U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2019, 11:42 PM
 
Location: The State Of California
9,467 posts, read 12,302,853 times
Reputation: 3591

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxhunter View Post
During the Mexican - American war?

I'm asking this because there seems to be a lot of mexicans who are angry about it.
They aren't technologically advanced enough to do so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2019, 08:40 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
3,874 posts, read 1,661,432 times
Reputation: 3617
Default Spanish government is about the center, not the periphery

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxhunter
During the Mexican - American war?

I'm asking this because there seems to be a lot of mexicans who are angry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
They aren't technologically advanced enough to do so!
Yah, & there's light @ the end of the tunnel.

I think it's more that Mexico lacks the political will - because trying to take the land seems like such a forlorn hope. Reconquering what's now the US Southwest is a misnomer anyway - New Spain & then Mexico claimed administrative charge of the land & the peoples there, but it was always a tenuous grip - more of a buffer against Russia & France, & then the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 09:52 AM
 
12,275 posts, read 18,397,848 times
Reputation: 19098
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
I think it's more that Mexico lacks the political will - because trying to take the land seems like such a forlorn hope. Reconquering what's now the US Southwest is a misnomer anyway - New Spain & then Mexico claimed administrative charge of the land & the peoples there, but it was always a tenuous grip - more of a buffer against Russia & France, & then the US.
Tenous grip indeed. Mexico was just a mess then after independence with Spain (of course it can be argued they are still a mess). These provinces were a 1,000 miles from Mexico City, the people there even if they were of spanish descent never considered themselves mexicans, part of Mexico. They were Texicans or Californios. They governed themeselves because the mexican government could not do it from such a distance.

For that matter, it's a miracle the the current day Mexico didn't simply break up into independent states. They tried indeed, many provinces revolted against Mexico City rule, but General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna simply marched his army across Mexico massacring men, woman, and children in any village that revolted, that solved that, until he found that even massacring surrendered troops didn't work in Texas. The U.S. still got his false leg as well , mexico won't get that back either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 07:02 PM
 
23 posts, read 3,486 times
Reputation: 16
The thirteen colonies, the rest was invaded by sourdoughs and illegal squatters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2019, 08:08 PM
 
1,209 posts, read 1,485,724 times
Reputation: 923
I went to LA's Olvera Street. Really great place to see Mexican culture in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 06:29 AM
 
Location: New York Area
15,882 posts, read 6,248,592 times
Reputation: 12328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monasterio View Post
The thirteen colonies, the rest was invaded by sourdoughs and illegal squatters
Remember, the "illegality" of "squatting" is one reason we seceded from the United Kingdom. And "sourdoughs" applies to original white residents of either Alaska or the Yukon Territory, I forget which.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
5,822 posts, read 9,473,330 times
Reputation: 2963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
These provinces were a 1,000 miles from Mexico City, the people there even if they were of spanish descent never considered themselves mexicans, part of Mexico.
That's not true. The Spanish speaking people in northern NM referred to themselves as Mexicans all the way through the mid 20th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 08:44 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
3,874 posts, read 1,661,432 times
Reputation: 3617
Default A better claim to history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
That's not true. The Spanish speaking people in northern NM referred to themselves as Mexicans all the way through the mid 20th century.
I thought they referred to themselves as Spanish. Apparently it was a complicated situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
5,822 posts, read 9,473,330 times
Reputation: 2963
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
I thought they referred to themselves as Spanish.
No, they referred to themselves as "mejicanos".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2019, 10:48 AM
 
2,318 posts, read 943,447 times
Reputation: 1766
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
No, they referred to themselves as "mejicanos".
Nuevomejicanos. Not Mexican, New Mexicans.

None of the Spanish origin groups from the American South West were ever Mexican nor did they identify with Mexicans. They were Californios, Tejanos, Nuevomexicanos, etc. There were also several indigenous groups from the South West, Pueblo Indians, Navajos, etc. They were not Mexican and never spoke Spanish.

Mexicans are NOT the natives of the American South West. They crossed the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top