U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 11:00 AM

5,835 posts, read 9,485,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Most people don't attend religious services on these holidays.
I don't know where you live, but in the Armenia area most people do attend services and almost the entire town participates in or watches the processions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 11:07 AM

718 posts, read 477,819 times
the entire town? do you mean 200 or 300.000 people attending that? I highly doubt it. Most videos on youtube for "Semana Santa Armenia" are from a town of that name in El Salvador. I found this one from the Colombian Armenia, and I don't even see thousands of people there.

at least half of Colombians are just nominal Catholics, Colombians in general are very theistic and kind of superstitious but a lot of them don't really practice Catholicism actively. Most couples aren't even married, Colombia is one of the countries of the World with less married people (de facto unions have the same rights as married couples); there's a lot of single mothers, alcohol and drug use become more and more normal, etc.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:27 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,441,926 times
What is "paseo de olla"?

Old 04-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 18 days ago)

5,203 posts, read 8,035,002 times
According to the priest, some 30% of Dominicans are atheist. He personally think that its more. He also doesn’t think that the faith is in trouble, just that the country has become much more real to itself. Before those people would had said they are Catholic but live an atheistic life, now they say they don’t believe in anything and continue to live an atheistic life.

He starts to talk about atheist (in Spanish) at 10:30.

This is a morning show in Santo Domingo. They invite leading people in different Dominican public life, especially politicians. This show was done last week about the Bishop of Baní, San Cistóbal, and San José de Ocoa in the southwestern DR. He was appointed by the Vatican a few years ago, but at least he’s Dominican.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:43 PM

976 posts, read 1,966,691 times
From my experiences here in Colombia, I´d say that how families spend Semana Santa is divided by both religion and economics.

For less religious families as well as non-Catholics, (that number is still a small minority but seems to be steadily growing...I have like 4 Evangelical "garage churches" in my vicinity), people tend to just try to enjoy themselves and don´t really care about the processions or making any religious pilgrimages. People with money who fall into this category typically go to San Andrés, Santa Marta, Cartagena, Coveñas, etc.

People with less money might just go to some pueblo or party it up close to home...you don´t hear or see much of that on Holy Thursday or Good Friday though, as those days carry a somber tone. It´s usually before and after that the streets get loud and people are out enjoying themselves at estanquillos.

Religious people with money will do various pilgrimage type trips. Monserrate in Bogotá has become all the rage as of late. A backpacker I met here recently told me that he simply had no idea what he was getting into when he chose to go up there on Good Friday, but it was nuts...he waited in line to even get in the cable cars for over an hour.

I think 80skeys is on to something that processions are taken pretty seriously, but monied people from here in the Eje would travel the distance to go to Popayán or Pamplona, which are the well-known ones. I can´t speak for Armenia, but whew, here it is definitely the whole hood come to town. I would never run into a family from my school or anyone of that social class at the procession here in the Centro (and Pereira´s is big and well-attended mind you), they wouldn´t mix with that crowd. It´s also common to hike up mountains on Good Friday, and usually there is are estanciones de la cruz somewhere close to home, it doesn´t much money to get to one.

Most people probably mix a little religion and partying...but for many it´s one or the other y ya.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
the entire town? do you mean 200 or 300.000 people attending that?
When I said "Armenia area", I should have clarified: I'm referring to towns near Armenia.

Quote:
Colombians in general are very theistic and kind of superstitious but a lot of them don't really practice Catholicism actively. Most couples aren't even married,
this is not unusual for Catholic Latin Americans, Mexicans, Hispanics. It's very common for an Hispanic couple to live together, have kids, call themselves "married" without technically being married, and have a picture of the Virgen de Guadalupe on the wall and a rosario hanging on the bedpost.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:08 PM

976 posts, read 1,966,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
this is not unusual for Catholic Latin Americans, Mexicans, Hispanics. It's very common for an Hispanic couple to live together, have kids, call themselves "married" without technically being married, and have a picture of the Virgen de Guadalupe on the wall and a rosario hanging on the bedpost.
Yessir, spot on, spitting image...ESPECIALLY in South America over further north.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:06 PM

718 posts, read 477,819 times
people here living in de facto unions don't call themselves "married", but they say they live in "unión libre".

Virgen de Guadalupe is not a thing here. We have our own Virgins like the Virgen de Chiquinquirá.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
What is "paseo de olla"?

it's just like a picnic, usually near a river or any waterbody, but you carry cooked food in a pot (hence the name) or cook it there, in a fire or whatever.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:57 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,441,926 times
Ah ok. Sounds good.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
people here living in de facto unions don't call themselves "married", but they say they live in "unión libre".
Uhhhmmm .... It's WAY more common for non-married people refer to themselves and being referred to as esposo/marido/etc.
Quote:
it's just like a picnic, usually near a river or any waterbody, but you carry cooked food in a pot (hence the name) or cook it there, in a fire or whatever.
In Colombia, for some reason, it's a very popular to head to the river for a cookout. Kind of like in the U.S. people do a BBQ in the city park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas