Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 03:31 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Not to confuse various side issues, I am not black, nor from the Caribbean, nor Cuba....etc., etc.

And still I think Celia Cruz was totally terrific, and at 80 plus I have her songs all through my playlists. The woman was - and still is through her recordings - one hell of a great singer.

She was definitely an icon of her time and did much to keep alive the music of Cuba even when that island became communist and so isolated. Celia even did reggaeton, so would have crossed over into a new generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 02:16 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
She was also very vocal about black issues as it impacted Cubans.
Not only that, lots of her songs incorporated Santeria. And she sang songs such as the Black woman has rythym. Or songs such as brown sugar.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:37 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
The utopian pan-plantation propaganda activists are at it again.

Taking it old school, of those who warned about what the plantation globalists really are about.

Stories from El Barrio (search pasas raisins)

Old 08-01-2019, 01:30 PM

Some more interesting tidbits from Mr. Thomas.

Down These Mean Streets (search you ain't no Jose said)

Old 09-27-2019, 01:06 PM

Despite the post-racial pan-plantation utopian rhetoric, the propaganda wing of the globalist plantation system is flat out not going to change.

At least not with the current generation, so that means its going to land on the up & coming generation to decide if its worth perpetuating or liquidating. The current generation truly does believe in the holy order of the plantation.

Quote:
As a child in Salvador, Mercury — born into a middle-class family of seven — was steeped in dance.

On the phone, Mercury discussed the matter sympathetically. “I am privileged because I was never discriminated against based on my color or my hair,” she said. “I am an ally in the fight against racism for over 40 years and will continue to be.”
NYTimes: Brazil’s Outspoken Daniela Mercury Is a Swirl of Ideas and Songs

Old 09-29-2019, 02:42 AM

83 posts, read 43,247 times
Sucker born everyday

Old 10-03-2019, 04:17 PM

126 posts, read 97,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
https://culturacolectiva.com/music/c...na-black-queen

This post is not meant to into crazy identity issues, but Celia Cruz was a woman of African descent who had major cultural impact across Latin America and among US Latinos. I feel that Latin America and especially Afro Latinos are discussed as if people were cutting entries out of encyclopedia. No one ever discusses people who had major cultural or political impact. Celia certainly had major cultural impact across the region, her songs were hits with young people even when she was in 80s.
why must Americans always attach a racial label onto everything?

Celia Cruz was famous and she was simply regarded as Cuban, it is in the US where this afro latina, black, latino, white, etc labels take enormous importance.

There are plenty of "blacks" "since this topic seems to be about racializing people" in latin America who are famous in their own countries, you just do not know about them because you arenot in latin America and you see Latin america under that hispanic/latino, US race based cliche.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I think anyone could have noticed that by simply seeing who is the original poster. I know I did prior to creating the posts.

With that said, I think most people don’t realize just how small most of the islands in the Caribbean really are. This is only deceptive on two islands and somewhat deceptive on two more islands, but everywhere else the islands are very small.

Celia Cruz’s music had a bigger effect on the people in the Caribbean than most people are aware.
And you can take Cuba, the entire island of Hispaniola, and even add Jamaica and put it in Guyana and there will still be room to spare.

Yet I wouldn't boast that Guyana is big as in the scheme of things its also quite small, only Suriname and Uruguay in South America being small.

I am trying to comprehend your need to continuously attempt to trivialize the English speaking Caribbean. Yes some of the tiniest of islands, Antigua and St Kitts, are packed with Dominicans. Just shows that small isnt necessarily bad. I am not even adding islands like St Thomas and St Maarten, also filled with Dominicans, as you will claim that they aren't independent, so cannot be credited for their success.

I think that as popular as Celia Cruz was Bob Marley spreads further. Cease your endless need to compare.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not only that, lots of her songs incorporated Santeria. And she sang songs such as the Black woman has rythym. Or songs such as brown sugar.
Very true. One of her last songs being a tribute to black women. She was an excellent example of what a celebrity should be.

There is/was a series on her life on Netflix. I would be interested to hear what people think of it.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiloponeums View Post
why must Americans always attach a racial label onto everything?

Celia Cruz was famous and she was simply regarded as Cuban, it is in the US where this afro latina, black, latino, white, etc labels take enormous importance.

Ask Celia in her last tribute to black women.

For a people who love to use the term "negrito" (though dont seem to use "blanquito") Latins seem way more obsessed with skin color. Do Americans normally address each other with explicitly race based terms routinely?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas