U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2019, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
5,827 posts, read 9,478,151 times
Reputation: 2973

Advertisements

Some Uruguayan dude named Rodó in 1900 wrote the following: "aun podriamos ir mas alla y decir que el mismo nombre de hispanoamericanos conviene tambien a los nativos del Brazil" ("we can go even farther and say that the term hispanic-americans is suitable even for Brazilians") - keeping in mind something that I had forgotten - which is that Brazil was founded while Portugal was under Spanish rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2019, 04:19 PM
AFP
 
6,898 posts, read 4,235,492 times
Reputation: 5878
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Some Uruguayan dude named Rodó in 1900 wrote the following: "aun podriamos ir mas alla y decir que el mismo nombre de hispanoamericanos conviene tambien a los nativos del Brazil" ("we can go even farther and say that the term hispanic-americans is suitable even for Brazilians") - keeping in mind something that I had forgotten - which is that Brazil was founded while Portugal was under Spanish rule.
That's a lie, Portugal was never under Spanish rule there was a dynastic union from about 1580-1640 and Brazil had been claimed in 1500 by Portugal.


Yeah it is well known that some Spanish speakers see Portuguese speakers as "brothers" but the feeling isn't mutual there are some similarities but a lot of differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,437,604 times
Reputation: 3257
Found this article online about the origin of the insult " S.P.I.C". I always thought the word was derived from Hispanic but this article shows that was most likely not the case.


Quote:
2) It's a contraction of the word Hispanic. According to Negrón-Muntañer this theory is not very convincing because the term "Hispanic" was not generalized until after World War II, when the word "****" was already being used.
https://www.univision.com/univision-...d-at-hispanics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
5,827 posts, read 9,478,151 times
Reputation: 2973
As I've shown, the English word "hispanic" was in use since at least 1900, but whether it was in "common use" is a different matter. At the same time, how far back does the word "S.P.I.C." go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,437,604 times
Reputation: 3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
As I've shown, the English word "hispanic" was in use since at least 1900, but whether it was in "common use" is a different matter. At the same time, how far back does the word "S.P.I.C." go?


The article says it was probably during the early days of the construction of the Panama canal where the term originated. That is what the US personnel called the local workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
5,827 posts, read 9,478,151 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That's a lie, Portugal was never under Spanish rule
It appears you are mostly correct, according to the following Quora article:
https://www.quora.com/How-did-Portug...nish-histories


But I could have sworn that the founding of Brazil had something to do with Spain - under Spanish flag? by Spaniards? I don't remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
5,827 posts, read 9,478,151 times
Reputation: 2973
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
The article says it was probably during the early days of the construction of the Panama canal where the term originated. That is what the US personnel called the local workers.
Those bastards. Interesting though, I had always assumed it was a derogatory term against us Mexicans and Chicanos here in the States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2019, 06:42 PM
 
2,321 posts, read 945,748 times
Reputation: 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Found this article online about the origin of the insult " S.P.I.C". I always thought the word was derived from Hispanic but this article shows that was most likely not the case.
Yeah, "S.P.I.C" predates the common use of the term "hispanic". But it used to be a white-ethnic slur. It had the same weight as terms like "K.I.K.E"(Jews), "Wop"(Italians), "Polac"(Polish people), "Kraut"(German-Americans).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
975 posts, read 1,964,923 times
Reputation: 1026
Puerto Ricans like to say it started wih them back when they first started to migrate to NYC, when they´d only be able to utter "I no spik inglis" that the slur became a thing.

We tend to have various theories about how terms came about, and most of them are false, despite being passed as "common knowledge" by many. Anybody knows where the word gringo REALLY came from? Hint: It has nothing to do with "green, go" or green military uniforms. It doesn´t even involve US citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2019, 07:16 AM
 
142 posts, read 33,969 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That's a lie, Portugal was never under Spanish rule there was a dynastic union from about 1580-1640 and Brazil had been claimed in 1500 by Portugal.


Yeah it is well known that some Spanish speakers see Portuguese speakers as "brothers" but the feeling isn't mutual there are some similarities but a lot of differences.
you are the person thinking that way. and also Portugal and its culture will always be seen as Spain little weird cousin. or bootleg Spain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top