U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:27 AM

5,352 posts, read 8,086,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
In Despierta America (Good Morning America) they reminded of Celia Cruz. You can also see her husband. By the way, the woman in blue on the right is Dominican, the second guy from the left is Ecuadorian, and I think the rest are Mexican.

This one is suppose to be woman on the left and man on the right. I donít know what happen there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 10:39 AM

118 posts, read 99,720 times
Celia will always be a legend. She lived in Ft Lee, NJ.

The woman (interviewer) in the video (Giselle Blondet) is a NYRican who's been around since before me
and doesn't seem to age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Here is the Cuban Cristina Saralegi reminding Celua Cruz in a program. She claims that Celia is her friend in heaven. Cristina used to have a talk show in Miami. She retired a few years ago.

In Despierta America (Good Morning America) they reminded of Celia Cruz. You can also see her husband. By the way, the woman in blue on the right is Dominican, the second guy from the left is Ecuadorian, and I think the rest are Mexican.

This is the homage of Celia Cruz that I watched with the Chilean Don Francisco.

The Puerto Rican La India sings with Celia Cruz.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:40 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,691,906 times
So does this mean Pele was a king?

Old 06-26-2019, 04:51 PM

7,815 posts, read 2,488,198 times
I will always love her music. Her voice stirs something in my soul and I just have to dance. She was absolutely amazing!

Old 06-26-2019, 06:09 PM

986 posts, read 1,977,543 times
I love this song...

It always shows the love and solidarity between Cuba and PR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQjqMpOEHWE

Old 06-26-2019, 10:25 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,566,184 times
In two of her songs Celia expressed a wish to die in Colombia...I went to the concert in homage to her in Cali, Colombia back in 2003. To this day its perhaps the best concert I ever attended, the sound system was amazing I could feel the reverberations throughout my body.

Before Salsa was even a thing she worked with the master Lucho Bermudez and his orquestral band of Cumbias, Porros & Merengues together with Matilde Diaz back in the 50's/60's.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:37 PM

5,352 posts, read 8,086,715 times
Is she still banned in Cuba?

Old 06-28-2019, 04:10 PM

7,454 posts, read 5,962,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
https://culturacolectiva.com/music/c...na-black-queen

This post is not meant to into crazy identity issues, but Celia Cruz was a woman of African descent who had major cultural impact across Latin America and among US Latinos. I feel that Latin America and especially Afro Latinos are discussed as if people were cutting entries out of encyclopedia. No one ever discusses people who had major cultural or political impact. Celia certainly had major cultural impact across the region, her songs were hits with young people even when she was in 80s.

I was once at the airport when she was arriving from Colombia. It looked as if she was the second coming of Jesus. This at a time when she was relative unknown (forgotten) by the English speaking markets. And I say "forgotten" as she was definitely part of that Palladium era when all ethnicities were involved in Afro Cuban musical genres, but less so when musical tastes changed in the 60s.

The beauty of NYC is that there are entire cultures existing side by side, sometimes oblivious to each other, growing without concern as to how the larger society views them.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:59 AM

5,206 posts, read 4,691,906 times
Beware of the post-racial propaganda of the pan-plantation utopians.

Opportunity: Journal of Negro Life, Volumes 17-18: A Caribbean Dictator, p.383.

Down These Mean Streets: search mistuh blanco; the identity politics of Gerald Andrew West (origins of the modern I love myself globalist plantation identity movement?)& Piris' experiences in France, Italy & South America.

Boricuas: Influential Puerto Rican Writings-An Anthology, p.54

Quote:
His skin tone is lighter, the source of much confusion, speculation and ugly rubbernecking. (Deadspin: SAMMY SOSA IS A TERRIFYING VAMPIRE.) Sosa professes not to care. “Look at what I am today,” he says, motioning a hand toward the opulence around him. “This is my life, and I don’t take garbage from nobody. I do whatever I want.”

Sports Illustrated: Exiled by the Cubs, Sammy Sosa Is Enjoying the Life He Wants You to See

Last edited by kovert; 06-30-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-30-2019, 04:47 PM

280 posts, read 154,065 times
Celia Cruz was definitely black.

Yet another black thread by black Americans. You guys have flooded this section with racial stuff, specially regarding the black race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or