Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 08:25 PM

5 posts, read 4,639 times

Advertisements

During the Mexican - American war?

I'm asking this because there seems to be a lot of mexicans who are angry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 07:27 AM

1,544 posts, read 2,999,172 times
Bolivians are pissed at Chile still, Gazans still hate Israel

In conflicts such as these, might is right, and attempts to fight that are often futile and only result in further defeat and humilitation.

Not taking sides here, just calling it like it is.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:38 PM

55 posts, read 101,341 times
The Aztecs (Mexica tribe) found an island in the middle of a lake and called it Mexico.

the Aztecs then "Stole" the land from the surrounding tribes.

Then Spain "stole" the land from the Aztecs.

Then New Spain "stole" land and called themselves the country of Mexico.

then the United states Stole the land from Mexico that was vastly underpopulated and underdeveloped.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:02 PM

7,646 posts, read 6,411,251 times
beats me

Old 03-12-2019, 11:20 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,692,397 times
Because the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo put an end to any Mexican claims. Also Texas was an independent republic that was sovereign and apart from Mexico. But the big picture, and one that affects me personally, is the city I reside in Austin, Texas wouldn’t be the great city it is if it was under Mexican (mis)rule.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:29 AM

3,804 posts, read 2,168,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxhunter View Post
During the Mexican - American war?

I'm asking this because there seems to be a lot of mexicans who are angry about it.
Nobody stole anything. It was an agreement, we bought it.

It didn't really belong to them anyway, they had only controlled/occupied Texas for 15 years. Mexicans have no claim to the American South West.

Texas has been under six different flags, and Mexico is just a small part of the story. They don't have any more claim to it than the French do.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:12 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,717,064 times
Someone with detailed knowledge of New Mexico history can say more, my understanding of the history is sporadic, but as far as I know, New Mexico was basically a remote "outpost", already difficult for the Mexican government to manage, and was already labelled as Nueva México on maps which leads me to suspect it was treated as kind of its own governed area or something long before the U.S took it. I could be totally wrong about those assumptions, but seems like it just made it easier for Mexico to relenquish it. At the end of the day, the U.S. was militarily stronger.
I don't know about California and Arizona, but it took the U.S. about 50-60 years after acquiring New Mexico in order to fully begin to govern it.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:30 AM

421 posts, read 455,373 times
Most America boosters are neglecting to take into account that Mexico was invaded by the US army. The capital city was sieged and eventually capitulated. At that point, the Mexican government was essentially forced to sign a treaty (i.e. sell half of it's territory) at gun point.

America's capture of the capital and the routing of Mexican forces had nearly destroyed Mexico. In Mexico, the conflivt is not taught in schools as a war for only it's northern most provinces, it is taught as an invasion of the heart of the country and a humiliating defeat.

As a 4th generation Mexican American, I sometimes get bitter when I recall the greedy/imperialist nature of America's acquisition of the mountain west and California.

But frankly, the mountain west and California have experienced greater prosperity and the regions bounty distributed more equitably under American rule than if it had been a Mexican territory.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:13 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,717,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
Most America boosters are neglecting to take into account that Mexico was invaded by the US army. The capital city was sieged and eventually capitulated. At that point, the Mexican government was essentially forced to sign a treaty (i.e. sell half of it's territory) at gun point.
U.S. armies had made it all the way down to Mexico City?? I didn't know that. I thought all the battles and skirmishes had taken place around the border areas. Did this Mexico City siege occur in the early/mid 1800s?
Quote:
As a 4th generation Mexican American, I sometimes get bitter when I recall the greedy/imperialist nature of America's acquisition of the mountain west and California.
Yes, New Mexican natives were also subjected to a campaign by the Anglos to denigrate their culture and language. The only reason they kept their language up until the late 20th century was because they were living in remote areas and the U.S. government didn't bother too much with NM as it's one of the "least desirable" states.

The Hispanics there pretty much lost their language. But kudos to the pueblo tribes who not only have kept their languages, but are growing stronger with it (the kids are fluent).

Quote:
But frankly, the mountain west and California have experienced greater prosperity and the regions bounty distributed more equitably under American rule than if it had been a Mexican territory.
yeah, probably true. But the cost was that the Hispanic/Mexican/Indian cultures have suffered greatly.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:05 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,805,828 times
With the current demographics, essentially they are taking it back. Latinos are now the majority in places like Los Angeles, New Mexico, etc. Anglos are now a minority in the state of California.

This will soon be the case in Texas as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas