Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 11:12 AM

192 posts, read 118,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
The irony of it all is that Spain will fold way before any of the above happens, because spain was never a nation to begin with.
nah Spain is ok, they are just drama queens.

It might seem like Spain is chaotic country of disaffected groups fighting each other, but thats has been the reality of Spain for all its history. Nothing knew there.
Spain has a better understanding of the historical time it was living than Portugal, and thats is the reason Spain is richer than Portugal.

Salazar was an idiot that got the country into endless colonial wars (Guinea bissau, cabo verde, Angola, Mozambique, Timor, Goa) and devastated the country.
Franco didn't even try, and basically abandoned its colonies in Africa, and transferred western Sahara to Morocco.
this saved Spain millions and thousands of lives, Portugal on the other hand, basically, never truly recovered.

Portugal is more conservative, less creative, less inviting to foreigners. The Spanish try to make their companies international brands ZARA, CHUPA CHUPS, SEAT, GRIFOLS, FERROVIAL, TELEFONICA, SANTANDER, INDITEX how many Portugese companies of that size do you know? none

Last edited by Snapshoot; 03-01-2019 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 11:59 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Regarding the history of the word "gringo" I am waiting for aab7855 to give us the answer ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshoot View Post
Well there are WRITTEN DOCUMENTS with the word in it in Spain in the late 1700s
Show us those, please.
Quote:
northen europeans are gringos, nothing to do with americans.
You can easily verify that this is not the case. Go ask a latin american or Mexican or Central American if the term "gringo" means someone from the U.S. They will reply "yes." Then ask the same person if "gringo" means a European person. They will reply "no."

Old 03-01-2019, 12:03 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
nah Spain is ok, they are just drama queens.

It might seem like Spain is chaotic country of disaffected groups fighting each other, but thats has been the reality of Spain for all its history. Nothing knew there.
Spain has a better understanding of the historical time it was living than Portugal, and thats is the reason Spain is richer than Portugal.

Salazar was an idiot that got the country into endless colonial wars (Guinea bissau, cabo verde, Angola, Mozambique, Timor, Goa) and devastated the country.
Franco didn't even try, and basically abandoned its colonies in Africa, and transferred western Sahara to Morocco.
this saved Spain millions and thousands of lives, Portugal on the other hand, basically, never truly recovered.

Portugal is more conservative, less creative, less inviting to foreigners. The Spanish try to make their companies international brands ZARA, CHUPA CHUPS, SEAT, GRIFOLS, FERROVIAL, TELEFONICA, SANTANDER, INDITEX how many Portugese companies of that size do you know? none
1.Regarding Salazar I agree with that he was an idiot.

2. What exactly are you talking about with more conservative, less creative?

3. Less inviting to foreigner's exactly how?

4. Portugal has an internal market of about 10 million whereas Spain has about 40 that's an advantage.

5. Quoted "Spain has a better understanding of the historical time it was living than Portugal, and thats is the reason Spain is richer than Portugal." End Quote. What exactly do you mean by this opinion?

I don't place much weight on your opinion on Portugal or Spain I don't think you understand either one very well since you aren't Portuguese or a Spaniard but please do clarify your points.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:03 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Regarding the history of the word "gringo" I am waiting for aab7855 to give us the answer ...
From all I have heard, the story of mostly Irish guys trying to speak Spanish in Spain and being called "griegos" is the origin.

World Wide Words: Gringo

This was confirmed in my sociolinguistics course of my Master´s. The word existed long before the Mexican-American and Spanish-American wars.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:16 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,776,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
From all I have heard, the story of mostly Irish guys trying to speak Spanish in Spain and being called "griegos" is the origin.
Very very interesting. So basically the Mexicans already were familiar with the term, and appropriated it for their own use in the 1800s...?

Old 03-01-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Show us those, please.

You can easily verify that this is not the case. Go ask a latin american or Mexican or Central American if the term "gringo" means someone from the U.S. They will reply "yes." Then ask the same person if "gringo" means a European person. They will reply "no."
i dont have to ask anyone, am here, i was born here and raised in latam. and yes a gringo is a white man independently from where its from.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Show us those, please.

its right there in the link!

"Esteban de Terreros explained in his dictionary of 1787, El Diccionario Castellano, that “gringos llaman en Málaga a los estranjeros, que tienen cierta especie de acento, que los priva de una locución fácil y natural castellana; y en Madrid dan el mismo, y por la misma causa con particularidad a los Irlandeses” (“Foreigners in Malaga are called gringos, who have certain kinds of accent that prevent them from speaking Spanish with an easy and natural locution; and in Madrid they give this name to the Irish in particular for the same reason”). He explained that gringo was a phonetic alteration of griego."

Old 03-01-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
1.Regarding Salazar I agree with that he was an idiot.

2. What exactly are you talking about with more conservative, less creative?

3. Less inviting to foreigner's exactly how?

4. Portugal has an internal market of about 10 million whereas Spain has about 40 that's an advantage.

5. Quoted "Spain has a better understanding of the historical time it was living than Portugal, and thats is the reason Spain is richer than Portugal." End Quote. What exactly do you mean by this opinion?

I don't place much weight on your opinion on Portugal or Spain I don't think you understand either one very well since you aren't Portuguese or a Spaniard but please do clarify your points.
The Spanish elite understood that fighting colonial wars in the middle of the 20st century was the most stupid thing they could do. They understood that. the Portuguese didnt. they though they still were in the 1800 hundreds and ruined their country in the process.

While Portugal was fighting wars abroad, Spain was trying to modernize and stop moving crops around using donkeys.

As i said before, Portugal is a non influential country in the world arena, not because of its size but because of the parochial mentality the dominates the country.

The Spanish DOMINATE the tourism industry not only in Spain proper but in places like Cancun, Jamaica, Dominican Rep, they basically run the show of the beach and sun industry in the west. Melia, Riu, Gran Bahia, Barcelo, IberoStar are multibillion dollars corporations. Spain has 45 UNESCO historic sites ect ect, Barcelona is one of the most visited cities in Europe. people consider the Spanish to be friendly and have made a brand out of their country.

Portugal has not. (that is changing Portugal is becoming more trendy as other cities in Europe become saturated with tourists)

Spain produces cars, trains, is one of the largest weapon producers in the world i dont see Portugal even getting close.

Last edited by Snapshoot; 03-01-2019 at 02:27 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 06:41 PM

630 posts, read 525,650 times
Quote:
The Spanish elite understood that fighting colonial wars in the middle of the 20st century was the most stupid thing they could do.
What colonies had spain left to fight for in 20th century?

On the other hand, Spain is damn ready to fight and whine to the EU to gather support in the hopes to keep catalonia, the basque country and whomever will want to secede. Just look at the news.

Quote:
Spain produces cars, trains, is one of the largest weapon producers in the world i dont see Portugal even getting close.
Portugal produces cars. What you're trying to say is that there's a spanish brand name (who isn't really spanish anymore since they've been acquired by Volkswagen) Seat, that is of poor quality and sells pretty much nowhere, except in spain, in great part thanks to the government. Romania has a car manufacturer, too. Switzerland doesn't. What you forgot to include is that spain has about 16% unemployment, one of the worst in the EU. How come?

Old 03-01-2019, 06:56 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,032,612 times
Quote:
Very very interesting. So basically the Mexicans already were familiar with the term, and appropriated it for their own use in the 1800s...?
Now that´s the REAL mystery..how did it get to the Americas? How did it come to mean what people think it means? Good question.

I´d venture to say that when Mexico was still a Spanish colony perhaps the term came over and then it evolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas