U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 12:41 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 8 days ago)

12,140 posts, read 6,433,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
No, the suspicious one (where the couple died) was at one hotel. For the others I don't think the evidence is clear that it was deliberate.
There have been more than 2 suspicious deaths in the DR of Americans vacationing as of late: https://abc7chicago.com/number-of-us...to-10/5359819/. And there really isn't strong evidence that anything was deliberate as far as what I'm tracking.

Now, the DR is pushing back, stating that the number of Americans who have died in country has actually decreased over the last year. But that is an intentionally misleading statement that does not account for the status of the Americans who have died in that country. Indeed, many Americans visit relatives/live in the DR themselves. Unless the DR can show that they generally have more than 10 American tourist deaths (again, people who travel for tourism purposes are generally healthy, or else they wouldn't be traveling for such a purpose) in years prior, that statement from the official in the article isn't very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
It's really not. I bet you can find the same amount of deaths in PR, Jamaica, Aruba etc. The issue is that the media has an agenda, and if you're purposely looking for something, you will find it. DR gets about 6 million tourist a year, 10 deaths is actually within the normal. People die everyday. I can have a heart attack right now, are we going to blame NYC for the death?

You know it's getting ridiculous when articles such as this https://pix11.com/2019/06/17/new-yor...astic-surgery/ are published. They are legitimately trying to connect a random plastic surgery death that did not happen within a resort, with the rest of them that did

It's the media's fear mongering. Anything DR related, they will post. You have another article, herehttps://pix11.com/2019/06/20/woman-on-honeymoon-becomes-10th-american-tourist-to-die-after-vacationing-in-dominican-republic/, that states the woman dies less than a week after returning to the US. She didn't even die in the DR, no mention of any prior medical history or anything. It's a witch hunt. The US want's to promote tourism here, so they are going to discredit the DR and attempt to stop people from going.

People are coming out of the woodworks with the nonsense. "Oh my wife died 2 years ago after vacationing in Punta Cana, I wish I would have know what I know now ", or "Me and my 12 friends got violently ill after vacationing there" etc , it's ridiculous. Food poisoning happens everywhere, but now any little tummy ache is going to attributed to the DR.

The autopsies are going to find nothing. You don't hear about Canadians, Europeans, or Latin Americans getting sick. You don't see any young person dying. It's older people with underlying medical conditions that are not being disclosed because of the US media and its agenda.
You can, but the deaths aren't really mysterious involving otherwise healthy people.

In Jamaica, for instance, there were 19 American deaths in 2017. The breakdown:

-5 drownings
-6 homicides
-5 vehicle related accidents
-2 suicides
-1 "other accident"

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tatistics.html

In that same year, there were 17 American deaths in the Dominican Republic. But, like the Jamaican deaths, these deaths were largely explainable and not mysterious. Here is the breakdown:

-4 homicides
-8 vehicle related accidents
-2 "other accident"
-1 drowning
-2 suicides

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tatistics.html

The fact that Americans die on vacation in foreign countries isn't unusual. What is unusual is the number of deaths from "natural causes" we are seeing from otherwise healthy (and often young) people in the Dominican Republic. Trying to normalize what is happening now is misguided and not supported by the facts.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:27 PM

5,431 posts, read 8,119,931 times
How many tourists did Jamaica received in 2018 vs Dominican Republic?

What percentage of the totals for each country was from the USA? What is that in actual numbers?

This is important if people want talk about things in context.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:41 PM

19 posts, read 6,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The fact that Americans die on vacation in foreign countries isn't unusual. What is unusual is the number of deaths from "natural causes" we are seeing from otherwise healthy (and often young) people in the Dominican Republic. Trying to normalize what is happening now is misguided and not supported by the facts.
Is this what healthy and young people look like where you're from? Most of these people who died where about 60, many where overweight with health issues, some even had conditions which required dialysis treatment. Is that what healthy Americans look like nowadays? There's nothing normal about that. lol The fact is DR receives more than 6 million tourists every year, and less than half are from the USA so why do these Americans die so often compared to tourists from Europe, Canada, South America, etc? Do you think someone is actually targeting Americans specifically? Be direct and honest, what do YOU think is going on. To me it's pretty obvious these people have crappy health, so when they come here to a tropical country, there's too much fun and sun for them, they have way too many drinks, don't take care of their own health, these are people have no disciple and respect for their own bodies clearly, so they end up dead.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:01 PM

Tourism in DR is also very varied. The most popular is the beach and resorts, that’s what draw most people to the country (its really a handful of beaches that are popular with tourists, most nice beaches tend to have little people on them). There is other types of tourism too for people that are more adventurous (Cabarete is a mecca for all sorts of watersports and every June they host the international windsurfing competition, it's suppose to be the windsurfing capital in the Americas; near Jarabacoa is the Caribbean only white-water rafting river; etc).

It also has the most golf courses in the Caribbean with two constantly ranked in the world’s 100 best courses (Teeth of the Dog near La Romana is one of them and can be played in Microsoft golfing games for the PC, Punta Espada in Punta Cana is the other one and formed part of the PGA Tours). Other courses are also sought after and very popular (you can search photos of Playa Grande golf on the north coast, La Cana Golf Club in Punta Cans, or The Links Dye Fore outside La Romana among others). Many of these courses are designed by golf giants like the late Robert Trent Jones Sr, his son, Pete Dye, Jack Nicklaus and other people big in golf.

La Cana Golf Club

https://www.hiddenlinksgolf.com/cari...a-golf-course/

Punta Espada

Punta Espada Golf Club - Punta Cana, Dominican Republic - Nicklaus Golf Course Design

Playa Grande

https://www.playagrande.com/golf/

Teeth of the Dog

https://www.golfzoo.com/-casa-de-cam...f-the-dog-.htm

Jarabacoa Golf Club

Jarabacoa Golf Club - Inicio

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-23-2019 at 04:29 PM..

Old 06-23-2019, 04:44 PM

6,061 posts, read 9,573,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
How many tourists did Jamaica received in 2018 vs Dominican Republic?
This is a good question. Need to compare per-capita when comparing two places.
Did anyone notice that 6 Americans were killed by homicide in DR in 2018? That seems in-line with what's happening in 2019 so far.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banilejo View Post
Is this what healthy and young people look like where you're from? Most of these people who died where about 60, many where overweight with health issues, some even had conditions which required dialysis treatment. Is that what healthy Americans look like nowadays? There's nothing normal about that. lol The fact is DR receives more than 6 million tourists every year, and less than half are from the USA so why do these Americans die so often compared to tourists from Europe, Canada, South America, etc? Do you think someone is actually targeting Americans specifically? Be direct and honest, what do YOU think is going on. To me it's pretty obvious these people have crappy health, so when they come here to a tropical country, there's too much fun and sun for them, they have way too many drinks, don't take care of their own health, these are people have no disciple and respect for their own bodies clearly, so they end up dead.

Stop acting like this recent spate of deaths is normal. Its not, as is seen from the statistics of deaths in that country of Americans over the years.

We've seen the kind of things Americans have died from in the DR and similar countries over the years. And 40s to 50s something year olds haven't been dying from "natural causes"

As to your other question, I can't say that more Americans die each year than tourists from other countries; I don't have those comparative statistics. What I can say, however (as provided by the State Department source I linked earlier) is that most deaths of Americans in the DR over the years have been homicides and auto-related accidents; not "natural causes" under suspicious circumstances.

If your hypothesis was true, then I'd expect to see similar instances of deaths year by year. But that is not the case.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:01 PM

Why does Prospectheightresident completely ignores my post #33?

A simple answer would be nice.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Why does Prospectheightresident completely ignores my post #33?

A simple answer would be nice.
You could have made it clear you were directing it to me

But I don't know the answer. The site I linked to shows US tourist deaths per year by country. You can look it up for statistics for 2018 for DR, Jamaica, etc. But I am not sure where to get accurate numbers for tourists by country/deaths by tourists by country outside of US tourists.

For the purpose of this argument, though, that isn't necessary to show that what we are seeing now with US tourists is not normal. Looking at statistics for US tourist deaths by year, most US tourist deaths in the DR before this recent crisis (if you want to call it that) were fairly explainable, with homicide and auto-related accidents leading the way.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:38 AM

15,958 posts, read 36,326,747 times
Just saw this one... he survived an attack. It's from a few days ago, but another story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L90DYeszpso

From a YouTuber who was robbed in her hotel room by an 'Inside Job' and the Hotel Staff was even dodgier in their reaction when reported:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxpRKmvD_LM

Another YouTube with Dominicans in their hotel room and a Hotel Staff that didn't think it was strange.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID6php7cShU

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 06-24-2019 at 04:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or