U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 10:53 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,202 posts, read 1,577,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
bleach is used in drinking water all over the world even In NYC
100% of the water in NYC is treated with bleach.

The thing is in the tropics because the water is warmer, the smell of bleach can be perceived as strong.

this is an example of how ignorant Americans can be.
they completely fabricated an "attempted murder" with something 100% of the US towns do, put bleach on tap water.

the water in Louisiana for example has a very strong bleach content.

actually if you go to the tropics and the water DOES NOT smell like bleach, dont use it.

here is the brochure of NYC water and bleach.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/wsstate17.pdf
You do know the difference between chlorine and bleach right?

And municipalities are not using hypochlorite to treat their water. They use chlorine, which is an element of some bleaches and not bleach itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 01:40 AM

11,661 posts, read 6,266,537 times
You couldn't pay me to go to the DR until this all gets sorted out. Yes, people die on vacation, but this seems to be an unusually high number of deaths. Indeed, most people traveling for vacation are generally healthy, or else many would choose to not travel if they were ill. This is what makes all of these deaths unusual and newsworthy.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:37 AM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,167 posts, read 8,019,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The bigger issue is why are all of the autopsies inconclusive.

It's either incompetence or cover-ups or lack of wanting to put financial resources into the autopsies.
The US government requires that all of its citizens abroad get autopsies before their bodies return back to the USA. In addition, the embassy also requires a report on each person. This has been in effect for a very long time.

I thought except the most recent cases, all victims got autopsies and natural causes seem to be the most recurrent theme.

There have even been official reports from the US government basically saying nothing is out of the ordinary for a spike to exist in the media.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:49 AM

5,809 posts, read 9,470,378 times
Regardless of whether these few deaths were intentional or not, I don't see it as alarming. Just don't stay at the hotel where they occurred.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:32 AM

11,661 posts, read 6,266,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Regardless of whether these few deaths were intentional or not, I don't see it as alarming. Just don't stay at the hotel where they occurred.
I think its been multiple hotels, though, which is all the more concerning.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:38 PM

691 posts, read 918,542 times
One theory online (YouTube) the host thinks an American or someone with ties to the U.S. might be doing this. I never had
any desire to go to the Dominican Republic. Then again, it could be the hotel air system. In the Bahamas once, I had a
coughing and breathing issue when I turned the air on it was humid and still 84 degrees in the middle of the night.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:18 PM
Status: "Then everything change forever..." (set 11 days ago)

5,167 posts, read 8,019,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
One theory online (YouTube) the host thinks an American or someone with ties to the U.S. might be doing this. I never had
any desire to go to the Dominican Republic. Then again, it could be the hotel air system. In the Bahamas once, I had a
coughing and breathing issue when I turned the air on it was humid and still 84 degrees in the middle of the night.
There is a difference between the tourists. It seem cultural to me. Resorts that have a more European clientele usually are more likely to include a wine at the restaurants and most of them would be open air, on the bars there would be soccer (or football as most of the world calls it), with other differences. Resorts that have more of an American clientele will usually include a beer instead of a wine, most or all restaurants (and most of everything when you think about it) is a/c galore, in the bars you are more likely to see baseball or American football on the screens, etc. Even the food taste different, usually it will be more tasty in resorts dominated by Americans. There must be a difference in tastebuds or something. Americans tend to go for 3 ot 4 days while Europeans usually spend one or two weeks. Resort rooms all have a/c, but whether a person uses it I guess depends where they are from. The exception is probably the summer months when its simply too warm in the evenings for anyone even if they are used to the tropics.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:19 AM

5,515 posts, read 17,674,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
It's really not. I bet you can find the same amount of deaths in PR, Jamaica, Aruba etc. The issue is that the media has an agenda, and if you're purposely looking for something, you will find it. DR gets about 6 million tourist a year, 10 deaths is actually within the normal. People die everyday. I can have a heart attack right now, are we going to blame NYC for the death?

You know it's getting ridiculous when articles such as this https://pix11.com/2019/06/17/new-yor...astic-surgery/ are published. They are legitimately trying to connect a random plastic surgery death that did not happen within a resort, with the rest of them that did

It's the media's fear mongering. Anything DR related, they will post. You have another article, herehttps://pix11.com/2019/06/20/woman-on-honeymoon-becomes-10th-american-tourist-to-die-after-vacationing-in-dominican-republic/, that states the woman dies less than a week after returning to the US. She didn't even die in the DR, no mention of any prior medical history or anything. It's a witch hunt. The US want's to promote tourism here, so they are going to discredit the DR and attempt to stop people from going.

People are coming out of the woodworks with the nonsense. "Oh my wife died 2 years ago after vacationing in Punta Cana, I wish I would have know what I know now ", or "Me and my 12 friends got violently ill after vacationing there" etc , it's ridiculous. Food poisoning happens everywhere, but now any little tummy ache is going to attributed to the DR.

The autopsies are going to find nothing. You don't hear about Canadians, Europeans, or Latin Americans getting sick. You don't see any young person dying. It's older people with underlying medical conditions that are not being disclosed because of the US media and its agenda.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think its been multiple hotels, though, which is all the more concerning.
No, the suspicious one (where the couple died) was at one hotel. For the others I don't think the evidence is clear that it was deliberate.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
It's really not. I bet you can find the same amount of deaths in PR, Jamaica, Aruba etc.
Sure. You can find the same # of deaths. But the issue here is whether any of these were deliberate (homicides.) Now, from a statistical standpoint, your chances as a tourist are the same in either case. But from a criminology perspective they are different situations. If someone is going around poisoning hotel guests, obviously people want to get to the bottom of it.
That said, I do agree entirely with the point you're making - the media takes something, pulls it out of context, blows it out of proportion, and gives the public an incorrect idea of what's happening.

The only deaths that seem suspicious to me are the couple that died together in their hotel room. The rest of the deaths seem like they could be natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or