U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2019, 02:55 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,015,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I think you underestimate the influence China will have in South America in the next 10-20 years. I agree with you that they dont' stand to have much influence over what happens with this particular issue in Venezuela, but their influence in all of South America, at least from a monetary/business standpoint is not to be underestimated.
Definitely not. In fact it’s growing, and not just in South America but across Africa as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 03:13 PM

4,087 posts, read 7,787,197 times
The thing about being a foreigner in someone else's country is that they can evict you. Former empires learned this the hard way and the Chinese will too.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:35 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,438,884 times
Chinese are gaining a bad reputation in Latin America for treating their local workers poorly. I feel bad for people that work for them. Koreans are even worse.

As bad as American intervention has been in the region I much rather them be the super power in the region and deal with them instead of the Chinese.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:50 PM

3,132 posts, read 3,347,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Chinese are gaining a bad reputation in Latin America for treating their local workers poorly. I feel bad for people that work for them. Koreans are even worse.

As bad as American intervention has been in the region I much rather them be the super power in the region and deal with them instead of the Chinese.
The idea would be not to replace one interventionist country in the region with another. A difference being perhaps, Chinese do not tend to intervene in local politics to the same degree or anything approaching America's stance , who appear unwilling or unable to work with polar opposing sides of government, without enacting change.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
How many people from South of the border would move to the US if the US had open borders?

How many are still trying to move here now?

How much are American products and media consumed South of the border.
Obviously inhabitants of poorer economies, will if given an opportunity, move to one where perceptions of greater rewards are on offer. This despite the fact, they may well end up on the bottom of the pile, in the country they adapt. Many more go to nations, of same language and similar culture within the region.

In places of turmoil, people will always attempt to move. It just so happens, US is within the same land mass and has over generations built up picture of enticement that remains so attractive too many, even though reality changes over time.

As for products not sure what you mean. Look how many Chinese produce is consumed not just in US but the entire world.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:13 AM

5,753 posts, read 2,319,937 times
It looks as if the US is backing off. There's no progress being made towards ousting Mudburro and now the nutters are saying there's no timeline. Gaidodo and his band of merry theives aren't winning the hearts and minds of the people.

I've read so far that there are a lot of Chinese people there and with that a lot of investment. Russia has great interest there too. Also the ocean floor to the east of the current oil fields are largely unexplored but it's speculated that there's some pretty good sized resources easily accessible there. Brazil, Guyana and Venezuela all have claims on it.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:14 PM

5,827 posts, read 9,480,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
The idea would be not to replace one interventionist country in the region with another. A difference being perhaps, Chinese do not tend to intervene in local politics to the same degree
Generally seems they don't meddle nearly as much. As a previous poster pointed out, they tend to treat their workers badly but that is a worker safety/business issue rather than a political one. When I was in Cambodia last year, saw a vast amount of Chinese contructions projects underway and a couple of the locals complained to me about the same thing. One thing's for sure: the Chinese are definitely getting their hands on land everywhere. Someday they may surpass the Catholic church.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The thing about being a foreigner in someone else's country is that they can evict you. Former empires learned this the hard way and the Chinese will too.
But the chinese have a lot of money and they tend to avoid meddling in local politics. Both of these work in their favor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Gaidodo and his band of merry theives aren't winning the hearts and minds of the people.
And yet, Caracas is now in the middle of another power outage, this one lasting longer than previous ones. You think the general public has any remaining confidence in Maduro? No. You think they'd be willing to try Guaido in the hopes he'd be able to do a better job? Definitely.Let's just give the situation some time. There's a lot that can happen in the next few months.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Generally seems they don't meddle nearly as much. As a previous poster pointed out, they tend to treat their workers badly but that is a worker safety/business issue rather than a political one. When I was in Cambodia last year, saw a vast amount of Chinese contructions projects underway and a couple of the locals complained to me about the same thing. One thing's for sure: the Chinese are definitely getting their hands on land everywhere. Someday they may surpass the Catholic church.

But the chinese have a lot of money and they tend to avoid meddling in local politics. Both of these work in their favor.

And yet, Caracas is now in the middle of another power outage, this one lasting longer than previous ones. You think the general public has any remaining confidence in Maduro? No. You think they'd be willing to try Guaido in the hopes he'd be able to do a better job? Definitely.Let's just give the situation some time. There's a lot that can happen in the next few months.

I know Cambodia quite well. Partly true, but the regime has tight control and certain people with influence are doing very well. Check out Laos , for more extreme take over, but this is a south American thread and I digress.
You may look at Venezuela, even under such hardship, much of the population, certainly the armed forces, continue to support the government. The American hope, of internal revolt and replacement has not beared fruit. Guaido, has not been arrested as yet, he is back attempting to stir up trouble, but still not successful.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:43 AM

5,753 posts, read 2,319,937 times
80skeys.

I think the Venezuelans know what is going on. I think that they do not trust the opposition any more than they do Maduro. I mean really, who can trust anything said about this situation?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/10/w...ire-video.html

All those soldiers that supposedly defected? Even the dramatic photo of the pretty girl being hustled off by protective opposition members seems all hollywood to me.

Who's messing with the electrical grid? I don't know but I'll bet the Venezuelans don't like being held hostage. I bet they are smart enough to figure out that Maduro has an interest in keeping the lights on whereas the opposition doesn't. Does the opposition think Venezuelans are a bunch of primitives living on the jungle and can't think for themselves?

The opposition is a pack of idiots.

With time we'll see but right now it seems to me the opposition is not going forward. I think Venezuelans are much more astute than they're being given credit for.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:03 PM

5,827 posts, read 9,480,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Who's messing with the electrical grid?
Nobody's messing with it. There's a lot of things over there that are not up-to-par due to lack of money and resources. The government hasn't been able to issue passports since last year because they don't have any ink on which to print them. A bus ride costs a month's salary for the average Venezuelan. When things have gotten that bad, it's a wonder they're able to keep the lights on as often as they do.

Quote:
The opposition is a pack of idiots.
If that's true, you gotta admit Maduro is more of an idiot. I dislike politicians in general, but when someone like Maduro is around it's not hard to find better qualified people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or