U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 02:18 PM

44 posts, read 17,790 times

Advertisements

Hispanic is an ethnic term only. White is an ethnic term and a racial term. Caucasian is an ethnic term. Gringo is a term that Mexicans use for white people from the US, and everybody knows it. Norte-Americano is a regional term that Mexicans use for people from the US and Canada. Latino is a US cultural term, and can also be used for someone who lives south of the Rio Grande River. Chicano is a native of the US west of Texas of Mexican descent. Tejano, same as Chicano for those in Texas. Chollo, term for street Mexican from El Paso to Tijuana. Meskin, term that my grandfather used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 08:28 AM

5,827 posts, read 9,478,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is the problem. People from Southern South America are VERY WHITE. People from the Spanish Caribbean are mostly African. Other countries like Colombia and Venezuela have lots of people with all three races.
I call anybody Hispanic who has some part of the heritage from Spain - be it whether they also have African, native, etc.. Are Puerto Ricans in New York Hispanic? Yes because part of their blood line is Spaniard (a lot of it is also African). Are black people in Colombia Hispanic? If they can trace part of their blood line to Spain, yes. Otherwise no.

To me, this definition is the most accurate.

Quote:
White/Native mixture definitely does not equal Latin America, as you've many other groups in Latin America and in large numbers. Asians, Jews, Muslims, South Asians. all live in Latin America.
I wouldn't call them Hispanic if their blood line doesn't at least partially go back to Spain.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:31 AM

5,827 posts, read 9,478,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseD View Post
Latino is a US cultural term, and can also be used for someone who lives south of the Rio Grande River.
Latino is used by South Americans themselves. Not used much by Mexicans to describe themselves.
Quote:
Chollo, term for street Mexican from El Paso to Tijuana.
"Cholo" and we use it specifically to refer to Chicano street gangs.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:13 PM

975 posts, read 1,964,923 times
How common is the term "pocho", and what is your concept of it? I´ve never heard anyone use it, but then again I´ve never lived in a place with a large Mexican/Mexican-American community.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:59 PM

583 posts, read 908,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Latino is used by South Americans themselves. Not used much by Mexicans to describe themselves.
"Cholo" and we use it specifically to refer to Chicano street gangs.
"Cholo" or "Chola", in South America, has a different meaning.

A person with indigenous ancestry.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:02 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,437,604 times
You don't want to be called a cholo in north america.lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj6t4oMlEyM

Old 04-10-2019, 06:38 AM

729 posts, read 381,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
its right there in the link!

"Esteban de Terreros explained in his dictionary of 1787, El Diccionario Castellano, that “gringos llaman en Málaga a los estranjeros, que tienen cierta especie de acento, que los priva de una locución fácil y natural castellana; y en Madrid dan el mismo, y por la misma causa con particularidad a los Irlandeses” (“Foreigners in Malaga are called gringos, who have certain kinds of accent that prevent them from speaking Spanish with an easy and natural locution; and in Madrid they give this name to the Irish in particular for the same reason”). He explained that gringo was a phonetic alteration of griego."
Interesting. When I have been in Colombia people called me gringo even when I said I am Brazilian. In another hand here in Brazil, any foreigner (less Portuguese) are called gringos.

So I guess make sense the origin of this term in the expression used in portuguese and spanish ‘’speaking greek’’ (griego) when someone speak one way that is hard of understanding.

Mexican is much more in touch with the US americans, the greeks for them understanding of all its neighborn.

In Brazil any one ‘’is greek’’ less the Portuguese people.

I listened sometime that in Argentina they called Italian immigrants gringos but not the spaniards, giving more reason to this origin of the term gringo.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:33 AM

975 posts, read 1,964,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Interesting. When I have been in Colombia people called me gringo even when I said I am Brazilian. In another hand here in Brazil, any foreigner (less Portuguese) are called gringos.

So I guess make sense the origin of this term in the expression used in portuguese and spanish ‘’speaking greek’’ (griego) when someone speak one way that is hard of understanding.

Mexican is much more in touch with the US americans, the greeks for them understanding of all its neighborn.

In Brazil any one ‘’is greek’’ less the Portuguese people.

I listened sometime that in Argentina they called Italian immigrants gringos but not the spaniards, giving more reason to this origin of the term gringo.
Proof of the word´s diffusion

Old 04-10-2019, 11:03 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 15 days ago)

5,187 posts, read 8,027,180 times
Quote:
I call anybody Hispanic who has some part of the heritage from Spain - be it whether they also have African, native, etc.. Are Puerto Ricans in New York Hispanic? Yes because part of their blood line is Spaniard (a lot of it is also African). Are black people in Colombia Hispanic? If they can trace part of their blood line to Spain, yes. Otherwise no.

To me, this definition is the most accurate.

I wouldn't call them Hispanic if their blood line doesn't at least partially go back to Spain.
While your way hits most Hispanics, it is based on language though. Most Spaniards, Mexicans, Central Americans; Cubans, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans; South Americans, and Latinos in the US and Canada would fit your bill, by language its a little less especially in the US.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:34 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,615,036 times
Quote:
To me, Hispanic is not a linguistic thing. It's and ethnic and cultural thing to refer to people in the New World who are descended from Spaniards (and usually with a lot of indigenous mixed in). There are a lot of Hispanics in the U.S. who don't speak Spanish, but they are "Hispanic" through and through - behaviors, culture, and genetics.
You also have different usages of the word. Here in California "Latino/Latina" tends to be used more often than Hispanic as a term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or