U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 09:26 PM

120 posts, read 52,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
You are right... Latin Catholic countries/societies have a long tradition of partying around holy days... New Orleans' Mardi Gras is a good example of that!

You are also right that Puritan-infused religion/thought rejects "hedonism"... a term which one could argue over.

I also think that this religious heritage or cultural baggage is what keeps, in part, Latin America from higher levels of economic development. Argentinians are well-educated, for example, but they squander a lot of their energies over pursuing the "pleasure" principle.
You are being ultra simplistic, Most advanced ancient cultures mixed partying with religion, not going very far; look at the Ancient Greeks, Romans, Chinese, Indians, Incas etc. etc they partied with God's approval.

There is less guilt about having a good time. According to C. Jung and Freud, these cultures have less psychopaths running around in their culture and the forgiveness factor of their religion is another big plus.

Countries like the US, Northern Europe (Germany, Sweden, Norway) have a strong work ethic, (work like a machine) they are tied to the Lutheran and Calvinistic cultic beliefs. (Where God gets angry when its people have a good time.) In this group there is higher incidence of psychopathic illnesses.i.e. drug addiction, alcoholism, loneliness and lack of culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 06:41 AM

714 posts, read 679,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
This is not an accurate statement. Latin America and Spain are very religious places, even today. People are very devout and take things like holy week seriously. What you don't understand is that hispanic culture doesn't separate "having a good time" from "religion" in the same way that Puritan-based religions do. In South America, you'll find people (young and old) yesterday and last week getting together to pray in their homes, and going to Mass, and the very same day you'll find the same people drinking and partying. They do both with equal fervour.
Definitely not. This is a very strange statement to me.
I know religiosity varies among every country, but more often than not people don’t care of the religious side of the “holy days”, especially in the more secular countries of the region and in Spain.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:32 AM

9,531 posts, read 9,414,676 times
Anyway, Catholics are supposed to give up something during Lent, and partying during Holy Week doesn’t seem to fit in with the idea.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:09 AM

5,835 posts, read 9,482,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartzmann View Post
polls have shown French-speaking Quebeckers value having pleasure over taking personal responsibility by a wide margin and in a way that is the opposite from English-speaking Canadians in other, historically Protestant-majority provinces.
That's interesting, and doesn't suprise me. My impression of the French is that their culture is kinda "half-Latin" / "half-northern European".

Quote:
I also think that this religious heritage or cultural baggage is what keeps, in part, Latin America from higher levels of economic development.
Latin Americans are the first to tell you they aren't as "organized" as Americans. I think you're right in part of it has to do with pursuing the "pleasure" principle, but there's also another ingredient in my opinion: importance of family. Additionally there may be a third ingredient that's harder to define: Hispanic "thought processes" are different than Anglos'. It's hard to explain without getting into a bunch of little examples, but basically it has to do with what's important in terms of organizing things in terms of time scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Definitely not. This is a very strange statement to me.
I know religiosity varies among every country, but more often than not people don’t care of the religious side of the “holy days”, especially in the more secular countries of the region and in Spain.
Maybe not in Argentina where you are at, but people in Mexico and Colombia definitely care about the religious side of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naners1 View Post
Countries like the US, Northern Europe (Germany, Sweden, Norway) have a strong work ethic, (work like a machine) they are tied to the Lutheran and Calvinistic cultic beliefs. (Where God gets angry when its people have a good time.) In this group there is higher incidence of psychopathic illnesses.i.e. drug addiction, alcoholism, loneliness and lack of culture.
I think what you're saying is generally correct.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:47 AM

718 posts, read 477,377 times
Quote:
"Maybe not in Argentina where you are at, but people in Mexico and Colombia definitely care about the religious side of it."
Some do, others don't. For a lot of people is just a week for resting and going on holiday to the beach, camping or whatever.

Some members of my family and me rented a cabin last friday and we had a huge asado with beef and chorizo. My father and older brother went to the countryside to see the cow farm. We are middle class family, not religious. Only my mom has been to church these last days.

Colombia is a country of holidays, a lot of these holidays have a religious origin but for the vast majority of people, these days are just longer weekends (holidays are usally moved to monday in Colombia) https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/colombia/

Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,440,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post

Some members of my family and me rented a cabin last friday and we had a huge asado with beef and chorizo.]
That is what the holidays are all about for me, Spending time with family and eating good food. I am not religious at all.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:22 PM

4,520 posts, read 3,100,674 times
need to bring back reformed paganism without the human sacrifice or godlessness. Adam smith was right about latin america being held back by the church and the crown

Old 04-23-2019, 11:56 PM

5,835 posts, read 9,482,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
for the vast majority of people, these days are just longer weekends
I say it's the contrary: the majority of people there are still religious and those weekends are still religious occasions as much as anything else.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:01 AM

2,876 posts, read 1,549,733 times
Quote:
I say it's the contrary: the majority of people there are still religious and those weekends are still religious occasions as much as anything else.
I agree, especially in the more conservative Paisa region.

In my family the entire family gathers at my grandma's every Friday to pray the rosary, during holy week it includes Maundy Thurs, Good Friday and Holy Saturday. This however is also accompanied with going out with either the family or each own's individual friends group which usually includes cousins anyway and that one young aunt or uncle and those that want a drink or party can do it.

There is definitely a separation of religion and having a good time the two are not mutually exclusive.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:41 AM

718 posts, read 477,377 times
Quote:
In my family the entire family gathers at my grandma's every Friday to pray the rosary, during holy week it includes Maundy Thurs, Good Friday and Holy Saturday
several of my aunts are very religious (all of them over 60 y.o.), they wouldn't gather anyone in the family if they tried to do that.

Quote:

I see no basis for such argument. Most people don't attend religious services on these holidays. They rest, they go to "paseo de olla", traveling, cycling, or go to a park with their families etc. Bars and discos open on sunday when the next monday is a holiday, people going there won't be waking early next day for mass.

Not even during the Holy Week there is that many people attending religious ceremonies. The Holy Week procession in my town I posted above is attended by a few thousand people, but the city has a population of almost 200 k people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas