Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 02:26 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
"Cholo" or "Chola", in South America, has a different meaning.

A person with indigenous ancestry.

So, cholo57, which one are you? ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Interesting. When I have been in Colombia people called me gringo even when I said I am Brazilian.
That's because the accent a Brazilian has when speaking Spanish sounds similar to the accent an American has when speaking Spanish. I'm going to venture to say they didn't believe you when you said you're from Brazil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
How common is the term "pocho", and what is your concept of it? I´ve never heard anyone use it, but then again I´ve never lived in a place with a large Mexican/Mexican-American community.
You didn't hear that term in New Mexico. You would hear it in California, in places like East L.A.

Danny Trejo is an example of a pocho.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseD View Post
Hispanic is an ethnic term only. White is an ethnic term and a racial term. Caucasian is an ethnic term. Gringo is a term that Mexicans use for white people from the US, and everybody knows it. Norte-Americano is a regional term that Mexicans use for people from the US and Canada. Latino is a US cultural term, and can also be used for someone who lives south of the Rio Grande River. Chicano is a native of the US west of Texas of Mexican descent. Tejano, same as Chicano for those in Texas. Chollo, term for street Mexican from El Paso to Tijuana. Meskin, term that my grandfather used.
Well, I thought "gabacho" was a slang term that Mexicans use to refer to Anglos/White people.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:27 PM

626 posts, read 1,239,590 times
[quote=80skeys;54908652]So, cholo57, which one are you? ;-)

Kidding, right?

Cholo = Male
Chola = Female.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:39 AM

990 posts, read 878,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post

That's because the accent a Brazilian has when speaking Spanish sounds similar to the accent an American has when speaking Spanish. I'm going to venture to say they didn't believe you when you said you're from Brazil.
Why do you think Colombians didn’t believe i am Brazilian?

Old 04-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Quote:
Kidding, right?
Cholo = Male
Chola = Female.
No. I mean: are you a cholo, as in a Chicano street gang member, or a cholo as in a "native american" which you said is how the word is used in South America.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Why do you think Colombians didn’t believe i am Brazilian?
Because Brazilians tend to speak Spanish with an accent that resembles an American (gringo) speaking Spanish, and because some Brazilians don't "look Latino", hence they probably thought you were joking about being from Brazil. That's why they kept calling you "gringo."

Old 04-11-2019, 11:01 AM

aab7855: a little more info on what I posted above. California has always had a much greater influx of immigrants from Mexico, in both sheer numbers and per-capita, compared to New Mexico. Due to economic reasons. New Mexico is a poor state with a lack of jobs. immigrants are much more likely to head to CA or TX. So there are differences in the culture that evolved in California by having a bunch of fresh immigrants intermingling with second- and third-generation Mexican Americans. Versus New Mexico where you had smaller numbers of Mexicans intermingling with the local Hispanics who often had roots going way back, hence no family ties between the two.

So... some differences .. But also a lot of sharing. For example, the "lowrider" has its beginnings in New Mexico. The town of Española is supposed to be the birthplace of the lowrider. Later, Chicanos in California became aware of it and loved it and went crazy for it, hence in popular belief it's associated with So-Cal, but in fact the concept was born in a small tiny little mountain town in the desert in northern New Mexico.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espa%C3%B1ola,_New_Mexico

If you guys ever have the chance to visit northern New Mexico some day, I highly recommend it. You'll find it very interesting.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:07 PM

626 posts, read 1,239,590 times
Quote:
No. I mean: are you a cholo, as in a Chicano street gang member, or a cholo as in a "native american" which you said is how the word is used in South America.
Negative on the chicano.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:36 PM

128 posts, read 143,356 times
Does anybody identify as humano or imagen y reflejo de Dios?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas