasteland, no surprise no one know about that, as they still dont know much about anything.
uneducated peasants are not a good source of information to establish what is, and what is not known in a specific era.

you know that, you lost this argument long ago but you still repeat this nonsence, i think you are hurt that hispanics are suddenly nonwhite. I dont think Hispanics care that much about that. just let it go.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
texas is a rural wasteland, no surprise no one know about that, as they still dont know much about anything.
uneducated peasants are not a good source of information to establish what is, and what is not known in a specific era.

you know that, you lost this argument long ago but you still repeat this nonsence, i think you are hurt that hispanics are suddenly nonwhite. I dont think Hispanics care that much about that. just let it go.
its also a lie that white mexicans/spanish were considered white in texas (that was only on the books) in reality they have always been discriminated.

this were signs on greenville TX and el El Paso TX in the 1920s
Attached Thumbnails
The history of the terms Hispanic and Latino-nomex1.jpeg   The history of the terms Hispanic and Latino-no-mex-2-.jpeg  

Old 02-24-2019, 04:08 PM

2,305 posts, read 941,251 times
There's a really good ted talk about this subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtwmRaqBDbU

I notice that all the people who criticize "hispanic" wrongly blame the government. They think Nixon was behind it. No. Mexican activist groups made it up for the purpose of getting federal funding that was meant for minorities.

They think it was a conspiracy of the American government to subjugate people. The irony is that the "hispanic" category was invented so that people like Alisa Valdez Rodriguez, who would otherwise be simply white, could qualify for affirmative action and get minority benefits - that she has no doubt taken advantage of in her education and career.

Last edited by Tritone; 02-24-2019 at 04:22 PM..

Old 02-24-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
There's a really good ted talk about this subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtwmRaqBDbU

I notice that all the people who criticize "hispanic" wrongly blame the government. They think Nixon was behind it. No. Mexican activist groups made it up for the purpose of getting federal funding that was meant for minorities.

They think it was a conspiracy of the American government to subjugate people. The irony is that the "hispanic" category was invented so that people like Alisa Valdez Rodriguez, who would otherwise be simply white, could qualify for affirmative action and get minority benefits - that she has no doubt taken advantage of in her education and career.
thats not even the point, the point is the history of the term and it has nothing to do with the US.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:15 PM

5,808 posts, read 9,467,884 times
Quote:
Older people are really honest about it. They remember when they became "hispanic" arbitrarily and how contrived that was...Richard Rodriguez became a "hispanic" in 1972. He had never heard of that before then.
I'm sure he had heard the term "hispano" prior to that. He just hadn't heard it used to refer to a minority group.

Quote:
the young generation actually believe that it has always existed for 500 years.
I posted a newspaper article and a publication from 1910 where the terms "hispanic" and "hispano" are used. Did you not see those?

Old 02-25-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I'm sure he had heard the term "hispano" prior to that. He just hadn't heard it used to refer to a minority group.

I posted a newspaper article and a publication from 1910 where the terms "hispanic" and "hispano" are used. Did you not see those?
Do not follow for his BS, he knows all that, at this point he is just trolling.

Hispanic=Spanish is the same word. Different spelling. (he has to know the evolution of the Spanish language to know that)

hispania=España

Columbus even called the island where the Dominican Republic/Haiti are Hispaniola= the Spanish one.
thats its current name.

the southwest was full of signs in restaurant saying "NO SPANISH/NO MEXICANS ALLOWED" so how white were the Spanish?

the subject here is the history of the term.
Hispania was the name of the roman province in the Iberian peninsula
was devided into 2 provinces
Hispania citerion and Hispania ulerior
Hispania citerion was expanded and called Hispania terraconessis.
then the province of Lusitania was created (later to become Portugal)
and the province of Hispania became Spain.

Columbus arrived to the new world and called the island of modern DR/Haiti "Hispaniola"
the island has retrained its name util today.

the Spanish viceroyalty of MEXICO Was called NOVA HISPANIA (LOOK MAPS ATTACHED)

As the language evolved the name changed to Nueva España. Nova Hispania=Nueva España

Mexico kept that name for 300 YEARS !!!!!! UNTIL ITS INDEPENDENCE FROM SPAIN

claiming that Mexicans do not that what Hispanic is, is just ridiculous !!!!

he knows that he is just a troll.
Attached Thumbnails
The history of the terms Hispanic and Latino-_hispania_nova-2.jpg   The history of the terms Hispanic and Latino-_hispania_nova.jpg  

Last edited by Snapshoot; 02-25-2019 at 08:26 AM..

Old 02-25-2019, 09:36 AM

Yes the term "Hispania" definitely dates back - you see it on old maps of the New World. I'm curious as to when and where "hispano" started being used (obviously, as you have pointed out, the second term derives directly from the first as part of the evolution of the language). I've found "hispano" referenced in 1891 in New Mexico with the founding of the "La Voz", a Spanish Language newspaper, by La Prensa Asociada Hispano-Americana. I'd like to see where it's referenced in earlier literature. If you happen to find earlier sources of "hispano", can you post them here?

Old 02-25-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Yes the term "Hispania" definitely dates back - you see it on old maps of the New World. I'm curious as to when and where "hispano" started being used (obviously, as you have pointed out, the second term derives directly from the first as part of the evolution of the language). I've found "hispano" referenced in 1891 in New Mexico with the founding of the "La Voz", a Spanish Language newspaper, by La Prensa Asociada Hispano-Americana. I'd like to see where it's referenced in earlier literature. If you happen to find earlier sources of "hispano", can you post them here?
here in the US, the The Club Hispano Americano is the first known Latin American student organization founded at the collegiate level in the United States. It was founded at Lehigh University in 1887.

attached the is a copy of the Hispano-Americano newspaper printed in New Mexico in 1918, but the paper stated printing in 1905.

la Revista de Taos was also printed starting in 1905 in New mexico and stated clearly in cover " para el pueblo hispano-americano'

so people in the southwest knew very well what hispano was.
Attached Thumbnails
The history of the terms Hispanic and Latino-hispano.png   The history of the terms Hispanic and Latino-la-revista-de-taos.jpg  

Last edited by Snapshoot; 02-25-2019 at 10:09 AM..

Old 02-25-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
here in the US, the The Club Hispano Americano is the first known Latin American student organization founded at the collegiate level in the United States. It was founded at Lehigh University in 1887.

And that's on the east coast - nowhere near New Mexico. At that time the majority of Hispanics on the East Coast were probably Puerto Rican, Cuban, etc which shows independent use of the term - ie. Puerto Ricans were using the term independently of Mexicans/New Mexicans, both groups using it with the same meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or