Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 PM

14,988 posts, read 23,793,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I am still waiting for the international community to say something about Haiti.....Oh that's right there is no oil there.....We won't be seeing Marco the clown Rubio in the DR talking abouy humanitarian aid.
The US is already Haiti's biggest financial aid contributor. Haiti received $13 billion (yes that's with a "B") of aid after the 2010 earthquake, much if not most of it coming from the US government and people. It remains one of the poorest countries in Latam, with a corrupt government indeed. Still, it's not at Venezuala crises level.
Venezuela is also fixable. For Haiti it seems whoever is in power the people stay in poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 12:28 PM

1,550 posts, read 3,008,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
You could start by learning how to spell his name. It’s Guaido. What proof do you have that he’s been placed by outsiders?

Maduro remains in power for the same reason many powerful rulers around the world do. Nothing impressive about it. When you have near absolute power you are above the law in a country. He’s like Erdogan, Putin, Salman, Duterte, Netanyahu ... even Trump and Bolsonaro if they could acquire that kind of power, only far worse as he’s beyond incompetent.

It doesn’t matter anymore if you’re left or right wing.
I think this person should go visit Venezuela right now, or at the very least talk to the hundreds of thousands of refugees sleeping on the streets of Cúcuta and see what they have to say. (S)He´s currently on the other side of the world, far removed from the grim reality of the situation.

And yes, Maduro is absolutely a tyrant. I mean Kim Jung Un is still in power, it doesn´t make him a good person to be admired by any means.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:41 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,737,189 times
Quote:
even Trump and Bolsonaro if they could acquire that kind of power, only far worse as he’s beyond incompetent.
I don't know, man. I think Trump might be almost as incompetent and dumb as Maduro.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:22 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,454,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I don't know, man. I think Trump might be almost as incompetent and dumb as Maduro.
Perhaps, though I still think Maduro is dumber. The main difference being that the US being as powerful as it is, can somewhat afford to have a moron in office. Venezuela, on the other hand can’t.

Trump as Venezuelan president or Maduro as American would yield to disastrous results as well, though the US would probably be able to mitigate the outcome of a Maduro presidency.

Food for thought.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:41 PM

5,961 posts, read 5,849,449 times
Quote:
You could start by learning how to spell his name. It’s Guaido. What proof do you have that he’s been placed by outsiders?

Maduro remains in power for the same reason many powerful rulers around the world do. Nothing impressive about it. When you have near absolute power you are above the law in a country. He’s like Erdogan, Putin, Salman, Duterte, Netanyahu ... even Trump and Bolsonaro if they could acquire that kind of power, only far worse as he’s beyond incompetent.

It doesn’t matter anymore if you’re left or right wing.

If it is only the concern of how a name is spelt, in order to attempt to get a point over, well I rest my case. Name spelt perfectly in my other posts, but I will humour you in doing so with this one as well.

Proof? One day after Guaido (note) declared himself an alternative he got recognition as government by America. Stooge or what?

I'd say Maduro remains in power for a host of reasons. You need not confuse Venezuela, a country with a long history of democratic rule over some of the leaders of countries you mention.

Venezuela, was not called the America of the south for no reason. The material lifestyle and apparent desire to ape Americans, did not go un noticed by other South Americans, in my experience which won them few favours among certain people.

Regardless of all this, Maduro remains in power. He has allowed Guaido back into the country , un invited, to date without harassment to create further destabilising influence.

Not sure how other 'powerful leaders' around the world would allow that.

WE can agree though, there are many leaders, even those posing as democrats, in position, who would love absolute power to stoke their ego's among other things.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Perhaps, though I still think Maduro is dumber. The main difference being that the US being as powerful as it is, can somewhat afford to have a moron in office. Venezuela, on the other hand can’t.

Trump as Venezuelan president or Maduro as American would yield to disastrous results as well, though the US would probably be able to mitigate the outcome of a Maduro presidency.

Food for thought.
Maduro is probably many things, but dumb unlikely being one. No it is because of the power America holds, with the influence to impact much of the global world (not just region) as reason why US cannot afford a moron in office.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I think this person should go visit Venezuela right now, or at the very least talk to the hundreds of thousands of refugees sleeping on the streets of Cúcuta and see what they have to say. (S)He´s currently on the other side of the world, far removed from the grim reality of the situation.

And yes, Maduro is absolutely a tyrant. I mean Kim Jung Un is still in power, it doesn´t make him a good person to be admired by any means.
I think you will find Kim very admired in his own country. I mean God like admired. So why should I visit Venezuela and not you? Perhaps an on the ground report could shed light on why the military continues to back the government and much of the population, even under such appalling conditions, continue to support present government ? the internal revolt hoped for by outsiders, appears to have been grossly misjudged.

Other side of world? So are you living in the midst of it? Hardly relevant if not in possession of the facts.

It's not about whether Maduro is a democrat, he clearly isn't. Nor if he's a nice guy, probably isn't . But he remains in power with such chaos going on around him. Suggestive of it is not as clear cut as some make out.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
If it is only the concern of how a name is spelt, in order to attempt to get a point over, well I rest my case. Name spelt perfectly in my other posts, but I will humour you in doing so with this one as well.
Perhaps I mistook you for another poster then. If that’s the case than I apologise for this.

Quote:
Proof? One day after Guaido (note) declared himself an alternative he got recognition as government by America. Stooge or what?
That hardly constitutes proof. Had the US been the sole country to do so, you would have a valid argument. Many countries have done so. It’s not like countries just blindly follow whatever the US does or else we’d have embassies all over Jerusalem.

Quote:
I'd say Maduro remains in power for a host of reasons. You need not confuse Venezuela, a country with a long history of democratic rule over some of the leaders of countries you mention.
With the exception of Salman who rules over SA, all the other countries I mentioned do exhibit certain levels of democratic traits. Russia, Turkey, Israel, Brazil all have elected officials.

Quote:
Regardless of all this, Maduro remains in power. He has allowed Guaido back into the country , un invited, to date without harassment to create further destabilising influence.

Not sure how other 'powerful leaders' around the world would allow that.
Opposition’s exist in most of the nations I’ve mentioned. It just so happens that like in Venezuela, they are given little legroom to operate. As long as they tie the line they are fine, but otherwise they are labelled as “foreign puppets’. It’s a common tactic used by dictators around the world to hold on to power.

Maduro has accrued so much wealth over the years that his cause is losing support. While Venezuelans were starving he was prancing around having expensive meals abroad. Chavez’s kids have also gathered a lot of money over the years.

The only regimes that back him are those who express solidarity with the Chavista cause (Bolivia and Cuba namely). Russia for pragmatic purposes and China because of its investment. Even Mexico, with its new left leaning president has decided to take a neutral approach.

Don’t you find it interesting that none of the South Americans who frequent this board have spoken highly of him.

Quote:
WE can agree though, there are many leaders, even those posing as democrats, in position, who would love absolute power to stoke their ego's among other things.
That part is sadly true.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Maduro is probably many things, but dumb unlikely being one. No it is because of the power America holds, with the influence to impact much of the global world (not just region) as reason why US cannot afford a moron in office.
From an international point of view, I agree. I was actually looking at it more internally. The US will still be able to function even with a clown in office.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
From an international point of view, I agree. I was actually looking at it more internally. The US will still be able to function even with a clown in office.

Well, function being the word here. The US has great potential for massive civil disobedience, which could escalate very quickly. We have witnessed this in fairly recent times from the Vietnam to civil rights protests, resulting in National Guard being called out and at times America appearing at war with itself.

The Burning of LA last century. (for example, with numerous killed) Kent Street University students shot by National Guard. The list goes on. Only in recent times police shootings of Afro/Americans saw massive unrest in Missouri as well as other states.

Hence the potential for extreme violence is there as well. Just how a 'clown' in office would handle such a situation, would likely be an event you don't wish to witness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas