U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 08:32 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times

Advertisements

Hi, I know very little about the Americas south of the US/Mexico border. Just curious what are the best hub cities for exploring the region over a 1-2 year period.

Primarily curious if there are any good hubs for flights/transit to many parts of the region. But in addition to location I would also factor in the QOL and COL in that city itself.

I don't believe there are any cheap cheap airlines like you will find in NA, Europe and Asia...are there?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 03:47 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 13 days ago)

5,170 posts, read 8,022,345 times
There’s Mexico City or Bogota to discover México, Central America, the Spanish Caribbean, and the northern South America. From Bogota you can even discover the southern part of South America, because you are in the middle of the continent and the airport has good connections to the major cities in Spanish America. You can also stay in Buenos Aires or Santiago de Chile and from there discover the southern part of South America.

These countries have a lot in common with themselves and Spain, but they are different. You can brake them into four or five type of countries. They have even more and deeper an abyss with the rest of the world than they do among themselves.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:07 AM

727 posts, read 380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Hi, I know very little about the Americas south of the US/Mexico border. Just curious what are the best hub cities for exploring the region over a 1-2 year period.

Primarily curious if there are any good hubs for flights/transit to many parts of the region. But in addition to location I would also factor in the QOL and COL in that city itself.

I don't believe there are any cheap cheap airlines like you will find in NA, Europe and Asia...are there?

TIA!
Colombia.
From Bogotá Avianca flies for every place in central and South America cheap and close.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:56 AM

2,875 posts, read 1,546,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Colombia.
From Bogotá Avianca flies for every place in central and South America cheap and close.
Not Just Avianca but you have Viva that flies to Peru, the US and soon to Argentina, Wingo that flies all over the Caribbean and LAN that goes to Chile and plenty other destinations.

4 out of the 6 regional budget airlines have operations in Colombia. Even Spirit flies to 4 Colombian destinations and its looking to add Cali. Azul also flies to Tabatinga which is basically one city/town with Leticia therefore you can destination hop through the Colombian-Brazilian Amazon without breaking the bank also.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:22 AM

Azul was founded by the same guy that founded Jetblue in the US and then stockholders ousted him out Jetblue CEO’s position. With Azul he basically did Jetblue in Latin America and made sure no one can oust him from the company. Azul is based in Brazil though.

Its hard to believe it, but Azul already has 10 years flying. Times, well, flies. lol

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-26-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 04-26-2019, 12:09 PM

727 posts, read 380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Azul was founded by the same guy that founded Jetblue in the US and then stockholders ousted him out Jetblue CEO’s position. With Azul he basically did Jetblue in Latin America and made sure no one can oust him from the company. Azul is based in Brazil though.

Its hard to believe it, but Azul already has 10 years flying. Times, well, flies. lol

David Neeleman is Brazilian born, he has double citizenship, because that he was allowed to start Azul in Brazil.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
David Neeleman is Brazilian born, he has double citizenship, because that he was allowed to start Azul in Brazil.
Yeah, he appears several times in the first video. I also sat next to him in a flight from NYC to Orlando. I remember that the pilot went to him, which was by the window about 1/3rd down the plane, and told him that they have a nicer seat for him in the front and the guy said that he was fine where he was at. The pilot didn’t like that answer by his looks, but I was the only person sitting next to him. He was doing something with his laptop before we even left the gate. lol At that time he was the CEO of Jetblue and the whole fiasco hadn’t happen yet. He kept flying back to NYC and then drive to CT every week to meet his wife and kids, who stayed in the US when he was starting Azul in Brazil. Quite a brilliant and focused man, to say the least.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:45 PM

279 posts, read 151,366 times
Colombia is right in the middle so it could serve as a hub for flights to Mexico and southern South America.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:47 AM

Bogotá is the best city overall, but the climate isn’t tropical. I don’t know if that’s a problem to the OP. Bogota’s airport is what makes Colombia the place to be (or Panama City with Copa Airlines which goes everywhere and its also in the middle, plus Panama City is by the coast and tropical).

Bogota, Colombia

Panama City, Panama

Old 04-27-2019, 09:25 AM

The other major cities you can base of, but its a little more complicated.

Mexico City, Mexico

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Santiago de Chile, Chile

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or