U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2019, 10:45 PM
 
Location: .N6 A4
3,487 posts, read 4,384,771 times
Reputation: 2812

Advertisements

I am curious about music education in Brazil (particularly in the public schools). I have been checking out a lot of more alternative Brazilian music lately (beyond the genres that usual attract attention outside of Brazil), and while I don't always love everything I hear, it mostly seems pretty well-made. And I'm repeatedly struck by the sophistication of a lot of the orchestration and arrangements. I realize Brazil has a strong musical culture, but it still seems striking just how much of this music I'm hearing draws on classical music, for instance, in ways that aren't really heard in (U.S.) American music. So I'm left wondering if Brazil puts more emphasis on music education in the public schools than the U.S. has in recent years. (Note: I don't know music theory myself! So this is just based on untrained impressions, but I have listened to a lot of music from many different cultures.)

Also, I don't necessarily mean that European classical music is the be all and end all. Most of my favorite music from Brazil does have some African sources. Still, it's striking to hear so much classical influence in so much music from Brazil that is basically popular music, even if it's not commercially huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2019, 06:14 AM
 
108 posts, read 39,068 times
Reputation: 77
You might find this piece interesting: Music Education in Brazil: Music as A Tool for the Complete Development of Students. The Brazilian government has put an emphasis on music in the schools, which is laudable.

There is, in fact, an emphasis on classical music in Brazilian music education: https://dutchculture.nl/en/mapping/m...usic-education.

Last edited by Schwartzmann; 03-03-2019 at 07:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2019, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,583,166 times
Reputation: 703
Brass bands in the Favels is a big thing now....and of course kids practice the "Bateria" or drums because of Samba drums being the Brazilian culture. It also depends on the region; Bahia is very prevalent in African drumming, Rio is a mix....

Where exactly are you hearing classical nods?? More metropolitan areas like Sao Paulo and Rio? I wouldnt necessarily state that that is the norm. There are no classical influences in Baile Funk...that is rooted in American Hip Hop and Bass music...Samba which is the cultural heartbeat of Brazil has no classical influence...its African inspired with a tinge of euro strings depending on the type of Samba (i.e. Samba de Pe, Pagode, etc)

Maybe more pop culture music has classical influences....but on the ground in Brazil, I dont get the classical inspirations as much unless I am in a particular space like maybe operatic or concertos. I think the caveat to your point is the key word "Aalternative" Brazilian musc. Are we talking about Brazilian House/Lounge/Electro? My girlfrind is a teacher and a friend of mine is a Brazilian House DJ....im curious as to what your definition of "alternative" Brasileiro music is....cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 03:04 PM
 
Location: .N6 A4
3,487 posts, read 4,384,771 times
Reputation: 2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
You might find this piece interesting: Music Education in Brazil: Music as A Tool for the Complete Development of Students. The Brazilian government has put an emphasis on music in the schools, which is laudable.

There is, in fact, an emphasis on classical music in Brazilian music education: https://dutchculture.nl/en/mapping/m...usic-education.
Thanks for those links. So it looks like there is some emphasis on classical music education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2019, 03:24 PM
 
Location: .N6 A4
3,487 posts, read 4,384,771 times
Reputation: 2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Brass bands in the Favels is a big thing now....and of course kids practice the "Bateria" or drums because of Samba drums being the Brazilian culture. It also depends on the region; Bahia is very prevalent in African drumming, Rio is a mix....

Where exactly are you hearing classical nods?? More metropolitan areas like Sao Paulo and Rio? I wouldnt necessarily state that that is the norm. There are no classical influences in Baile Funk...that is rooted in American Hip Hop and Bass music...Samba which is the cultural heartbeat of Brazil has no classical influence...its African inspired with a tinge of euro strings depending on the type of Samba (i.e. Samba de Pe, Pagode, etc)

Maybe more pop culture music has classical influences....but on the ground in Brazil, I dont get the classical inspirations as much unless I am in a particular space like maybe operatic or concertos. I think the caveat to your point is the key word "Aalternative" Brazilian musc. Are we talking about Brazilian House/Lounge/Electro? My girlfrind is a teacher and a friend of mine is a Brazilian House DJ....im curious as to what your definition of "alternative" Brasileiro music is....cheers
That's interesting about brass bands. Sound a bit more promising than funk carioca (for my ears anyway).

Some of the music I am finding is probably pretty obscure, judging by number of monthly listeners on Spotify. And you are right, some of the acts I have been checking out are especially popular in Sao Paulo and Rio De Janeiro (going by the crude Spotify measure). Maybe I am primed to notice the classical elements partly based on having listened to a lot of Baden Powell, who at times has distinctive classical coloring in part of his orchestration:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgS16Ipnr2E

But to throw out a couple of the examples I had in mind from my recent listening (both from albums I consider very good overall):


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocfdvOjxs6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdbrWWSjB30

I know next to nothing about these artists. The playlist I found some of them on has a lot of Brazilian indie/art/alternative rock (which largely sounds better to my ears than American indie rock, but I'm generally not a fan, so that's not saying that much).

I'm having trouble finding other examples, so maybe it was just a pattern of two that I have overblown, as I sometimes do.

I listen to a fair amount of house these days, but I somehow don't come across much Brazilian house (not that I've generally gone looking for it).

Edit: here is another example I just found on an individual's playlist that included one or both of my examples above:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ1_pvYNvN0

555 views on youtube, so presumably not burning up the charts.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 03-10-2019 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,583,166 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
That's interesting about brass bands. Sound a bit more promising than funk carioca (for my ears anyway).

Some of the music I am finding is probably pretty obscure, judging by number of monthly listeners on Spotify. And you are right, some of the acts I have been checking out are especially popular in Sao Paulo and Rio De Janeiro (going by the crude Spotify measure). Maybe I am primed to notice the classical elements partly based on having listened to a lot of Baden Powell, who at times has distinctive classical coloring in part of his orchestration:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgS16Ipnr2E

But to throw out a couple of the examples I had in mind from my recent listening (both from albums I consider very good overall):


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocfdvOjxs6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdbrWWSjB30

I know next to nothing about these artists. The playlist I found some of them on has a lot of Brazilian indie/art/alternative rock (which largely sounds better to my ears than American indie rock, but I'm generally not a fan, so that's not saying that much).

I'm having trouble finding other examples, so maybe it was just a pattern of two that I have overblown, as I sometimes do.

I listen to a fair amount of house these days, but I somehow don't come across much Brazilian house (not that I've generally gone looking for it).

Edit: here is another example I just found on an individual's playlist that included one or both of my examples above:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ1_pvYNvN0

555 views on youtube, so presumably not burning up the charts.
Funk is the street heartbeat of Brazil. Its not for everyone though, I agree.

Meu amigo is a Brazilian House DJ - check him out on Soundcloud. Name is Paulo Arruda. You do get some of the Indie - Art stuff in my neighborhood. I live in Santa Teresa. Santa Teresa and Lapa are the Bohemian/Artsy neighborhoods..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2019, 07:38 PM
 
Location: .N6 A4
3,487 posts, read 4,384,771 times
Reputation: 2812
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Funk is the street heartbeat of Brazil. Its not for everyone though, I agree.

Meu amigo is a Brazilian House DJ - check him out on Soundcloud. Name is Paulo Arruda.
Thanks, I will check him out. (Edit: like what I hear so far.)

Listening to London's DJ Q had a lot to do with me getting to like house a lot more. This mix is getting old, but it's pretty crazy.

Last edited by ApartmentNomad; 03-12-2019 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,583,166 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Thanks, I will check him out. (Edit: like what I hear so far.)

Listening to London's DJ Q had a lot to do with me getting to like house a lot more.
This mix is getting old, but it's pretty crazy.
He has a ton of mixes. I especially love the SoulFreak series. Borrows from Euro, Dub Step, Chicago AND New Jersey styles. Let me find you a link about the Favela Brass projects in Rio.....

Glad you like his stuff

Last edited by SLIMMACKEY; 03-13-2019 at 08:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 AM
 
Location: .N6 A4
3,487 posts, read 4,384,771 times
Reputation: 2812
I found some things on youtube about favela brass. I was shocked to see the Tookyo Ska Paradise Orchestra being involved, of all people, since they once collaborated with my favorite Japanese recording artist, Shiina Ringo. (Difficult to find her best videos online any more, since the Japanese organization that handles music copyright is pretty aggressive in pulling it.)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rkB2LycTac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2019, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,583,166 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I found some things on youtube about favela brass. I was shocked to see the Tookyo Ska Paradise Orchestra being involved, of all people, since they once collaborated with my favorite Japanese recording artist, Shiina Ringo. (Difficult to find her best videos online any more, since the Japanese organization that handles music copyright is pretty aggressive in pulling it.)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rkB2LycTac
Sorry for not following thru...Im running around to my different businesses here and only log on when Im on the train. The program is a descent one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top