U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:39 AM

4,584 posts, read 6,656,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If Guiado were locked up, would that bring peace to Venezuela?
I message a girl there everyday and she says if that happens the people will erupt with anger. maybe some will. Who knows.

i do think it will get worse before it gets better no matter who is in power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 10:51 AM

9,547 posts, read 9,423,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Right Wing , so termed leader in exile, Guido off to Brazil to speak with like wise ideologue , before regional summit in Colombia shortly. One can only assume what Guido's visit is hoping to achieve. One thing for certain, it is not reconciliation talks with the Venezuelan government. He has turned down attempts at mediation by The Vatican and others, reckoning of course, that he is in with a real chance of becoming leader.
Talks with the Vatican were canceled because people within the Church believed Maduro was acting in bad faith. None of Venezuela’s Catholic bishops support Maduro.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:10 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,445,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Canadians have had soft spots for lefties since the days of Pierre Trudeau.
Americans have had a soft spot for murderous right wing facists in Latin America since the end of world war two.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
because, as I said, the level of education among Latin Americans is quite poor. There's poor knowledge of basic economy concepts and how the global economy has been developing in the last decades; there's a lot of "caudillismo" (the idea that some hero is gonna fix it all and defeat the evil, imperialists and oligarchs), and there's the victim complex which is pretty common among us.

the economic policies that the Latin American left stand for, even today (import substitution industrialization, getting into debts beyond any limits, etc), were the cause of the worst economic crisis in the region in decades, the Latin American debt crisis, or "La década perdida".
Mhmmm And what about your country? How many leftist governments has it had in the past 50 years?

Old 05-04-2019, 07:37 PM

718 posts, read 478,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Mhmmm And what about your country? How many leftist governments has it had in the past 50 years?

none, thankfully. Colombia would be much poorer and underdeveloped if that was the case, but it's just an average country in terms of wealth and development, despite of civil war and violence. Compared to almost all countries in the World with civil war, guerrillas etc, Colombia is one of the most developed. And that's partially because of its sound economic policies, independency of the Central Bank, inflation control etc. Speaking of the Latin American debt crisis, Colombia didn't suffer it as much as other countries in the region.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
none, thankfully. Colombia would be much poorer and underdeveloped if that was the case, but it's just an average country in terms of wealth and development, despite of civil war and violence. Compared to almost all countries in the World with civil war, guerrillas etc, Colombia is one of the most developed. And that's partially because of its sound economic policies, independency of the Central Bank, inflation control etc. Speaking of the Latin American debt crisis, Colombia didn't suffer it as much as other countries in the region.
And yet, according to your previous post, countries that did suffer a debt crisis and had leftist governments at some point are better off.

From a Colombian source.
Quote:
Despite economic growth, Colombia continues to be one of the most unequal countries in the world
Despite economic growth, Colombia continues to be one of the most unequal countries in the world

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 05-04-2019 at 08:05 PM..

Old 05-04-2019, 07:55 PM

Uribe the pride and joy of the Latin American right.

https://nsarchive.gwu.edu/news/colom...-new-testimony

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tradition-drug

Old 05-05-2019, 03:46 AM

279 posts, read 152,290 times
Colombia is on its way to surpass Brazil at gdp per capita, which would place it eight out of 20 countries. That's a bit above average.

So in the long run, I guess rightist governments do pay off and enable for macroeconomic and political stability.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:31 AM

2,876 posts, read 1,552,429 times
The Right in Colombia have been the scourge of the country for decades. If I blame the Chavistas for soeing a climate of repression, censorship, division & violence, I do the same for the Right in Colombia.

The banana workers massacre in Cienaga and the rise of Guerilla insurgents after the assassination of Jorge Eliecer Gaitan, the rise of drug cartel Mafias amongst the poor communities are all the fault of a ruthless, incompetent Right. Practically all of Colombia's ills can be traced back these two historic and one bloody opportunity/cost set of events.

Although I couldn't stomach myself to vote for Petro, I encouraged everyone I knew to do so, confident that he wasn't going to win. My argument was vote for him to shake the establishment but make sure you vote him out in 4 years.

We need a strong centrist government which Colombia has the talent to produce in bucket loads. In this aspect we are the envy of the world at the moment which is seeing the centre collapse with lacklustre leaders, we just need to harness this potential. Fajardo was too wishy washy but he lead a pool of so much political talent and activism especially among millenials and gen-z. Claudia Lopez is someone with guts and I would vote for her as president in a heart-beat. Colombia needs a strong centrist government with an emphasis on the rule of law and responsible enterprise in order for th country to finally heal and create opportunities.

As for Colombia being an unequal society, it's actually dropped from 2nd most unequal in the world to out of the top 10 although for 2018 under Duque it's risen again. Duque is another dudd president, he's so enveloped in "reforming" the JEP that he doesn't have a clue what he's doing with so many more important issues that face the country.

Even in the Right's jewel of good macroeconomic policy (e.g. Colombia has never devalued/revalued its currency in its history unlike other Latin American countries) and so called "Democratic Security", Duque is failing miserably.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 05-05-2019 at 06:43 AM..

Old 05-05-2019, 09:32 AM

5,760 posts, read 2,326,740 times
Looks like it's not going well for Guaido and company.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/04/venezu...y-support/amp/

SVTs post 231 has it right. No matter which way the country goes it's going to hurt the people. Not that either side really cares IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or