U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-06-2019, 04:22 PM
 
2,781 posts, read 1,021,483 times
Reputation: 1778

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
For starters' regardless of name, Moreno, though of a Left wing party, has moved considerably Right. Whether he can maintain such a stance, remains to be seen.


It not really about saying no, it is governments to the Right, making a predictable stance. Now if you say, Cuba or Bolivia, are turning their backs, then that would be something.
Ecuador has gone 'cool' on Venezuela since 2017.
That’s not likely to happen as the Cuban and Bolivian governments have close ties to Venezuelan power apparatus. During Chavez tenure , there was a lot of exchange conducted between them. Venezuela provided them with oil, while Cuba would send its doctors over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2019, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
979 posts, read 1,969,714 times
Reputation: 1033
Yeah...because Ecuador is awash with oil. Like Cuba and Bolivia about Venezuela, please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,450,055 times
Reputation: 3262
I don't see Cuba or Bolivia turning their backs on Venezuela anytime soon. The only reason Ecuador has is because their current president has turned right wing. Before Lenin Moreno was in power, Ecuador was very tight with Venezuela.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 08:45 PM
 
3,184 posts, read 3,362,011 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That’s not likely to happen as the Cuban and Bolivian governments have close ties to Venezuelan power apparatus. During Chavez tenure , there was a lot of exchange conducted between them. Venezuela provided them with oil, while Cuba would send its doctors over there.
Obviously not. But it does explain why Ecuador, has taken the stance that it has. South America has swung to the Right. We will see how that pans out.


The Cuban/Venezuela exchange was well known. Brilliant way to conduct affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 08:46 PM
 
3,184 posts, read 3,362,011 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I don't see Cuba or Bolivia turning their backs on Venezuela anytime soon. The only reason Ecuador has is because their current president has turned right wing. Before Lenin Moreno was in power, Ecuador was very tight with Venezuela.
No they won't. But the list has got smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 10:26 AM
 
718 posts, read 479,618 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I don't see Cuba or Bolivia turning their backs on Venezuela anytime soon. The only reason Ecuador has is because their current president has turned right wing. Before Lenin Moreno was in power, Ecuador was very tight with Venezuela.

or maybe just center or center left. Basically anyone who is not a moron should be against Maduro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 07:22 PM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,643,654 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
Venezuela easily has one of the highest number of ethnic Chinese in Latin America. Not sure how many are still there, but it was a thing not long ago. Brazil and Perú have more, but Venezuela has many, many all the same. No Japanese or Koreans, but mostly Cantonese-speaking Chinese.

China does NOT care who the president of Venezuela is, so long as the oil keeps coming to them and the debt is recognized. They can say they care about Maduro, but...come on....
Chinese exist in all over Latin America, but not Latin America is even 15 percent Chinese. Your average Venezuelan is not Chinese and does not identify with China. In short Venezuela is culturally closer to other countries in the America and Europe.

Venezuelans live in the US or Europe or other South American countries in large numbers, not in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 07:23 PM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,643,654 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Oh, I agree. China's only interest there is to provide some counterbalance to U.S. power, but China is not overly concerned about doing that even.


Culturally worlds apart, but the amount of business being done between south american and china, and the amount of property and business owned by Chinese, has been growing exponentially.
That does not mean there will be a long term alliance between Venezuela and China.

Some of you read ridiculous and extremely slanted political news too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 07:24 PM
 
24,247 posts, read 17,643,654 times
Reputation: 9170
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Economics make bedfellows, unlikely Russia/China will write off debt easily. May just as well say, Americans are hardly welcome South of the border.
How many people from South of the border would move to the US if the US had open borders?

How many are still trying to move here now?

How much are American products and media consumed South of the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
5,877 posts, read 9,499,599 times
Reputation: 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That does not mean there will be a long term alliance between Venezuela and China.

Some of you read ridiculous and extremely slanted political news too much.
I think you underestimate the influence China will have in South America in the next 10-20 years. I agree with you that they dont' stand to have much influence over what happens with this particular issue in Venezuela, but their influence in all of South America, at least from a monetary/business standpoint is not to be underestimated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top