U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2019, 03:51 PM
 
1 posts, read 396 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I retired to Puerto Rico 2 years ago. What do I think? Well, here is what I knew, and didn't know.
I knew the climate was tropical, I knew that in most of this region, the darker you are, the worst you are perceived, due to false historical beliefs that have been perpetuated for centuries, and just plain ignorance.


I didn't know how bad it would be actually living here. Most people are not friendly, frown and look with disdain at me, and stare. In every city, and area of the island I see this. Even the Black, mixed, looking people, are not friendly on average. Once it's determined you don't speak Spanish, it's worse. The Spaniard types, all other Europeans, and Euro-Americans, are worse.


Bottom line, don't move or retire here. The only saving grace is being retired with my wife, I don't have to mingle in public like younger, working folk. We do our own thing. I have met a "few" nice people here, but not many.


I've been to almost all the Caribbean, central and south America. We suffer in all. Africa is by far our only home. I have traveled extensively there, and very rarely felt not wanted. Why am I not there? When you love your wife, you compromise. Having said that, having lived here, and been around the region, she now says we should move to Africa for our final destination.




What do you say about all this?

 
Old 06-02-2019, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
975 posts, read 1,965,458 times
Reputation: 1026
I´m sorry you´re going through this friend.

Where on the island do you live specifically? I only ask because I lived there, and for as small a place as it is (100 miles east to west, 35 miles north to south), location matters VERY much in terms of how people receive you and why they may think this way.

Wait for my take on this, I have a lot to say actually.
 
Old 06-03-2019, 07:23 AM
 
24,205 posts, read 17,598,750 times
Reputation: 9150
Quote:
Originally Posted by aab7855 View Post
I´m sorry you´re going through this friend.

Where on the island do you live specifically? I only ask because I lived there, and for as small a place as it is (100 miles east to west, 35 miles north to south), location matters VERY much in terms of how people receive you and why they may think this way.

Wait for my take on this, I have a lot to say actually.
You’re responding to a troll post. He is basically saying all Blacks move to Africa.

I loved Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Paraguay, Brazil, and Mexico and I am an African American. I currently live in Spain.
 
Old 06-03-2019, 06:54 PM
 
279 posts, read 151,655 times
Reputation: 180
Yeah. Latin Americans in general are racist towards black people. However. I think the Dominican Republic is a safe spot.
 
Old 06-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 16 days ago)
 
5,196 posts, read 8,029,582 times
Reputation: 4269
Generally, of all the Latino countries it is the Dominican Republic that has allowed the greatest percentage of blacks to rise in political, business, and every profession there is. Also in professional sports (which is a given; most people don’t know that MLB season is available in local stations and the local league season is during the winter month, so there is always professional baseball playing in the local TV stations). You even see blacks in advertisements in the major cities, which is a major rarity in other Latino countries, even countries that have a significant black population. No one bats an eye to see blacks marrying other people and having kids with them or if blacks marry other blacks.

After that its Equatorial Guinea on the west coast of Africa and they are friendlier to blacks.

Shaquiel O’neil owns a home near La Romana and spends much time there. Michael Jordan was down in Samana earlier this year (people notice his private plane at the Samana Intl Airport). Beyonce and her husband Jay Z were discovered attending a nightclub in Santo Domingo, that was a year or two ago. Jamie Fox made a movie there and he has been spotted ever since. Other famous blacks visit different parts of the country every year. There’s also a new influx of American blacks moving to different parts of the country and making the DR their new home.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-03-2019 at 08:18 PM..
 
Old 06-03-2019, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Pereira, Colombia
975 posts, read 1,965,458 times
Reputation: 1026
I second what is said about the DR, and vast parts of Brazil are enjoyed by African-Americans as well.

I wonder how many retirees and/or younger AAs have tried to connect with some of the black communities in Central Amercia? What would the reception be like? For example the Garifuna have a very unique story, and they live all over the Caribbean coasts of Honduras, Guatemala, Belize...

Down in Panamá and Costa Rica there are Jamaican-descended black populations as well.

If language is an issue, I mean come on, look how many English-speaking Afro-Caribbean places there are. I found out the other day that Trinidad has the highest per-capita GDP in all of Latin America.
 
Old 06-04-2019, 05:52 AM
 
Location: The end of the world
608 posts, read 225,072 times
Reputation: 439
Okay here is the thing. The rap culture is killing any chance of any culture with blacks and Latino. To be Spanish you need to speak Spanish. To make things worst you have people who look Spanish ( like take the Wrestler known as the Rock ) who do not speak a word of it. Have nothing to do with Latino but the look. Many white people are completely alienated. It is the discrimination against white, Latino, and almost any culture that is not "African" enough or "N-word" enough that is causing many non-blacks or even people mixed with blacks but appear white to join the alt-right movement. That being said the mentality of everybody non-African looking are just considering racial supremacy. Any chance of getting along is being damaged over and over again. The youth needs to get away from that mental way of thinking but the problem is that the money-makers ( people who took the good or bad jobs that makes the big money from college or not ) are selfish. People are trying to legalize prostitution and gambling. That is how terrible it is.

It is like this. I spent my life trying to get an education in something and almost every "darkee" is automatically alined against me. All of those negative interactions. All the garbage media needs to be abandon.

The old men are still partying like it was 1970's and nobody is thinking about the struggling sons. The women are playing a game of Russian Roulette to who they open there legs to.

People are just sick and tired of the racism and the fail of our parents. All this knowledge and resources and parents are still leaving like garbage.



Latino people in all my life are less hostile. Only when they are the minority does hostility towards Latino becomes a problem. This is proven when I took a job and see favoritism to discrimination move from district to zone to township. Like that you are the minority. Most cases Latino are docile.
 
Old 06-04-2019, 01:26 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,708 posts, read 70,554,766 times
Reputation: 76658
Have you been to the Bay Islands, off the Caribbean coast of Honduras? Or along the coast of Belize, maybe? Ever heard of the Gerifuna people? They're very cool. Check them out on the opposite side of the the island of Roatan, from the tourist hotels and enclaves. You can rent a shack from them for almost nothing, and they'll show you how to live off the sea. They're bilingual.
 
Old 06-04-2019, 02:39 PM
 
61 posts, read 22,517 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Generally, of all the Latino countries it is the Dominican Republic that has allowed the greatest percentage of blacks to rise in political, business, and every profession there is. Also in professional sports (which is a given; most people don’t know that MLB season is available in local stations and the local league season is during the winter month, so there is always professional baseball playing in the local TV stations). You even see blacks in advertisements in the major cities, which is a major rarity in other Latino countries, even countries that have a significant black population. No one bats an eye to see blacks marrying other people and having kids with them or if blacks marry other blacks.

After that its Equatorial Guinea on the west coast of Africa and they are friendlier to blacks.

Shaquiel O’neil owns a home near La Romana and spends much time there. Michael Jordan was down in Samana earlier this year (people notice his private plane at the Samana Intl Airport). Beyonce and her husband Jay Z were discovered attending a nightclub in Santo Domingo, that was a year or two ago. Jamie Fox made a movie there and he has been spotted ever since. Other famous blacks visit different parts of the country every year. There’s also a new influx of American blacks moving to different parts of the country and making the DR their new home.
This is interesting to hear.

I’ve heard that the DR was very colorist and racist towards dark skinned blacks. Is that true or is the animosity mostly just towards Haitians specifically?

In NY, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans seem to get along well with Black Americans.
 
Old 06-04-2019, 03:35 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 16 days ago)
 
5,196 posts, read 8,029,582 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHunt82 View Post
This is interesting to hear.

I’ve heard that the DR was very colorist and racist towards dark skinned blacks. Is that true or is the animosity mostly just towards Haitians specifically?

In NY, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans seem to get along well with Black Americans.
Its mostly to Haitians and there are historical reasons for this. Most Haitians also have a certain look to them and act a certain way that isn’t common among other blacks. Most react differently to blacks of any other country.

For example, if you look at the Spanish language channels (don’t know if you get them or not, its a lot of channels), the darker ones are mostly in channels coming out of the DR. Some Latino countries have a sort of affirmative action going on and you still hardly see any blacks in their channels. Some countries hardly have blacks, but other countries have a significant black population but you wouldn’t know it by the channels that come out of these countries. Even in movies made in Latino countries, I would say 90% of the blacks are in Dominican movies (which are mostly shown in the DR, in PR, some are shown in Spain, and in so e US cities like NYC). Language could be a problem here because its all done in Spanish with no subtitles in English or any other language.

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-04-2019 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top