U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 01:26 AM

4 posts, read 19,688 times

Advertisements

There is so much over-generalization happening in this thread, that reading it is pointless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 AM

16,517 posts, read 6,517,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman13 View Post
There is so much over-generalization happening in this thread, that reading it is pointless.
That itself is a generalization. There are worthwhile posts.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:16 AM

5,033 posts, read 4,568,785 times
NIce pics! I like the landscapes and the enchilada with the pepper looks good too. Are those cactus the same as nopales?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
UrbanLuis:

You remember last week I showed you photos of the south Valley. Alfalfa fields. Trees. Well, that's in the Rio Grande valley. Once you get outside the river valley, it looks like this:

And if you go to the mountains, it looks like this:

And if you go to Santa Fe just after sunset, from the balcony of a building on the Plaza it looks like this:

And if you go back to the desert, you can eat these, just be sure to peel them carefully as it has lots of needles:

And if you go to the Jemez pueblo you can buy Jemez enchiladas with red chile, cooked on a cedar firepit, and you can hear the vendors talking to eachother in Towa (one of the Indian languages):

I didn't go to the Navajo reservation this time, but if you go driving around there you'll see about half the residences are just shacks that don't have electricity.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 AM

287 posts, read 88,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
If you fight a war with a country and lose and part of the peace is giving up land itís not a theft it is a very angry resentful loser name calling

Old 09-10-2019, 09:51 AM

6,215 posts, read 9,663,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
NIce pics! I like the landscapes and the enchilada with the pepper looks good too. Are those cactus the same as nopales?
Not nopales. The photos I showed - you eat the red fruit (after peeling). But you have to be careful detaching this fruit because it is covered with a bunch of tiny, hair-like needles. Then you peel it to get rid of those needles. Then you eat the inside raw which is a sweet fruit.

Nopales are a different cactus where, as you probably know, you slice the green leaf and cook it before eating it.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:10 PM

5,033 posts, read 4,568,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Not nopales. The photos I showed - you eat the red fruit (after peeling). But you have to be careful detaching this fruit because it is covered with a bunch of tiny, hair-like needles. Then you peel it to get rid of those needles. Then you eat the inside raw which is a sweet fruit.

Nopales are a different cactus where, as you probably know, you slice the green leaf and cook it before eating it.
Nice, I'd like to try it. I had nopales a long time ago in California. I have only see them here sold in jars.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:38 PM

3,949 posts, read 1,715,038 times
Default A little bit of sunshine up north

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Nice, I'd like to try it. I had nopales a long time ago in California. I have only see them here sold in jars.
Nopal? They grow wild along railroad tracks in northern Indiana & Illinois, probably in Michigan too (the folklore is that migrant workers rode the railroads, & their meals sometimes included fresh nopal).

In Canada? Try the Mexican neighborhood grocery/restaurant combinations, if there are any. It keeps well, but fresh is better, & the better restaurants probably have a supplier somewhere. (Probably larger urban areas, I'm not sure where the Mexican descent neighborhoods are up there.)

°Provecho!

Old Today, 12:01 PM

5,275 posts, read 4,733,888 times
I believe after the Anglo-Saxon settler nationalists (who earlier defeated the Hispani Goth settler nationalists) put the Apache, Navajo & similar nomadic tribes on reservations, it was the descendants of the nomadic tribes of northern Mexico mentioned by the student of Blumenbach, Humboldt, who kept Mehico from becoming Anglico.

At least before globalisms (then called internationalism; basically the settlers & the descendants of them & their coloured concubines [if they existed at all in massah's plantation] said f*** you to the Euro metropols; not to be confused with Lenistas who acknowledged the nationality issue) & bourgeoise state centralization, consolidation.

One world; one massah; one holy & hallow plantation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or